Main Menu

Winter Encampment

Started by shlebz, June 14, 2011, 05:21:33 PM

a2capt

A ride from a neighboring state CAP vehicle headed in that direction is an option, too.

Put the word out .. if a few want to go, everyone apply, both on the staff and basic levels. Then everyone put together to get there.

shlebz

Quote from: nicktavegia on July 11, 2011, 12:49:36 PM
Kansas is just too far or I'd apply immediately.  I thought about it last year, but my family cannot afford the transportation costs or time off / travel.

same, plus haveing to not only go down there for the encampment you have to be there for the application selection also
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: shlebz on July 19, 2011, 01:56:48 PM
Quote from: nicktavegia on July 11, 2011, 12:49:36 PM
Kansas is just too far or I'd apply immediately.  I thought about it last year, but my family cannot afford the transportation costs or time off / travel.

same, plus haveing to not only go down there for the encampment you have to be there for the application selection also
It is worth the time spent. The selection and training activities are over the weekend. The selection is either right before school starts or right after and you could possibly fly out Friday (after school) and back on Sunday. Training may mean missing  part of a day of school on either end, but if you can work transportation shouldn't be a problem. If you really want to go, find other cadets that want to staff a winter encampment and talk to your local pilots and see about flying on a CAP plane. It may be a little troublesome and a small hassle but it is definitely worth it.
Though I completely understand.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

nicktavegia

I'm home schooled and always have been but there is no way we could afford any flights (to Kansas) and transportation costs to and from the airport. 
Semper Vigilans,
C/MSgt Nicholas Tavegia
Flight Sergeant Bartow Etowah Composite Squadron
Cadet of the Quarter

CAPC/officer125

Knowing my wing the way I do, I know several people that would pick you up at the airport and drive you to WGHQ. There are several squadrons around KCK and Topeka that routinely send cadets on staff to encampment the usually offer to pick up people. Same goes with the squadron in Wichita. And it would be of no cost to you (except for your own snackage if they allowed it).
Really KSWG has some of the nicest people you will meet. We had a cadet come all the way from Ohio to encampment last year and she got 1st class treatment after her luggage got lost.
I am not trying to pressure anyone, but if you are really interested in coming, just let me know and I could hook you up with the proper people so that your stay and travel are as comfortable and affordable as possible. Same goes to anyone.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

nicktavegia

Thanks Col. Tematt.  I'll speak with my parents about this and check on some airfare to KS.
```````````````````

I just checked it out.  $800 round trip for EACH trip to Ks.   Even one trip would be a killer. 
Semper Vigilans,
C/MSgt Nicholas Tavegia
Flight Sergeant Bartow Etowah Composite Squadron
Cadet of the Quarter

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: nicktavegia on August 02, 2011, 07:36:28 PM
Thanks Col. Tematt.  I'll speak with my parents about this and check on some airfare to KS.
```````````````````

I just checked it out.  $800 round trip for EACH trip to Ks.   Even one trip would be a killer.

Those are some PRICY tickets!

DakRadz

Quote from: nicktavegia on August 02, 2011, 07:36:28 PM
```````````````````

From ATL??

I just checked Delta (the most reliable money grubbing ripoffs), and the total price for a round-trip leaving 14OCT-16OCT (training dates) is $192.

Where are you flying from and what caused the huge price??

Unless that's with your parents as well. But still a couple hundred off.

1LtNurseOfficer

Just did a quick search from Atlanta (ATL) into Kansas City, MO (MCI) and came up with $328 round trip leaving Atlanta 23Dec11 and returning 03Jan12.

Even coming into Wichita isn't too bad for a change.

There are some decent prices out there.  You just have to search.

dianetavegia

Nick misunderstood. The $800 was for both trips: training and encampment.  Almost $700 from Hartsfield to Wichita.
Our family cannot afford the airfare to Kansas.  I'm sure it's a superb encampment, but it's not going to happen. 

Thanks for your assistance, tho.
2Lt. Diane Tavegia
DDR Officer
Asst. Testing Officer
Asst. PAO

DakRadz

Quote from: dianetavegia on August 03, 2011, 12:50:12 AM
Nick misunderstood. The $800 was for both trips: training and encampment.  Almost $700 from Hartsfield to Wichita.
Our family cannot afford the airfare to Kansas.  I'm sure it's a superb encampment, but it's not going to happen. 

Thanks for your assistance, tho.
That makes much more sense. And obviously that's expensive for anyone (else I'd be going!).

Mostly we're bored and wanted to make sure you weren't getting royally misquoted on airfare ;D

Capt Hudgins

We are very understanding of financial situations and travel arrangements at the KS Encampment.  If you still want to come, we could definitely work around you not being able to attend the PIPER staff training, and I am sure we could arrange for somoene to pick you up in Kansas City, MO so it would not be as expensive as a flight to Wichita, KS.

The choices is yours, but we can help make it happen if you are still interested.  Send an e-mail if you have questions to encampment@kswg.cap.gov.

Capt Mark Hudgins
Commandant of Cadets
KS Winter Encampment 2012