National Blue Beret Hopes

Started by Supply SGT, March 05, 2012, 01:59:37 PM

Supply SGT

I really would like to go to NBB, but Minnesota Encampment is at the same time, so im trying to find another state's encampment to attend, any suggestions? I'm thinking of Illinois, also, any tips for NBB?

a2capt

Did you apply, and put "will have encampment completed by XXX" ... hasn't registration closed for that stuff now? You're either selected, pending encampment in which case you need to find an alternate encampment. (CAWG just announced the third week of June for theirs, HIWG is the first week of June)

Eclipse

wiwg will be back at Volk this year, which would be closer for you.

ILWG Spring is in April, but that's a long drive to do 4 times in one week.

"That Others May Zoom"

shlebz

WIWG is in June at Volk this year, as Eclipse stated above. I am also in a similar boat...I need an RCLS (due to personal reason i haven't been able to attend one yet) but the only one around would be ILWG which starts on July 28th this year....
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

GTCommando

OHWG is June 16-23. If they ask you, request to be placed in Hotel Flight.  ;) (I kid, I kid).
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

shlebz

Quote from: GTCommando on March 05, 2012, 07:56:28 PM
OHWG is June 16-23. If they ask you, request to be placed in Hotel Flight.  ;) (I kid, I kid).

Do they have an RCLS?
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: shlebz on March 05, 2012, 07:59:55 PM
Quote from: GTCommando on March 05, 2012, 07:56:28 PM

Do they have an RCLS?

I don't see it, but here
http://encampment.ohwg.cap.gov/
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

shlebz

yeah, i checked out the site and only found an NCO course beyond the basic encampment. I'm trying to find an RCLS  that wouldn't cost me a months salary to go to...  :[
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

Extremepredjudice

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Spartan

Check out the surrounding area's wing websites for encampment.  Practice your Google-Fu.  Make sure you get your Wing/CC's endorsement on page 4 of your CAPF 31as soon as you have all your information straight and with a LOT of the application window remaining.  Many activities do not look at late applications, and they get sent to the paper shredder.  You will most likely be responsible for getting yourself to and from an out of wing encampment.

As for the tips for Blue Beret, I have been out of the loop for a while, but these are a few suggestions that are timeless.
-Read and understand EVERYTHING the activity sends you.  If you don't understand something, contact your squadron chain of command for clarification.  If they can't help, you should have a point of contact from NBB.  The only dumb questions are the ones that are not asked.
-Meet ALL deadlines.
-Make sure the NBB staff knows what your travel plans are.  Keep them informed of any changes to your arrival and departure.
-Ensure you have the entire packing list.  Required items are not optional, they are required.  Lay your packing list out and have someone else look it over.  Keep a WRITTEN list of deficiencies, and work to overcome them.  Don't show up expecting your buddies to square you away, or that you will get a trip to Wal-Mart whenever you want.
-Listen to your TACO, Flight leadership, safety briefings, GTL, returning berets, and to the folks briefing you.  They may put out information that will save your life.
-Pay attention to the large cones that are sliced up and displayed in the chow hall.  This is what a propeller can do to you.
-Drink water.  Dehydration is a self inflicted injury.  Soda is not water.  Energy drinks are not water.  Juice is not water.
-If it is unsafe or you think you could get in trouble if the activity commander were standing behind you, you should probably not do it.
-Don't show up with a uniform or haircut that does not meet the standard set in CAPM 39-1.  First impressions are lasting ones and it makes your squadron look like a bunch of turds.
-Pay attention to your buddy.  They may not be able to tell they are dehydrated, doing something stupid (unsafe, undisciplined, against regulations), or they may be having a bad day and their head isn't in the game.  Help them before someone higher up the food chain gets hold of them.
-If you go, have fun, meet people and do new things.  Go to Ardy and Ed's and enjoy the root beer.
-Work on your networking.  I met some very interesting people as a cadet at NBB that I am finding has helped my CAP career without my knowing it.
-SSgt Kemp is not a cadet, and he is not an officer (unless he became one recently).  Brush up on your customs and courtesies regarding NCO's and show him the respect his grade affords him.
-When you come back from NBB, don't be a prima donna.  They are part of the reason the beret was forbidden to wear the entire time I was a cadet and most of the time I have been a senior member.  Going to NBB does not make you an elite and it does not make you entitled to special treatment.
-Don't think that just because you "earned" your beret, that you have the right to wear it.  All it takes is a local policy at the squadron level that says all cadets must be in the same uniform, or require you to wear the BDU cover when in BDU's and the beret is no longer authorized for wear at that unit.  See the last tip and reflect on it.  It is the fastest way to get the PRIVILAGE of wearing the beret taken away.
-Remember that your actions, good or bad, will play a part in the accomplishment of the mission.  Be aware of your actions and their consequences.

Rogovin

NJ has one right before NBB @ McGuire AFB.  However, there is about 2 days in between the activities, and i know that it is not cheap to go another state for encampment.  Just a though.

Personally, i will probably be carpooling to NBB straight from McGuire, but that's a trip.

But to piggyback on Spartan (and his information was very accurate), do all of those things.  I am more than willing to help you if the need arises.  I may be a cadet, but i can help you get into contact with someone if you have an issue.  Safety is something that we get a lot of at NBB, and quite possibly don't get enough of.  We almost had a Cadet turn into a very fine red mist because some pilot was not paying attention.  Thank god the Cadet was.  The pilot lost his license for that little incident.  We also had a few aircraft incursions and incidents.  If you don't pay the #@$% attention, you die.  I'm not joking.  It has not happened yet, but be semper vigilans.  Head on a swivel.

But they had Capt. Kemp become an officer so he could be a section Cheif.  Needless to say, he was not happy about it, but the mission comes first. 

NBB is a fun activity.  It's not about some cover, or safety.  It's fun with those things and more thrown in.  Enjoy yourself, but there is more to it.  I'm sure any cadet who wants to go for the right reasons will have a lifetime experience.  I know i sure did.

Also, keep your ego in check.  It's caused issues.  We are at Oshkosh at the invitation of the EAA and FAA.  The mission comes first.  If you do something bad/wrong, it does not just affect you, but those with you in NBB, and the countless others who will attend in the future.  On these forums there are many stories of mistakes made by previous years of NBB.  Please learn from them and avoid their mistakes. 

I do recommend taking those ICS courses.  Due to the nature of NBB, the system is not run like an encampment, but more like an Incident Command system.  It fitted the needs of the activity and mission better.  I would also highly advise getting a GTM3 and MRO rating.  NBB will give you an MRO, but i still think it would be better to be familiar before attending.

Hopefully you will find something that works out.

-Rogovin

CAPC/officer125

North Dakota is hosting this year's Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment, July 6(7)-15. It is just a stones throw away and I know in previous years we have had command staff leave and go straight to Beret. Your's truly is also the Cadet Commander.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

NCRblues

Quote from: Supply SGT on March 05, 2012, 01:59:37 PM
I really would like to go to NBB, but Minnesota Encampment is at the same time, so im trying to find another state's encampment to attend, any suggestions? I'm thinking of Illinois, also, any tips for NBB?

The first question is did you already apply to go to NBB? If the answer is "no" than you have missed the deadline, and should apply next year. If the answer is "yes" than you must have an encampment completed before going to NBB, and to be honest, NBB received about 5 applications for every 1 slot we have. So your chance of getting slotted tomorrow (the 6th) for NBB without an encampment on file is slim at best.

My advice, apply next year and enjoy your basic encampment this year. NCSA's will still be here next summer.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Huey Driver

Quote from: Rogovin on March 05, 2012, 10:03:22 PM
NJ has one right before NBB @ McGuire AFB.  However, there is about 2 days in between the activities, and i know that it is not cheap to go another state for encampment.  Just a though.

Personally, i will probably be carpooling to NBB straight from McGuire, but that's a trip.

-Rogovin

NJ doesn't have an RCLS this year. Col Hayden wanted only two RCLS courses in NER and they went to PA and NH Wings. NJ's is just a CLS this year.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

LC

Quote from: Rogovin on March 05, 2012, 10:03:22 PM

But to piggyback on Spartan (and his information was very accurate), do all of those things.  I am more than willing to help you if the need arises.  I may be a cadet, but i can help you get into contact with someone if you have an issue.  Safety is something that we get a lot of at NBB, and quite possibly don't get enough of.  We almost had a Cadet turn into a very fine red mist because some pilot was not paying attention.  Thank god the Cadet was.  The pilot lost his license for that little incident.  We also had a few aircraft incursions and incidents.  If you don't pay the #@$% attention, you die.  I'm not joking.  It has not happened yet, but be semper vigilans.  Head on a swivel.

But they had Capt. Kemp become an officer so he could be a section Cheif.  Needless to say, he was not happy about it, but the mission comes first. 

NBB is a fun activity.  It's not about some cover, or safety.  It's fun with those things and more thrown in.  Enjoy yourself, but there is more to it.  I'm sure any cadet who wants to go for the right reasons will have a lifetime experience.  I know i sure did.

Also, keep your ego in check.  It's caused issues.  We are at Oshkosh at the invitation of the EAA and FAA.  The mission comes first.  If you do something bad/wrong, it does not just affect you, but those with you in NBB, and the countless others who will attend in the future.  On these forums there are many stories of mistakes made by previous years of NBB.  Please learn from them and avoid their mistakes. 

I do recommend taking those ICS courses.  Due to the nature of NBB, the system is not run like an encampment, but more like an Incident Command system.  It fitted the needs of the activity and mission better.  I would also highly advise getting a GTM3 and MRO rating.  NBB will give you an MRO, but i still think it would be better to be familiar before attending.

Hopefully you will find something that works out.

-Rogovin

By the way Capt. (Sergeant) Kemp did not become a captain so he could be a "section Chief."  He did this so he could become a squadron commander in Iowa.

Rogovin

I did not know that.  Still, he is an officer now, and that probably will not change.  It still does not change the fact that he is awesome  ;D

-Rogovin

RobertAmphibian

Shlebz was asking about a good RCLS- Michigan Wing has an excellent program. They haven't updated the application information for this year, but I've worked with some awesome MIWG CLS grads. http://encampment.miwg-cap.org/

shlebz

Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on March 05, 2012, 11:21:02 PM
North Dakota is hosting this year's Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment, July 6(7)-15. It is just a stones throw away and I know in previous years we have had command staff leave and go straight to Beret. Your's truly is also the Cadet Commander.
do they have an RCLS this year?
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

Supply SGT

Quote from: NCRblues on March 05, 2012, 11:46:33 PM

The first question is did you already apply to go to NBB? If the answer is "no" than you have missed the deadline, and should apply next year. If the answer is "yes" than you must have an encampment completed before going to NBB, and to be honest, NBB received about 5 applications for every 1 slot we have. So your chance of getting slotted tomorrow (the 6th) for NBB without an encampment on file is slim at best.

My advice, apply next year and enjoy your basic encampment this year. NCSA's will still be here next summer.

thats just it, i will not be here next summer because im enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps and go to bootcamp next summer.

a2capt

Did you apply already? Applications are closed. You never answered. If not, it's a moot point. There are a number of factors that weigh in, your window of opportunity coming up to the end is one of them. But if you've not done encampment, and didn't indicate an encampment date that you are enrolled in prior to the activity... you probably don't stand a chance. OTOH, no news is good news .. so far, if you actually applied and have not gotten rejected outright so far.

Extremepredjudice

NCSA slottings are posted in eservices... So if you applied, you should know!

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Silent Panther

Quote from: Rogovin on March 06, 2012, 11:19:19 AM
I did not know that.  Still, he is an officer now, and that probably will not change.  It still does not change the fact that he is awesome  ;D

-Rogovin

Wait.. that means he is no longer Darth Sergeant! This is not good. How will NBB go on without it's resident Jedi?
Also known as
"OX", "Angel", "GrillBoy", & "Wheels"
There's a story and at least one NCSA behind every one.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Silent Panther on March 06, 2012, 09:11:04 PM

-Rogovin

Wait.. that means he is no longer Darth Sergeant! This is not good. How will NBB go on without it's resident Jedi?
Darth is used for Sith lords. Not jedi.

Jedi titles are Jedi Master, Jedi Knight, Jedi Padawan, and Jedi Initiate (also known as "jedi Youngling")

Jedi can also specialize in specific things, catagories include, Jedi Guardian, Jedi Consular, Jedi Sentinel. (there are sub-types below all of those)

There were also times were the Jedi would assume military ranks, Jedi General, Senior Jedi General, High Jedi General, Jedi Commander, and Jedi lord.

Any of those you could select for the member in question

/endnerdrant.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

NCRblues

-Rogovin

He is now known as his "high royal highness".... and "Sgt-captain" and when he gets promoted he will be "sgt-major"  >:D

Spartan

Does this mean that Darth Sgt has been promoted to sith lord?  If so, does the protocol require bowing?

Eclipse

Quote from: LC on March 06, 2012, 07:02:43 AMBy the way Capt. (Sergeant) Kemp did not become a captain so he could be a "section Chief."  He did this so he could become a squadron commander in Iowa.

Neither position requires any specific grade.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on March 06, 2012, 10:45:44 PM
Quote from: LC on March 06, 2012, 07:02:43 AMBy the way Capt. (Sergeant) Kemp did not become a captain so he could be a "section Chief."  He did this so he could become a squadron commander in Iowa.

I was thinking the same thing.

Silent Panther

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 06, 2012, 09:17:16 PM

-Rogovin

Jedi titles are Jedi Master, Jedi Knight, Jedi Padawan, and Jedi Initiate (also known as "jedi Youngling")

Jedi can also specialize in specific things, catagories include, Jedi Guardian, Jedi Consular, Jedi Sentinel. (there are sub-types below all of those)

There were also times were the Jedi would assume military ranks, Jedi General, Senior Jedi General, High Jedi General, Jedi Commander, and Jedi lord.

/endnerdrant.

I really don't think Capt. Kemp is a Sith. I must say I am impressed with your knowledge of Jedi Rank.

Quote from: NCRblues on March 06, 2012, 09:19:04 PM

-Rogovin

He is now known as his "high royal highness".... and "Sgt-captain" and when he gets promoted he will be "sgt-major"  >:D

Every time I think of NBB, I still think of everytime then-Sgt. Kemp "informed" us that he was not a "sir". I don't think I can go back to NBB now. Making the switch will just be too hard.  :)
Also known as
"OX", "Angel", "GrillBoy", & "Wheels"
There's a story and at least one NCSA behind every one.

Fubar

Just like being a squadron commander doesn't require a pilot rating. And yet around here...

FlyTiger77

Quote from: JeffDG on March 06, 2012, 10:50:00 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

Without knowing the gentleman in question, I would merely assume that he took the promotion for the pay raise. After all, we are in a recession and money is tight all over.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

FlyTiger77

-Rogovin

/endnerdrant.

You have a lot of free time, don't you?  :) ;) >:D
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on March 07, 2012, 06:30:11 AM

-Rogovin

/endnerdrant.

You have a lot of free time, don't you?  :) ;) >:D
Oh, you noticed? You should listen to my evil plots... >:D

I love screwing with people. I have hundreds of evil ways to confuse people...

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

MSG Mac

There will be a RCLS at the Tri-Wing Encampment (MD-DE-NatCap) 7/7-14
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Supply SGT

Quote from: a2capt on March 06, 2012, 08:18:59 PM
Did you apply already? Applications are closed. You never answered. If not, it's a moot point. There are a number of factors that weigh in, your window of opportunity coming up to the end is one of them. But if you've not done encampment, and didn't indicate an encampment date that you are enrolled in prior to the activity... you probably don't stand a chance. OTOH, no news is good news .. so far, if you actually applied and have not gotten rejected outright so far.

No i did not apply yet, which basically means i missed it by a long shot. I will continue to look into other NCSA's. But thank you all for your help and answers.

That Anonymous Guy

When should I start applying for 2013 NBB?

SarDragon

Quote from: NY Wing King on April 24, 2012, 12:23:42 AM

When it's announced by NHQ. That usually happens in September or October, with a deadline in January or February. If anyone has a more definite time frame, feel free to correct my SWAG.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NCRblues

Quote from: NY Wing King on April 24, 2012, 12:23:42 AM

NCSA applications open up on Dec 1st.

That Anonymous Guy

Shawn W.

Yes.. Make sure you do your home work on what E.S. ratings that they want you to have, if you have FLT line marshalling, that really helps... When you get to NBB, talk to any one of the cadets/seniors who have been there before.. they can really help you.  You will literally eat, sleep and live CAP for two weeks.. Make sure you know how dedicated and motivated you really are... Be sure you really want to be there. and lastly..  HAVE FUN.. I was a TACO of Foxtrot flt in 2008.. I had a blast. If you like LOVE airplanes, you will enjoy this.  Make sure you have a decent camera too.. :-D

Good Luck

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: Shawn Warneke on May 28, 2012, 02:18:28 AM

Yes.. Make sure you do your home work on what E.S. ratings that they want you to have, if you have FLT line marshalling, that really helps... When you get to NBB, talk to any one of the cadets/seniors who have been there before.. they can really help you.  You will literally eat, sleep and live CAP for two weeks.. Make sure you know how dedicated and motivated you really are... Be sure you really want to be there. and lastly..  HAVE FUN.. I was a TACO of Foxtrot flt in 2008.. I had a blast. If you like LOVE airplanes, you will enjoy this.  Make sure you have a decent camera too.. :-D

Good Luck
So have your flight line rating before the event?

68w20

Quote from: NY Wing King on June 10, 2012, 06:58:46 PM

Good Luck

FLM is not required for attendance; HOWEVER, having the training under your belt wouldn't hurt.  You'll be spending a significant amount of time marshaling aircraft on the flight line.  If your wing/group/squadron has the training available prior to NBB, it might not be a bad idea to attend.  Even if you can't get the rating, having a basic idea of how the process works would be helpful. 

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: 68w10 on June 11, 2012, 03:41:24 PM
Quote from: NY Wing King on June 10, 2012, 06:58:46 PM

Good Luck

FLM is not required for attendance; HOWEVER, having the training under your belt wouldn't hurt.  You'll be spending a significant amount of time marshaling aircraft on the flight line.  If your wing/group/squadron has the training available prior to NBB, it might not be a bad idea to attend.  Even if you can't get the rating, having a basic idea of how the process works would be helpful.
Thank you. My last SarEx had 3 aircraft and no flight line. Maybe I can change that...

LC