Main Menu

Shadow Box Ideas

Started by James Shaw, September 13, 2021, 01:42:17 PM

James Shaw

What would be your ultimate Shadow Box idea? I am looking to build my own and include any and all service-related items from AD, RES, and Volunteer. I currently have separate shadow boxes for my AD Navy, Res Army, and CAP. I have 2 - 4X8 Spaces in my office that have individual items such as those mentioned above. At this point, no idea is "too" crazy as my wife has fussed at me about the bare walls!
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Shuman 14

SO I would have everything in one case but divided into three sections, I "assume" CAP has the most, so I'd put that stuff in the center.

Whichever has the least stuff (Army or Navy) to the left section and the second largest to right section.

On the bottom center of the frame, I'd get an engravable brass plate which would say:

"The Awards and Decorations of James A. Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel, Civil Air Patrol, 1996 -
Master Sergeant, US Army Reserve, 2008 - 2012
Petty Officer Second Class, US Navy, 2000 - 2008"

(Ranks, dates, Middle Initial are just fillers for your actual information)

for the three sections, any award that has an associated medal, put the medals (Fullsize for Military and Miniature for CAP) in order on top, and any ribbon only awards under the medals. In the case of the Army, any right side unit award ribbons under the personal ribbons.

Depending on how many badges you have, place them as you would wear them above the medals. If you have many badges (IE CAP section) arrange the others under the ribbons.

For example...

Navy section (Left)

Badge: Enlisted Surface Warfare Badge

Medal:Navy Achievement Medal, Navy Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal

Ribbon: Navy "E" Ribbon, Overseas Ribbon, Rifle Sharpshooter Ribbon

CAP Section (Center)

Badge: CAP Air Crew Wings, above CAP Ground Team Badge

Medal: All CAP Medal Awards in proper order

Ribbon: CAP Ribbon only awards, in proper order

Badges: all other CAP Badges earned, arranged to fit under the left and right alignment of the Medals and Ribbons above

Army Section (Right)

Badge: Combat Action Badge

Medal: Bronze Star, Army Commendation, Army Achievement, Army Reserve Components Achievement, Iraq Campaign, GWOT Service Medal

Ribbon: Army NCOPD Ribbon, Army Overseas Ribbon, Army Service Ribbon

Badge: Army Expert Badge with RIFLE Bar, Army Marksman Badge with PISTOL Bar

Unit Award: Army Valorous Unit Award, Army Superior Unit Award

(Awards chosen at random, but appropriate for Services)

Any open space in the section can be filled with a Ship's patch, a CAP Wing Patch or Army Shoulder Sleeve Insignia (Combat or Unit Patches)

If arranged right you'll fill that 4x8 space with a huge frame that encompass your whole span of Service.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present