Cadets "failing" encampment

Started by Eclipse, December 29, 2014, 04:21:45 PM

Майор Хаткевич

SilentPhantom

Quote from: CadetSnuffy on January 15, 2015, 10:37:49 PM
I was told that it was mandatory to have specific classroom sessions, apparently enough that a significant amount of time was taken up.

It also helps to not have a paper airplane contest take up an entire afternoon.  ::) I didn't make the schedule

But at least the classroom time gave line staff some time to decompress and have meetings in the break room. And almost got my head taken off by one of those paper airplanes haha
C/2dLt

Eclipse

So after a pretty deep dive (finally) in the new curriculum, things aren't quite as concerning as I
had feared, but also a somewhat telling indication that a lot of people haven't actually read the text or
worked the problem yet.

Beyond the typical "core values, attendance, etc." we're all used to, there are actually only 5 points of
objective written tests that could cause a cadet to fail the encampment.  These are four leadership classes
and an A3 on air power.  These will all have to be graded and tabulated, but considering they are multiple guess
quizzes, if they pay remote attention, there should be little issue.  We are, however paying close attention to
the instructors here as we want to insure the information critical to the quizzes is properly presented.

These are the required classes which have a quiz.
L10 Wingmen & The Warrior Spirit
L11 Discipline: Your Key to Success
L12 The Leadership Concept
L13 Teamwork for Performance
A3 Military Airpower

Beyond that are the initial assessments, which are done to ascertain a cadet's actual
core knowledge, and to provide data back to the wing and units which may indicate...ahem..."benevolent" unit programs.

And then the CAPF 50-5 Advisories which are completed near the end of the activity by the CFs in conjunction
with the TOs, and which, although they do have a place for the CF and TO to sign off encampment credit,
these are not actually pass/fails, though they again provide good data to the wing and encampment staff(s)
as to emphasis items for next year, etc.

Since we have two in-process cycles, we're considering doing the ISAs twice, with an eye for mid-week improvement
and with the intention that the CFs should be sending their cadets home with something correctable and seeing
if it is really corrected.

Otherwise, the only other grading and inspections are for Honor Flights, etc., and that is subjective and not related to
encampment credit.  As suggested in the guide, we will have two levels of inspections - the team building and mentoring
level conducted by the CFs and other line staff (up/down/left/right, fix your collar, tuck in your blanket, move on) and the
more detailed inspections performed by SET for the purpose of grading and competition.

On a related side note, we realized last night that beyond the nametapes, there are no longer any other patches which are
required on the BDUs, so for cadets who cannot easily get things corrected mid-week, simply removing them is a viable option,
and of course pin-on grade is easily corrected (even if the unit CC puts it back incorrectly because "it looks cooler that way" BTDT)

"That Others May Zoom"

CadetSnuffy

Quote from: SilentPhantom on February 20, 2015, 02:59:04 AM
I was told that it was mandatory to have specific classroom sessions, apparently enough that a significant amount of time was taken up.

It also helps to not have a paper airplane contest take up an entire afternoon.  ::) I didn't make the schedule

But at least the classroom time gave line staff some time to decompress and have meetings in the break room. And almost got my head taken off by one of those paper airplanes haha

The PAOs got hit several times. Myself included. I learned a valuable lesson that day, it is impossible to get clear action shots of twenty different paper-airplanes mid-flight.
There are two types of countries, those that use the metric system, then that one that has been to the moon.

SilentPhantom

Quote from: CadetSnuffy on February 20, 2015, 06:01:45 PM

The PAOs got hit several times. Myself included. I learned a valuable lesson that day, it is impossible to get clear action shots of twenty different paper-airplanes mid-flight.

Oh yeah I remeber that lol. Given my position, I was a bit of a prime target haha
C/2dLt

CadetSnuffy

Quote from: SilentPhantom on February 22, 2015, 10:34:15 PM
Quote from: CadetSnuffy on February 20, 2015, 06:01:45 PM

Oh yeah I remeber that lol. Given my position, I was a bit of a prime target haha
At least the PAOs weren't required to go through the obstacle course. Camera+mud=disaster
I was fine just watching.
https://kswgencampment2014.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/img_58751.jpg
Line staff was pressured into going through it. Looks like they had fun ;D
There are two types of countries, those that use the metric system, then that one that has been to the moon.

Capt Thompson

Depends on the camera......a decent SLR should be sealed well enough to handle a little mud.....sounds like a few wimpy PAO's!
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

CadetSnuffy

Quote from: S/M Thompson on February 23, 2015, 04:45:43 PM
Depends on the camera......a decent SLR should be sealed well enough to handle a little mud.....sounds like a few wimpy PAO's!
Hey, it was cold out there. Besides we had to take pictures of the cadets. (good all-purpose PAO excuse)
Duty comes before mud.

Capt Thompson

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Eclipse

Quote from: CadetSnuffy on February 23, 2015, 04:35:00 PM
At least the PAOs weren't required to go through the obstacle course. Camera+mud=disaster

Line staff shouldn't have had to be "pressured" - unless they had a duty which precluded participation,
they should have been leading the line from the front.

"That Others May Zoom"

CadetSnuffy

CadetSnuffy

Quote from: Eclipse on February 23, 2015, 05:21:30 PM
Quote from: CadetSnuffy on February 23, 2015, 04:35:00 PM

Line staff shouldn't have had to be "pressured" - unless they had a duty which precluded participation,
they should have been leading the line from the front.
By pressured I mean all the students started chanting, "Sergeant! Sergeant! Sergeant!"
In my opinion the obstacle course was the best team building exercise of the week, everyone loved it.

stitchmom

How much writing is required? Our packing list includes a 3 subject notebook. Writing is not my son's strong suit.  :o

SarDragon

Quote from: stitchmom on June 14, 2015, 02:32:12 PM
How much writing is required? Our packing list includes a 3 subject notebook. Writing is not my son's strong suit.  :o

Define "writing".

Putting words on paper? Taking notes? Writing essays?

At an encampment, notebooks are generally used for taking notes associated with the various aspects of training.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CAPDCCMOM

Stichmom, read CAPR 52-15, 5-5. Cadets with Special needs can be accommodated on testing and other academic requirements. If your cadet has a defined learning disability, contact your Squadron's Deputy Commander for Cadets and share this information. Ask that person to contact the Encampment Commander. If you have a copy of your cadet's IEP, it will detail academic accommodations. CAP will use these accommodations for your Cadet. I am the Deputy Commander for Cadets of my Squadron, I notified the Encampment Commander for my cadets that one of mine has dyslexia. He assured me that the accommodations would be made with no problem at all.

Hope this helps out

CAPDCCMOM

abdsp51

Cadets under the new curriculum are not graded on how well they write.  They are graded on the tests they take and assesments by their flt leadership and TOs.