record for longest running command of a squadron?

Started by salassa72, June 08, 2005, 02:28:46 PM

salassa72

Does anyone know of or is there a way to find out if there is a record held for the longest consecutive years of a Senior command staff running a Squadron?

Our Commander and Deputy Commander have been working together for 11 years. 

doing some research into the longest running command.

MIKE

At the MAWG conference this year a squadron CC was recognized for a rather lengthy term as a squadron commander.  I don't recall exactly how long, but 11 years is nothing in comparison.
Mike Johnston

dwb

Lt Col Johnnie Pantanelli of the North Castle Composite Squadron, New York Wing.  I'm pretty sure she's commanded that squadron since the early 1980s.

salassa72

I know its not the longest! but another senior member and I were wondering what was the longest held command,
I think just their working together as a team for 11 years, is something special.

Capt SSnyder

We had 2 different squadron commanders in Illinois hold their office over 30 years each. I'm sure there are many more pushing that level.
Steven Snyder, Capt. CAP
Commander
Woodfield Composite Squadron
GLR-IL-075

abysmal

2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

Pylon

Wow. :o  How did they not burn-out??  They must have had some great support staff!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on June 09, 2005, 08:12:50 PM
Wow. :o  How did they not burn-out??  They must have had some great support staff!

It seems that if you don't burn out, you run a well established unit (Read as resistant to change.) and nobody is after your job, you can just coast on autopilot and altitude hold for a while.  We've been doing it like this for 30 years, why stop now?
Mike Johnston

JaL5597

Connecticut had a wing commander who held the position for I believe 15 years. 

Now with limits I highly doubt you will see that sort of thing happen again.

BlueLakes1

I think there's a commander here in KYWG that's pushing 30 years, if he's not past already.

Quote from: JaL5597 on June 09, 2005, 10:05:31 PM

Where are there limits for Squadron Commander terms? Does anyone think there should be if there aren't? Makes sense really, we have term limits for Wing, Region and National Commanders already.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

abysmal

Quote from: MCreedKY214 on June 09, 2005, 10:12:34 PM
Where are there limits for Squadron Commander terms? Does anyone think there should be if there aren't?

I think anyone who does that should get a MEDAL !!

JaL5597

Quote from: MCreedKY214 on June 09, 2005, 10:12:34 PM
I think there's a commander here in KYWG that's pushing 30 years, if he's not past already.

Quote from: JaL5597 on June 09, 2005, 10:05:31 PM

Where are there limits for Squadron Commander terms? Does anyone think there should be if there aren't? Makes sense really, we have term limits for Wing, Region and National Commanders already.

I don't know of limits for the Squadron Commanders but I am pretty sure the Wing Commander term limits really got pushed after this happened. 

SarDragon

PCR has limits all the way down to squadron commander. Absolute max for SqCC is five years, requiring region approval, with three being the normal limit and four being the common extended limit.

http://www.cawg.cap.gov/Files/Supplements/CAPR35_1Supp1.pdf
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

salassa72

Is anyone ENFORCING this time serve limit?? It certainly doesn't seem so.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Capt SSnyder

We have a 4 year limit in IL. Coming up on my 4th in December. Not sure yet what will happen.
Steven Snyder, Capt. CAP
Commander
Woodfield Composite Squadron
GLR-IL-075

Greg

Quote from: salassa72 on June 08, 2005, 02:28:46 PM
Does anyone know of or is there a way to find out if there is a record held for the longest consecutive years of a Senior command staff running a Squadron?

Our Commander and Deputy Commander have been working together for 11 years. 

doing some research into the longest running command.

Just curious- Deputy Commander for Seniors or Deputy Commander for Cadets?

My squadron isn't even six years old, and over those years we've had some rough times (been through several commanders).  I think the longest somebody's been a Squadron/CC in my squadron is........two years?
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

abysmal

Interesting this happend at our meeting tonight.
The squadron commander read a letter from the wing commander ordering ALL sqaudron commanders that have been in command for 4 or more years to prepare to change command...

The wing commander decided that since he can only serve for 4 years, then everyone in leadership positions in the wing should be rotated in 4 year cycles...

Pylon

Quote from: abysmal on June 14, 2005, 04:40:11 AM
Interesting this happend at our meeting tonight.
The squadron commander read a letter from the wing commander ordering ALL sqaudron commanders that have been in command for 4 or more years to prepare to change command...

The wing commander decided that since he can only serve for 4 years, then everyone in leadership positions in the wing should be rotated in 4 year cycles...

Interesting.  Perhaps your Wing King has been reading this thread on CAPTalk.  ;)

So does that decree include your squadron commander?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abysmal

It sure does.
He told us he would be stepping down shortly.
Brought over the guy that will be replacing him to the cadet meeting for the first time last night.
Real nice guy from the senior half of the squadron, but he had never had anything to do with the cadet half.

Only time will tell.
Doesn't make a whole lot of sence to me though.