Main Menu

NESA Accomodations?

Started by Nomex Maximus, June 11, 2008, 12:37:51 AM

Nomex Maximus

Yo.

I am signed up for NESA mission airscrew training first session. Mission pilot.

What are the "open bay barracks" like? Air conditioning? Mosquitos? Snoring old men? Toilets without stalls?

Do they provide food or do we have to pay for it?

Should I opt for hotel instead?

Can I get qualified for 182 while there?

Should I have joined the Salvation Army instead?

Will anyone want to have photos taken with me to prove that they met the legend that is Nomex?

? ? ?

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

Johnny Yuma

Last I'd seen, although I hadn't planned on going, is that everything's still a go, including lodging. Apparently the NESa area wasn't hit all that bad.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

sarflyer

Dear Almighty nomex,

Thank you so much for gracing us with your presence at the MAS this year. 

To answer your questions, the MAS stays in WW2 style barracks with the rest of us minions.  ;D

The only air conditioning is the large fans at the end of each bay blasting 24/7.  There is no charge for this wonder sleeping arrangements.  It's part of the course cost.  The food also is part of the cost.

Each morning the MAS folks load up and go to Columbus Airport where the school is actually run in the air conditioned main terminal building. 

There was about 15 aircraft from 172's up to Airvan's so you probably can get checked out in whatever you like but I would email the MAS commandant ahead of time to be sure.

I bow to your green, fire-retardant wisdom on any other issues.

NESA Web Content Manager
Lt. Col. Paul F. Rowen, CAP
MAWG Director of Information Technology
NESA Webmaster
paul.rowen@mawg.cap.gov

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on June 11, 2008, 12:37:51 AM
Yo.

What are the "open bay barracks" like? Air conditioning? Mosquitos? Snoring old men? Toilets without stalls?

Will anyone want to have photos taken with me to prove that they met the legend that is Nomex?

? ? ?

Nomex while I can't answer the other questions you posted I could go for a picture.  That is if we're in the same week.  Which week of MAS are you going?  If it's the first week bring your camera.  If it's the second week I don't think they'd let us ground pounders go near the airheads.   :P

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Bluelakes 13

Yes, you stay in the barracks with the rest of the NESA folks.  Hot, snoring, ugly toilets.
Food is provided.

Several members and I from my class in '06 stayed at a hotel.  And usually ate out.  I don't do barracks.

I'm looking forward to the barracks.  Just for the experience.   

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Nomex Maximus

Yes, but are these classic no-stall toilets? You just walk into the room and there are three guys sitting out in the open?
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

RiverAux

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on June 11, 2008, 07:59:38 PM

Yes, but are these classic no-stall toilets? You just walk into the room and there are three guys sitting out in the open?
An experience I'm glad I've missed...

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

That looks a lot like the Latrines at Attenbury!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SJFedor

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on June 11, 2008, 12:37:51 AM
Yo.

? ? ?

Welcome! Fresh meat!

They're open barracks, just like it sounds. Decent condition, no lead paint falling off the walls. Open bay showers, but the crappers have stalls. As long as you keep the door shut, the bugs are minimal. Old men snoring is drowned out by the big fans in there to keep it cool. Bring your iPod, it helps.

Food is provided. Breakfast is at Atterbury, Lunch is brought out to the airport, Dinner is either at Atterbury or at the airport, depending on how late we run. There's also one night we all go out to a steakhouse or something like that for dinner. There's also a restaurant in the terminal building at BAK which is really good.

You can get a hotel if you're too much of a princess sissy....if you're not compatable with barracks.  :P There were...4 people that elected to stay in a hotel last year instead of the barracks. It's not that terrible.

If there's a need for you to get 182 qualified while you're there, they'll arrange it, but the school is not a form 5 clinic, so if you're qualified in a 172, and they assign you to a 172, you don't need to get qual'ed on a 182.

Probably. Would have been cheaper.

And there may be some other legends besides you, Nomex. My wingman last year was none other then M6  ;D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: Eclipse on June 11, 2008, 08:47:32 PM
Heh...

Oh my gosh... that picture there is enough to make me never ever again post anything humorous. Why, oh why on earth would any artist spend time painting a picture like that?? I am so sorry now that I ever aske d the question...
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

Nomex Maximus

Actually that looks like the restroom at work, only cleaner...
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

With the open bay barracks are we divided up by what school we are in?  Or is it everyone for themself when choosing a bunk? 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Eclipse

There's a lot of NESA pics here: http://www.pbase.com/pathfindar/gsar04

As well as some pics of the barracks (none of the latrines I can find, though).   :D

"That Others May Zoom"

Bluelakes 13

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on June 12, 2008, 11:04:28 AM
Oh my gosh... that picture there is enough to make me never ever again post anything humorous. Why, oh why on earth would any artist spend time painting a picture like that?? I am so sorry now that I ever aske d the question...

People were a lot less uptight about things back then. 

Heck, live in Europe for a few months.  Our Puritanical sensibilities have not waned in 300+ years...

now I thought for space the beds would be bunks

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: Eclipse on June 12, 2008, 02:31:58 PM

Now that's not a WW2 barracks; that looks like someting from the sixties. I lived in WW2 style barracks at Fort Benning. We are talking two story barracks with bunk beds.
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

SJFedor

Quote from: Orion Pax on June 12, 2008, 01:23:07 PM
With the open bay barracks are we divided up by what school we are in?  Or is it everyone for themself when choosing a bunk? 

Every school has their own "building", with females from all schools lumped into one building. Last year MAS had one half of the building, and I believe NESA Staff was in the other half.

Quote from: Orion Pax on June 12, 2008, 02:56:08 PM
now I thought for space the beds would be bunks

Some are, some aren't. All depends on how's it configured when we get there.

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on June 12, 2008, 06:41:35 PM

Now that's not a WW2 barracks; that looks like someting from the sixties. I lived in WW2 style barracks at Fort Benning. We are talking two story barracks with bunk beds.

Like I said, definitely not WW2 barracks. They seem relatively new, within the last 10-30 years or so. They're in good shape though.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

SSgt Rudin

As well as some pics of the barracks (none of the latrines I can find, though).   :D

Those look exactly like the buildings at Camp Blanding, where FLWG has summer encampment, if it's the same set up you need to weasel your way in the the o-quarters: 6 rooms per building, 5 racks per room (can fit 7 and still have breathing room), climate controlled, and a mini fridge  ;D
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP