FLWG 2008 Sumer Encampment

Started by SWASH, January 14, 2008, 12:29:49 AM

SWASH

Does anybody have recent info regarding the FLWG 2008 Summer Encampment?  All I know is it will be at Blanding, again.

I was a Flight Sergeant at the 2007 SERWE (I knew the infamous SM out of reg ranger guy very well at encampment, I was in Bravo and he was the Alpha TACO).  This summer I will want to be on support, some sort of NCOIC position (I will be a Chief by then).

Thank you.
CHRIS W. SAJDAK, C/SMSgt, CAP
2006-2007 SERWE Doolie, 2007-2008 SERWE Flight Sergeant
2008 ILWG Summer Encampment Flight Sergeant
08/09 FLWG Winter Encampemnt PAO

Maj Ballard

From an email a couple of days ago:

QuoteThis year's Summer Encampment will be held at Camp Blanding, FL from 29 June 2008 thru 05 July 2008.

Cadet Programs is now accepting applications for the following positions:

Senior Positions:
Encampment Commander
Deputy Encampment Commander
Executive Officer
Commandant of Cadets

Cadet Positions:
Cadet Commander
Cadet Deputy Commander
Cadet Executive Officer

Please send your application/resume to majormesones@yahoo.com.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Margarita Mesones-Mori, Maj., CAP
Director, Cadet Programs
Florida Wing
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

SWASH

Thank you Beasly.

Darn looks like I will be up in MIWG when this is happening :'(  I guess I will have to go to the MIWG Summer Encampment

Maj Ballard

L. Ballard, Major, CAP

stillamarine

Of course it would be at Blanding again.  :( And they wonder why only 2 of our cadets have been to encampment. Well at least it isn't WAY down south.

Hopefully, my plea to wing to allow our cadets to go to the joint MS/AL encampment will go over well.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

SWASH

Lancer

Quote from: SWASH on January 14, 2008, 08:29:46 PM
Darn looks like I will be up in MIWG when this is happening :'(  I guess I will have to go to the MIWG Summer Encampment

Wow, don't sound so excited about Alpena, MI being your alternative. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

SWASH

Oh, I did'nt mean to sound like that.  I'm just made because I will no tons of people on staff from winter encampment.  I have allready been looking into Alpena for a few weeks now, read some old threads about past MIWG summer encampments, and sent a PM or 2 to the encampment commander.  Can't wait to make good friends up in MIWG.

flyguy06

Quote from: stillamarine on January 15, 2008, 01:56:03 AM
Of course it would be at Blanding again.  :( And they wonder why only 2 of our cadets have been to encampment. Well at least it isn't WAY down south.

Hopefully, my plea to wing to allow our cadets to go to the joint MS/AL encampment will go over well.

Why do you need to get permission from Wing to go to another Wing's encampment. A CAP member can go to any encampment anywhere. I have never heard of having to get permission. But then I have learned that FLWG kinda does their own thing

Stonewall

Not sure if it's an official CAP reg or not, but in DC Wing we had to get wing (commander) permission to do any activity outside the wing; even within our own region.  I think it makes sense.  If I were a squadron commander and a cadet was heading over to another squadron for some extra curricula activity, I'd want to know about.  If I were Wing King and a member was heading to another wing to participate in a week long endeavor, I'd be pretty pissed off if I found out they were there when IG called me up to inform me they were hurt or worse.

I think at a minimum a [required] courtesy email should be sent letting those in charge know someone is operating outside their borders.
Serving since 1987.

Maj Ballard

L. Ballard, Major, CAP

fyrfitrmedic

Perhaps it's been too long a week already, but every time I see this topic titled FLWG 2008 Sumer Encampment I keep expecting to see posts in cuneiform  ;D
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Maj Ballard

Ops order and staff applicant memo were released today. Download at http://www.flcadet.com/SummerEncampment.aspx.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: Stonewall on January 15, 2008, 09:38:24 PM
Not sure if it's an official CAP reg or not, but in DC Wing we had to get wing (commander) permission to do any activity outside the wing; even within our own region.  I think it makes sense.  If I were a squadron commander and a cadet was heading over to another squadron for some extra curricula activity, I'd want to know about.  If I were Wing King and a member was heading to another wing to participate in a week long endeavor, I'd be pretty pissed off if I found out they were there when IG called me up to inform me they were hurt or worse.

I think at a minimum a [required] courtesy email should be sent letting those in charge know someone is operating outside their borders.

Florida Wing Policy Letter 07-05
http://flwg.us/OutOfWingActivities.pdf

I would bet that since the wing king wrote a policy letter on it there is not a CAPR on it, but I would also bet at least 3/4 of the wings have this policy.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

DC

Methinks the colonel was a little irritated when that was written... Wow...

Out of curiosity does that apply to SER activities?

Cecil DP

I believe Col O'Key's main motivation was that corperate vehicles were leaving the state and having accidents without his or his staff's knowledge.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

stillamarine

Quote from: Cecil DP on February 27, 2008, 03:08:07 AM
I believe Col O'Key's main motivation was that corperate vehicles were leaving the state and having accidents without his or his staff's knowledge.

There was more to it then that.

On a better note, the new CC has approved our cadets to attend AL/MS wing encampment, as well as the PDW being held in AL wing on March 8th and 9th. From what was told to our Squadron CC, by FLWG CC at Wing Conference, he has no problem with members leaving the wing as long as the other wing approves it, and it is sent to him as a FYI, through the Group CC.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

afgeo4

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 15, 2008, 09:32:13 PM
Quote from: stillamarine on January 15, 2008, 01:56:03 AM

Why do you need to get permission from Wing to go to another Wing's encampment. A CAP member can go to any encampment anywhere. I have never heard of having to get permission. But then I have learned that FLWG kinda does their own thing
Any CAP activity taking place outside your wing requires permission of your Wing CC and the Wing CC of where the activity is taking place.

Our members aren't allowed to step on other people's feet. It creates unnecessary competition. It also creates a situation where the Wing's CC is responsible for CAP actions in their wing while not being able to have authority of members present in his/her wing's territory. It's not really ethical to hold someone responsible if they have no control over the situation.
GEORGE LURYE

BlackKnight

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on February 27, 2008, 02:38:40 AM

I would bet that since the wing king wrote a policy letter on it there is not a CAPR on it, but I would also bet at least 3/4 of the wings have this policy.

In that case CAP NHQ needs to recall several thousand "Top Ten Ways Cadets Can Get More From CAP" wallet cards that have been issued with the new cadet binders.  Item number 1 on the card says:

1. Attend Wing Encampment
   52 CAP Wings, over 5,000 cadets annually; Can go to any of them.

Obviously, it is appropriate military courtesy to inform chain of command of a cadet's intent to attend an encampment outside the wing.  But if a commander attempts to deny a cadet in good standing the above program opportunities that are endorsed by NHQ, guaranteed by their membership dues, and afforded automatically to cadets in other wings, I would say the commander has set himself up for a slam-dunk abuse complaint.

One of the best ways to prevent your home wing encampment from falling into disrepute is to make sure the door stays wide open for cadets to go elsewhere. Fair competition breeds excellence. Closed borders encourage stagnation. 

Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

afgeo4

Quote from: BlackKnight on February 27, 2008, 11:15:57 PM
Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on February 27, 2008, 02:38:40 AM

In that case CAP NHQ needs to recall several thousand "Top Ten Ways Cadets Can Get More From CAP" wallet cards that have been issued with the new cadet binders.  Item number 1 on the card says:

1. Attend Wing Encampment
   52 CAP Wings, over 5,000 cadets annually; Can go to any of them.

Obviously, it is appropriate military courtesy to inform chain of command of a cadet's intent to attend an encampment outside the wing.  But if a commander attempts to deny a cadet in good standing the above program opportunities that are endorsed by NHQ, guaranteed by their membership dues, and afforded automatically to cadets in other wings, I would say the commander has set himself up for a slam-dunk abuse complaint.

One of the best ways to prevent your home wing encampment from falling into disrepute is to make sure the door stays wide open for cadets to go elsewhere. Fair competition breeds excellence. Closed borders encourage stagnation. 

Comment on the Policy Letter:

Wow... and all without any regard for writing etiquette. ALL CAPS means you're shouting and that is just not a good look. I don't like the accusatory tone in his opening paragraph either. Yes, people did it. You don't have to restate it. Just state what you need them to do from now on because apparently, you weren't clear enough before (and that's your fault, not the members'). 

Do you guys agree?

Yes, I believe it is the procedure everywhere. At least everywhere I've ever heard of. The wing commander should know where his subordinates are and what they're doing. Especially if they're in someone else's back yard.

GEORGE LURYE