Encampment: Winter 2010-2011

Started by viperred396, July 10, 2010, 02:08:16 AM

viperred396

As have been looking all thought the internet for all the winter encampments being hosted this year, I have come up pretty empty handed.  The National website doesn't have a good list of them so does anyone know of any winter encampments other then Kansas?

Thanks.

HGjunkie

Generally, since most summer encampments haven't occoured yet, there is no hurry to post Winter Encampment plans on CAP sites. maybe around the Fall season you'll start seeing announcments about Winter encampments.
Since you Live in COWG, I suggest regularly checking their Website for upcoming events;
http://www.coloradowingcap.org/
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

viperred396

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 10, 2010, 02:23:10 AM
Generally, since most summer encampments haven't occoured yet, there is no hurry to post Winter Encampment plans on CAP sites. maybe around the Fall season you'll start seeing announcments about Winter encampments.
Since you Live in COWG, I suggest regularly checking their Website for upcoming events;

ok thanks I guess now i just play the waiting game.. do you know if COWG normally has one?

HGjunkie

Quote from: viperred396 on July 10, 2010, 02:39:36 AM
Quote from: HGjunkie on July 10, 2010, 02:23:10 AM

ok thanks I guess now i just play the waiting game.. do you know if COWG normally has one?
No, But your Sq. Commander might know.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

CAPSGT

There really aren't that many winter encampments around to be found.

As you mentioned, Kansas is having one.  Texas is currently accepting applications for cadet commander of theirs, but I don't see any activity dates on their cadet programs website.  SER usually holds one in Florida, and off the top of my head I can think of past winter encampments being held in Oregon and New Mexico.  Your best bet is to check the NHQ website, but also check the various wing websites.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

CAPC/officer125

Regular staff applications are now open for KSWG 2010. Command staff applications were due this past Saturday. Hope to know by the end of this week who the C/CC is.
Any questions you have can probably be answered at kswg.cap.gov
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

BillB

Lets talk about shower uniforms. I mean after all this is CAPTalk
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

HGjunkie

Quote from: BillB on July 12, 2010, 05:43:01 PM
Lets talk about shower uniforms. I mean after all this is CAPTalk
Do you really want to open up that can of worms again?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DC

Florida Wing hosts one every year, but our Summer Encampment starts tomorrow, so details for WE are a few months out at least.

Based on past trends though, it will likely start a day or two after Christmas and end a few days into January, and be held at either Camp Blanding or Tyndall AFB.

HGjunkie

Quote from: DC on July 25, 2010, 01:16:01 AM
Florida Wing hosts one every year, but our Summer Encampment starts tomorrow, so details for WE are a few months out at least.

Based on past trends though, it will likely start a day or two after Christmas and end a few days into January, and be held at either Camp Blanding or Tyndall AFB.
The recent Tyndall encampment was pretty epic. Freezing cold, but epic
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

BillB

I'm going to the Florida Wing Encampment in a few hours. I'm shooting a TV news story for WCJB-TV. Going to shoot generic video of cadets in formation, signing in maybe setting up the barracks and an interview with the Deputy Commanderwho has local ties. (but taking a copy of CASPM190-1 with me on thumb drive  LOL)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

nicktavegia

I'm trying to decide between Kansas and Florida for Winter Encampment. The price of getting to Kansas and from the airport to Salinas is too much for my parents.  I think my wing unit will get to fly to Florida for free.

I turn 16 during winter encampment. Think they will make me a birthday cake? LOL
Semper Vigilans,
C/MSgt Nicholas Tavegia
Flight Sergeant Bartow Etowah Composite Squadron
Cadet of the Quarter

DBlair

DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: nicktavegia on September 11, 2010, 01:19:17 PM
I'm trying to decide between Kansas and Florida for Winter Encampment. The price of getting to Kansas and from the airport to Salinas is too much for my parents.  I think my wing unit will get to fly to Florida for free.

I turn 16 during winter encampment. Think they will make me a birthday cake? LOL
You could probably fly in a CAP plane to KS. Or if you are willing to pay the airplane fee, I know there are willing people that would house you for a night and even come pick you up from the airport.
In KS, not only would you get a birthday cake, but you would most likely get a small present.

C/Maj Pat Temaat
C/Deputy Commander
KSWG Winter Encampment 2010

(Oh, and KS is one day longer and you get markmen training)
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff

DBlair

Capt Ford

JOHN E FORD, Capt, CAP
Assistant Administration Officer
Florida Wing

nicktavegia

Semper Vigilans,
C/MSgt Nicholas Tavegia
Flight Sergeant Bartow Etowah Composite Squadron
Cadet of the Quarter

MSG Mac

1000 miles to Kansas,
Atlanta-Tyndall 300 miles
Temperature in Salinas in December/January High 29/Low 19
Temperature at Tyndall 62/43
Airfare: ATL/ Kansas City (couldn't find a connection ATL/SLN) $279
Gas: ATL to Tyndall and return $85
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

1LtNurseOfficer

Quote from: MSG Mac on September 24, 2010, 06:43:47 PM
1000 miles to Kansas,

For those interested in flying to KS for the Winter Encampment, your best bet is to fly into Kansas City, MO, (about 3 hours from Salina) or Wichita (1.5 hours from KSWG HQ) and arrange rides with a local squadron or cadet.  Car rental is available for eligible SMs.  CAP aircraft can arrange landing in Salina.

HGjunkie

1000 miles to Kansas,
Sounds like Tyndall is your best bet!
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DBlair

Quote from: HGjunkie on September 24, 2010, 07:38:32 PM
1000 miles to Kansas,
Sounds like Tyndall is your best bet!

Well, it looks like I'll be seeing you at Tyndall this winter...

a2capt

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: a2capt on September 25, 2010, 05:42:55 AM
Kansas is really fun :)

Not to mention, a handful of CAP Talker will be there.
Really it is a lot of fun, I have gone to '05, '06, '07, '09 and now '10. We do a bunch of things and it is worth it.
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff

DBlair

Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on September 25, 2010, 11:59:14 PM
Quote from: a2capt on September 25, 2010, 05:42:55 AM
Kansas is really fun :)

Not to mention, a handful of CAP Talker will be there.
Really it is a lot of fun, I have gone to '05, '06, '07, '09 and now '10. We do a bunch of things and it is worth it.

As a point of discussion... The same can be said for FLWG Encampment.

HGjunkie

Quote from: DBlair on September 26, 2010, 12:36:09 AMAs a point of discussion... The same can be said for FLWG Encampment.
I second this.  ;D
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

MSG Mac

Just the 35 degree temperature difference would send me to the Florida Encampment
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

HGjunkie

It still gets cold at Tyndall during the winter, I would definetly reccomend bringing gloves. I forgot to take some last year and that + being guidon bearer sucked... :(
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

AirAux

Many years ago, I saw a picture in Life or Post magazine that showed a young man that decided to walk to his girlfriend's house and a blizzard caught him and the picture was of him frozen to death, stuck on a barbed wire fence..  I will never forget that.  Yes, Kansas is a lovely place, but it can be deadly in the winter.  And the wind always blows, average 15 mph.  I was in CAP there, era, 1970 and our squadron put an L-19 down in a cornfield.  I was out of Topeka..  And before you mention hurricanes in Florida, don't forget Kansas has some pretty nasty tornadoes.  Truthfully, I would head to Florida, JMHO as usual..

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: AirAux on September 26, 2010, 11:49:31 AM
Many years ago, I saw a picture in Life or Post magazine that showed a young man that decided to walk to his girlfriend's house and a blizzard caught him and the picture was of him frozen to death, stuck on a barbed wire fence..  I will never forget that.  Yes, Kansas is a lovely place, but it can be deadly in the winter.  And the wind always blows, average 15 mph.  I was in CAP there, era, 1970 and our squadron put an L-19 down in a cornfield.  I was out of Topeka..  And before you mention hurricanes in Florida, don't forget Kansas has some pretty nasty tornadoes.  Truthfully, I would head to Florida, JMHO as usual..
We don't do anything like that. All of the facilities we use are within an eighth of a mile of each other. If it is too cold for the cadets to march or double time between buildings, we have vans to take them. When we go places, we have vans. And the packing list includes a field jacket and gloves. If the cadet doesn't have a field jacket they can bring their own winter coat. If they show up without gloves, we go get them for them. I admit the weather is not the greatest but we take precautions to make sure the cadets are taken care of and not in danger of getting sick or hurt.
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff

addo1

Update for the Texas Wing Winter Encampment:

The Texas Wing Winter Encampment will be held December 26-31, 2010 at Camp Swift, Bastrop, Texas. The executive staff have been announced and the remaining cadet staff will be announced shortly. Basic, ATS, and senior staff applications are due November 15.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

MSG Mac

Quote from: HGjunkie on September 26, 2010, 11:30:10 AM
It still gets cold at Tyndall during the winter, I would definetly reccomend bringing gloves. I forgot to take some last year and that + being guidon bearer sucked... :(

62 degrees is cool, 29 degrees is below freezing.
cool means wear a jacket, 29 degrees means wear a parka.
Kansas in winter= snow, Florida in winter= rain
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

davidsinn

Quote from: MSG Mac on September 28, 2010, 03:57:14 AM29 degrees means wear a parka.

:o That's hoodie weather.  ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DBlair

Quote from: davidsinn on September 28, 2010, 01:34:55 PM
Quote from: MSG Mac on September 28, 2010, 03:57:14 AM29 degrees means wear a parka.

:o That's hoodie weather.  ;D

To many people in FL, 70 degrees is hoodie weather. hehe