Encampment required before applying to NCSA?

Started by xray328, July 10, 2015, 04:28:53 AM

xray328

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm waiting to hear back from wing. I'm leaning towards holding her back, she's so adamant that she will be fine to go though. I think she was just really looking forward to going and has that "I can do this attitude". 

SarDragon

Quote from: xray328 on July 11, 2015, 03:22:17 PM
Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm waiting to hear back from wing. I'm leaning towards holding her back, she's so adamant that she will be fine to go though. I think she was just really looking forward to going and has that "I can do this attitude".

"I can do this" works, until it doesn't. You never know exactly when that line will get crossed, and when it does, the situation can get ugly very quickly. BTDT. In my most recent case, no harm, no foul, but it coulda turned into something much more unpleasant.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CAPAPRN

As the DCS of an Encampment, and an acute care nurse practitioner, I can state that the  flexibility to handle disability varies. I was contacted by another wing because they knew my dorms were ADA compliant and I could take a cadet with a significant disability, and in fact I could likely take a cadet in a wheelchair. The term "reasonable accommodation" and the question "can he/she complete 80% of the encampment" are what should be asked. Pt can be done in a wheelchair, as can classes, as can pass and review. Some encampments are not in the same situation, with latrines 1/2 mile from quarters and up a hill. Also a small state like CT or Maine may be far more able to make these accommodations. That said, New Hampshire has a winter Encampment. Not much fun as the base is closed so it consists of marching, sitting in class ..... actually that's it. However, we (I was ADY that encampment) were able to take a cadet with a heart ailment that most encampments would have never been able to take. And he did just fine. There are always ways to make it happen, and my personal bias is just that - make it happen.
Capt. Carol A Whelan CAP CTWG,
CTWG Asst. Director of Communications
CTWG Director of Admin & Personnel
Commander NER-CT-004
DCS CTWG 2015 Encampment

Capt. Bob Gilbert

Quote from: xray328 on July 10, 2015, 04:28:53 AM
Our daughter was all set to go to her first encampment in two weeks but she broke her foot tonight [emoji19]. If she gets to spring encampment before the NCSA next summer will she be ok or does the encampment have to be done before applying?

I also see a few states that have winter encampments.  So far I've found Texas, Kansas, and Florida. Anyone know if there's any other wings with winter encampments?

Thanks!
NH has one over Christmas break. 

Airplane girl

The NH wing encampment is great. I was an inflight there last winter. And there isn't a lot of going outside and stuff because it gets really cold. My friend went to NH winter encampment, and I think he's going to NBB this summer, so you could still apply to NCSAs if you go to a winter encampment. The only thing is, if you go to a winter encampment and then try to go to another wing's encampment for staff the next year (like I did), staff selection can be really confusing.

xray328

I'm kinda limited since these are all around the holidays, airfare is ridiculous.

IL Wing said they'll accommodate her. I'll still play it by ear between now and then though. If she's hobbling around the house I'm obviously not sending her.

Thanks again for everyone's help/advice!

Spam

Ironically...

I just had a cadet transfer into my unit last week, who had previously been accepted as a staff member on the GAWG Encampment beginning this weekend, who has now busted her foot and is in a cast. As a PA NCO, she is apparently being accommodated and completed RST this past weekend. In a cast. Sigh...

V/R,
Spam

conca27

I don't know about other wings, but last year when I broke my arm 2 weeks before encampment I was still allowed to attend as a flight sergeant. I was unable to complete PT, but I was able to do everything else. I know a couple of other inflight cadets spent the week on crutches due to injuries sustained at encampment, but I am unsure if that would have been permitted if they had gotten injured before encampment. The encampment I attended was the 2014 NYWg Encampment.
New York Wing Encampment 2013 - Echo Inflight
New York Wing Encampment 2014 - Foxtrot Flight Sergeant
Air Force Civil Engineering Academy 2015 - Graduate
Rochester Composite Squadron - Alpha Flight Commander; Operations Officer
Billy Mitchell Award #66326

sarmed1

Quote from: conca27 on July 14, 2015, 01:44:27 PM
I don't know about other wings, but last year when I broke my arm 2 weeks before encampment I was still allowed to attend as a flight sergeant. I was unable to complete PT, but I was able to do everything else. I know a couple of other inflight cadets spent the week on crutches due to injuries sustained at encampment, but I am unsure if that would have been permitted if they had gotten injured before encampment. The encampment I attended was the 2014 NYWg Encampment.

There is a lot of difference between the participation (and credit) requirements for a staff member vs a student.  Secondly, it is one thing to manage the issues for a student that becomes injured during the course of an activity...  what is the cost of changing their return arrangements, is someone readily available to readily get them from the activity/destination, how much of the activity have they completed and what portion of that activity (physical vs classroom)

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

xray328

As of right now she's still going.  Wing has be outstanding at reassuring us that there is absolutely no reason she can't still attend.  I've been in contact with the Cadet Commander (Commandant of Cadets?)  who was great about addressing all of our concerns. He said they've had cadets with far worse medical issues that have attended in past years. The few things he did mention was that the bed is five feet high (desk fits under it) so she'd need to be careful, but that her fellow cadets would help her, all part of team work I guess. Transportation would be in CAP corporate vehicles if they were going outside the immediate area, showering is in individual stalls (versus trying to balance in an open shower bay).  They have an EMT as the Medical Officer as well. 

Only thing she's disappointed about is that she won't be able to participate in some of the fun things they have planned (rock wall, obstacle course etc)

Anyone know the regs on her taking O flights while shes there? Can she still fly as a passenger with an injured foot in gliders/powered aircraft?  I thought there might be something about mobility issues.  Not sure if DoD aircraft would have the same restrictions.

CAPs1

Would think that Wing would have been outstanding in reassuring you on O-flight regs/passenger/injured foot gliders/powered aircraft, DOD aircraft items as well.

xray328

They said the have to check on that with the Air Branch Director and will let us know.

CAPRAT123

Most NCSA require the age of 14 and up. The only one she will be able to attend if she is only 12 right now, is the model rocketry academy. Just do want I did, wait till your 13 to do encampment then when your 14 you can make some of the really cool NCSA.
Cadet Chief Master Sergeant
NER-PA-338 Cadet Leadership Officer (2015-Incumbent)
NER-PA-338 CAC Representative (2015-Incumbent)
NER-PA-239 Flight Sergeant (2013-2014)
NER-PA-239 CAC Repersentative (2012-2013)
NER Honor Guard Graduate 2014
NER Glider Academy Graduate 2014

xray328

She's already there, dropped both kids off this morning. They cleared her for flying activities. She's looking at going to E-Tech (Robotics) and NER Honor Guard Academy. I don't see an age restriction on those?

wwildcat

Kansas has a Winter encampment and can fulfill your requirements. Check out their website on the net.

I'd do a fall or winter encampment, AFTER the foot has healed. I'd personally rather a cadet be 100 percent than be "limited" at an encampment. The experience In my opinion is much more fulfilling if you are able to fully participate.

Major Williams
I am a big boy now, there is no reason to go to my wing CC or DCP because I chat on CAPtalk. :)

xray328

She successfully completed summer encampment, thanks for everyones help, especially those from the IL Wing.

Sapper168

How is the toe feeling?  Hope she had fun even with the pin and the pain.  Her Flight Sgt really took looking after her to heart. 
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

xray328

Toe is feeling much better thanks, hoping the pin comes out on Thursday.   She had a great time, said she can't wait to go back and plans on applying for ATS next year.

Yes, she couldn't say enough good things about her Flight Sgt, even got a picture of the two of them together on our way out.   

We're heading to the King of the Rock this weekend,  she's in full CAP mode :)

Thanks again for looking after her.

Spam

My two in CAP (C/LT and C/MSGT, were both on GAWG enc. staff) started back to school today with post-encampment crispness still unconsciously engrained. A week after, I still find them squaring corners and going to parade rest like trainees...

Glad your young lady made it through well!

V/R,
Spam

TheSkyHornet

Glad to hear she went and succeeded!  :clap:

Too often you don't hear follow-up to someone's question/issue. Appreciate keeping everyone informed