National Cadet Special Activities

Started by Grumpy, October 13, 2008, 09:38:07 PM

Grumpy

Does anyone know if the special activities for 2009 have been posted yet?  We usually have until Dec 31 to apply but, so far, everything I've looked at talks about the 2008 activities.  Last year I had 3 participate.  I'd like to double that this year.  Thanks for the help.

CAP Producer

AL PABON, Major, CAP

notaNCO forever

jeders

I'm pretty sure that they announce them around the first of November with applications starting the first of December.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Grumpy

Thank you.  I thought they were posted around Sept.  I must remind myself to be patient.

jeders

Quote from: Grumpy on October 14, 2008, 04:02:54 PM
Thank you.  I thought they were posted around Sept.  I must remind myself to be patient.

No prob, sometimes it seems like it takes forever for them to be announced.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

MitchCat

hey thanks... I was wondering the same.  Now I have to see if I can't find the Wing schedule of events so that I can figure out what events to apply for...  I'll most likely be gone every single week in summer. :D
Catherine "Cat" G. Sedy, C/TSgt, CAP
Bravo Flight Sergeant
Peninsula Composite Squadron, PCR-WA-051
Encampment Honor Cadet, CFXIII Summer 2008
Ground and Urban Direction Finding Team Task O-0102-3-f: ...Sleep whenever possible.

rebowman

Posted in Nov & have until 31 Dec to apply. 

Primaries & alternates are notified in April.

Grumpy

Quote from: rebowman on October 23, 2008, 07:26:10 PM

You're a gentleman and a scholar sir.  I had 3 take part last year and I'd like to get a minimum of 6 this year.

rebowman

Quote from: Grumpy on October 23, 2008, 09:06:09 PM

You're a gentleman and a scholar sir.  I had 3 take part last year and I'd like to get a minimum of 6 this year.

Last year, our Wing had 7 NCSA participants - 4 of those went to National Blue Beret!

Grumpy

I think the cadets have a lot of great activities.  More than what we had in the late 1950's.
IACE is the crowning jewel.

DC

Quote from: rebowman on October 24, 2008, 04:49:38 PM

Last year, our Wing had 7 NCSA participants - 4 of those went to National Blue Beret!
How large is your wing? We had two cadets from my squadron alone go, and one went to both COS and NBB. (the other also went to COS)

LtCol057

I'd love for some of my cadets to apply for special activities.  We used to have some apply every year. In 97,  I applied for NBB. At the review board, they were surprised. Said they didn't know what to do, they had never had a senior member apply.  Finally, one of them asked me if I'd ever been to an encampment, I told him once as a cadet, and 7 times as a senior.  After I got home from Blue Beret, I kept talking it up, finally had a couple cadets go over the next few years. Trying to get them motivated again, but I'm lucky to get them to go to encampment. Used to, we had 100% cadets from my squadron at encampment.

rebowman

QuoteHow large is your wing? We had two cadets from my squadron alone go, and one went to both COS and NBB. (the other also went to COS)

We have 100 cadets in our wing.

2 of the 7 cadets were originally selected as alternates but were notified later of being changed to a primary. Tags - MIKE

rebowman

Quote from: LtCol057 on October 24, 2008, 11:02:52 PM
After I got home from Blue Beret, I kept talking it up, finally had a couple cadets go over the next few years. Trying to get them motivated again, but I'm lucky to get them to go to encampment. Used to, we had 100% cadets from my squadron at encampment.

As a cadet, I went to NBB in 1996 & 1997.  I had a great time.

It is also hard for me to get cadets from my squadron to attend encampments.

DC

Quote from: rebowman on October 25, 2008, 01:15:37 AM

QuoteHow large is your wing? We had two cadets from my squadron alone go, and one went to both COS and NBB. (the other also went to COS)

We have 100 cadets in our wing.

2 of the 7 cadets were originally selected as alternates but were notified later of being changed to a primary.
Oh, that would explain it....

Grumpy

Quote from: DC on October 24, 2008, 05:27:49 PM
Quote from: rebowman on October 24, 2008, 04:49:38 PM

How large is your wing? We had two cadets from my squadron alone go, and one went to both COS and NBB. (the other also went to COS)

We have 1194 cadets in the California Wing.

Grumpy

This week-end I was on staff at our NCOS school at March ARB.  We had 84 cadets in attendance.

rebowman

QuoteWe have 1194 cadets in the California Wing.

California is also a big state.

Grumpy

Quote from: rebowman on October 27, 2008, 04:23:23 PM

Funny how it works out that way.  ;D  I just answered the question Texas is a big state too.

jimmydeanno

I don't know what wing you are in, but among the wings that only have about 100 cadets, RI looked good.  So, if you look at it this way:

Population of California: 36,457,549 (census 2006)
Members in CAP: 3141
Percentage of Population: 0.000086%

Population of Rhode Island: 1,067,610 (census 2006)
Members in CAP: 253
Pecentage of Population: 0.00024%

Population of New Hampshire (Basis for comparison to RI): 1,314,895 (census 2006)
Members in CAP: 567
Percentage of Population: 0.00043%

So California is not a big wing compared to what it could or should be. If we used the same penetration rate as NH above, California should be at over 15K members...but I digress.

But anyway, like above, my squadron had 4 cadets that went to NCSAs last year.  4 of 45, so about 10%.  By that logic, a wing with 100 cadets should get about 10 slots, not 5 or 7...seems a little skewed to me.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Grumpy

I hope I didn't sound like I was bragging because I wasn't.  I just know that our squadron wasn't sending that many cadets to these programs and I'm trying to support them by pushing them at our meetings.

Keep up the good work you do. 

rebowman

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 27, 2008, 05:37:32 PM

But anyway, like above, my squadron had 4 cadets that went to NCSAs last year.  4 of 45, so about 10%.  By that logic, a wing with 100 cadets should get about 10 slots, not 5 or 7...seems a little skewed to me.

If I remember correctly, all cadets that applied were accepted. I think if we would of had 10 slots if we had 10 who applied.

Although, I wish I understood exactly how NHQ does the slotting.....two of my cadets went to NBB in 07, applied this year & were selected as primaries.

Two additional cadets applied for NBB as first-time attendees.  Initially, they were selected as alternates. (later notified of being changed to primary.)

I feel that it really is not fair that 2 cadets that had already attended were initially chosen over cadets that hadn't.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: rebowman on October 28, 2008, 02:01:44 AM
Although, I wish I understood exactly how NHQ does the slotting.....two of my cadets went to NBB in 07, applied this year & were selected as primaries.

Information on how NHQ slots NCSAs: http://www.cap.gov/index.cfm?nodeID=6996&audienceID=4

Download the memo here: http://www.cap.gov/documents/NCSA_Slotting_Memo.pdf
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

rebowman

I have seen that & read it many times but it fails to go into the 'behind-the-scenes" thinking that goes on.

I know points are given for various things (age, years in, previous # of NCSAs, etc....).  However, that doesn't necessary make everything fair.

What if several cadets have the same number of points?  How do they really determine who gets slotted & who doesn't?

Their memo fails to answer those questions.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: rebowman on October 28, 2008, 06:35:58 PM
I have seen that & read it many times but it fails to go into the 'behind-the-scenes" thinking that goes on.

I know points are given for various things (age, years in, previous # of NCSAs, etc....).  However, that doesn't necessary make everything fair.

What if several cadets have the same number of points?  How do they really determine who gets slotted & who doesn't?

Their memo fails to answer those questions.

Quote from: the memoAge is the tie-breaker when multiple cadets have the same score.

Grumpy

".....  However, that doesn't necessary make everything fair."

You know, as much as we try, life is not fair.  I have been in positions where I had to make that decision and no matter how I decided somebody said, "that's not fair".  What do you say, "OK cancel the entire program"?  Now everybody loses out, is that fair?

sjtrupp

The memo does explain how cadets are slotted.  Now, you might not have all of the information yourself, such as Green lighting, but it is a fairly simple system.  Another consideration would be if the cadets applied for staff.

If you have suggestions for how to improve the scoring system, making it more fair, let's hear them.  But this is SO MUCH better than in years past when no one could determine why or how cadets were slotted.

Oh, and they extended the deadline to apply for NCSAs until Jan 15th last year, and they'll probably do it again this year.  This allows the cadets who have attended a winter encampment to show their credit before applying.

sjt

ol'fido

Question: Before last year when the new program went into effect, was any wing besides IL doing special activities review boards? Just curious.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

notaNCO forever

jimmydeanno

cnitas

Maryland had held a board for a very long time (at least 15 yrs)
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

RickFranz

Quote from: olefido on October 30, 2008, 12:10:13 AM
Question: Before last year when the new program went into effect, was any wing besides IL doing special activities review boards? Just curious.

Kansas does and will again this year.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

LtCol057

NC has a review board for Special Activities if someone applies.  Even senior members have to go thru it.

ol'fido

I thought we were the last of the Mohicans but I guess not. I still like the idea of one because some of the cadets we were getting at the review boards worried me and quite a few of the seniors did to.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

notaNCO forever

Has anyone checked to see if the application for NCSAs is up yet I can't find it and it's after November 1.

I looked earlier today.   It's still last year's dates.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Grumpy

Here you go gentlemen, right from the horses mouth so to speak.

Details for the 2009 activities are expected later this week.  Members will be able to apply from 1 December -15 January, 2009.

Sincerely,
- joe

JOE CURRY
Cadet Programs

notaNCO forever

COS starts the day my encampment ends should be fun for me.

Grumpy

Quote from: helper on November 06, 2008, 05:46:05 AM
The 2009 NCSA url :

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cadet_programs/activities/national_special_activities/index.cfm

Helper,

Thank you very much.  I've passed the URL on to all my cadets and I intend to have a meeting devoted to talking about the activities.  Cadets have so many neat things to do I'd like to see they take advantage of them.

Thanks again and enjoy COS

Brian Billing, Lt Col, CAP

MitchCat

WOOT!! finally!! I've been waiting for this day for the past week... Anywho, I looked up the application process and then checked eServices... I found out pretty quickly that my eServices account (at least) doesn't have the link for "NCSA Menu".  Any suggestions? I was also wondering, is there any other alternate application method if I can't get eServices to work for me? I'd hate to be aced out of applying because of a technical difficulty... Thanks!!
V/R
Bravo Flight Sergeant
Ground and Urban Direction Finding Team Task O-0102-3-f: ...Sleep whenever possible.

notaNCO forever

It's not on my e services section either I think that is because you are not supposed to apply until December first.

MitchCat

Probably.  I got the same reply from someone else over at CadetStuff, so that's what I'm thinking now. Phooey. I was so excited to apply right now... :(
Bravo Flight Sergeant

notaNCO forever

I'm just happy the info is posted so when Dec. 1 comes around I can get the application in.