JFA vs GLR Flight Academy - One week Solo?

Started by xray328, December 11, 2018, 10:29:59 PM

xray328

Does a national flight academy allow cadets to solo their first time there?  I know they can't at Johnson Flight Academy.  Any advantages one way or the other outside of that?

NIN

They can't solo? News to the cadets who soloed this past summer.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

xray328

At JFA? Their first time attending?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eclipse

Can't speak to NFA, but my understanding is that JFA requires 2 sessions to be allowed to attempt a solo.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

No.  Have you guys even talked to anyone who has been to the activity as a CFI or staff member?

95% of cadets solo or pre - solo in the first week. Glider may require 2 academies sessions [Edit: I may have my terminology backward/incorrect, and I'm searching for the reg now that I'm at a computer] to solo by reg,  but I don't have the reg in front of me to confirm that.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on December 12, 2018, 11:40:06 AM
No.  Have you guys even talked to anyone who has been to the activity as a CFI or staff member?

Yes.

Quote from: NIN on December 12, 2018, 11:40:06 AM
95% of cadets solo or pre - solo in the first week. Glider may require 2 academies sessions [Edit: I may have my terminology backward/incorrect, and I'm searching for the reg now that I'm at a computer] to solo by reg,  but I don't have the reg in front of me to confirm that.

95% seems high to me, to be fair the question was "solo", not "pre-solo".

It's clearly allowed by both CAP and the FAA as there are no minimum hours required for first solo flight.

As to gliders:
CAPM 60-1G, Glider Program Procedures Manual, Page 21:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/CAPM060001G_80BC72C96CB5F.pdf
"Cadet Solo Flights
Prior to a cadet operating any glider as a solo pilot, the cadet will be in compliance with all applicable CAPR 60-1, CAP Flight Management, requirements and must have:
1) A current student pilot certificate with solo endorsements in accordance with 14 CFR Part 61 from a CAP instructor pilot in the make and model aircraft flown.
2) Completed a minimum of 30 dual glider instruction flights

Glider academy students are restricted from completing solo the first time they attend, whether it is nationally accredited or not. Waivers may be requested with the concurrence of two flight instructors through the NHQ/DO; however, blanket waivers cannot be approved."

Edit: Corrected the corrections.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Thats the correct reference.

Powered students solo when they are ready, without regard to how many times they've attended.  Many do.

Glider students cannot solo in their first academy unless there is a requested waiver (ie. an experienced glider student attending an academy).
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

xray328

Thank you both for that info. 

Are there any advantages in way of another? 

It used to be that JFA was an Illinois cadet activity but from what I can tell Illinois cadets have no advantage when applying there.

Should a cadet apply to multiple regions, are any ever selected outside of their own region? Are GLR cadets wasting their time applying to NER for instance.

jeders

Quote from: xray328 on December 12, 2018, 05:50:33 PM
Thank you both for that info. 

Are there any advantages in way of another? 

It used to be that JFA was an Illinois cadet activity but from what I can tell Illinois cadets have no advantage when applying there.

Should a cadet apply to multiple regions, are any ever selected outside of their own region? Are GLR cadets wasting their time applying to NER for instance.

My advice, apply for all of them (so long as the dates don't overlap) and go to whichever one you want that you end up being slotted for.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Offutteer

Apply for all that the cadet would be able to attend  AND use the rankings to try to get the one they most want.

The system that creates the slotting will go down the list of cadets, it will hit this cadet, and try to place them into an activity.  It uses the order that the cadet selects to try to get the cadet's best choice.

Don't worry about overlapping dates when applying, that only comes into play after a cadet has been selected for an activity.