Main Menu

PLAQUE

Started by N6RVT, July 20, 2021, 07:55:14 PM

N6RVT

"An ornamental tablet, typically of metal, porcelain, or wood, that is fixed to a wall or other surface in commemoration of a person or event."

Why is CAP so enamored with these?  How many people actually take these home and hang them on the wall somewhere?

For me they always seemed like the consolation prize you got when they thought an achievement award was too good for you.  I have gotten ridiculous ones like "Step it up award" and "Above and Beyond" that I personally thought were actually humiliating to even receive.

And these things are not cheap to make either.

etodd

I'm with you. But as others here remind me:  None get a paycheck. The certificates, plaques, and ribbons are a way to show appreciation. It makes the leadership feel good to dole them out, and most members like the fact their efforts are noticed. If you want to "file 13" them afterwards like I do, thats fine too.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

They aren't cheap, but they are easy, at least in as much as they require zero higher HQ approval
or effort in writing a narrative.

There's a place 15 minutes from my house that can make most of their awards
same-day, so for those who "can't be bothered" it's a quick way to have
"something".

I think for the most part you have to be of a certain vintage to appreciate
that sort of thing at the levels the presenter think you will.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Might be because some people believe that the awards would be too hard to process, so they do something else.

Procedures for awards are different in each wing, so it may be true in some.

Eclipse

One of the things I've never understood is why the Comm Comm
requires Wing approval.

If I'm a Commander, and I want to commend someone, why do I have to justify that?

At a minimum there should be a level of decoration specific to a Unit CC that can be presented
without any further justification.

Would some Unit CC's hand them out with an eyedropper and others have a fishbowl full of them by the door to
take as you walk in to a meeting?  Sure.  But that happens now anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

There is the Achievement Ribbon. Don't think it requires Wing King approval.

I have one. Got it in the mail for completing some safety survey. Wish I could find that paperwork.

Spam

Could be worse. A certain segment of people just live for papering their "Love Me" office/den walls with stuff like that, and there are parts of DoD that overfeed that impulse.

I invite you to do an internet search on "air force anime swords". There's a hilarious ongoing discussion about the regrettably nerdy USAF trend to hand out outrageously silly presentation swords in honor guard serious situations. It really is worth a laugh or ten.

Cheers,
Spam

CHECK the expression on her face: "OH my God, please get me out of here".

"Who needs a sixth gen fighter or hypersonic missiles when you have... THIS, to hang on your den wall".

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 21, 2021, 03:44:10 AMThere is the Achievement Ribbon. Don't think it requires Wing King approval.

Must be approved by Group CC or higher.

"That Others May Zoom"

GroundHawg

Coins are the modern day plaque. Totally worthless and easy. I sold all of mine on ebay.

N6RVT

Quote from: GroundHawg on July 21, 2021, 01:01:53 PMCoins are the modern day plaque. Totally worthless and easy. I sold all of mine on ebay.

Even the US Army did that to me.  And thank you for the disposal suggestion, I'll do that.

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on July 21, 2021, 04:44:08 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on July 21, 2021, 03:44:10 AMThere is the Achievement Ribbon. Don't think it requires Wing King approval.
Must be approved by Group CC or higher.
The achievement award was added some years back when the actual armed services all came out with the same thing.

I got several US Army Achievement medals, I think they were Battalion Commander level awards which would also roughly equate to a CAP Group Commander.

At the event I was referring to, eight people were put in for achievement awards, seven were approved and right after those were awarded I got a "step it up award" plaque.  I would have been fine with being passed over and receiving nothing at all, but getting that after the preceding seven members got actual awards was a humiliation that made me disappear for about a year.

Eclipse

Like "step it up" as in "do better"?

That's straight up bizarre.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Well, plaques are really about the best that can be done for a lot of annual-type Wing awards.  I think those do mean something, but some sort of random one-time only plaque doesn't mean a lot. 

Frankly, some of the CAP plaques I got mean more to me than the majority of the official ribbon awards since I have no idea what most of my ribbons mean.  Once they're in the proper order I tend to forget them. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on July 21, 2021, 05:29:26 PMWell, plaques are really about the best that can be done for a lot of annual-type Wing awards.

Man I'd like to flush all those annual "of the nominated awards" at every level.

"That Others May Zoom"

Simplex

Anybody remember a post from December 2016 by Prodigal Jim about finding an 'Official CAP  Sword' in the Vanguard catalogue? Apparently that idea had been floated around some other time in the past. I'm glad that never went anywhere. Maybe the AF could name that sword "Goliath" hook it onto an A-10, and drop it (ceremonially, of course) on some unsuspecting enemy! 

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Simplex on July 21, 2021, 07:04:13 PMAnybody remember a post from December 2016 by Prodigal Jim about finding an 'Official CAP  Sword' in the Vanguard catalogue?

It still exists. It just isn't a uniform item.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: Spam on July 21, 2021, 04:34:31 AMhand out outrageously silly presentation swords in honor guard serious situations

I especially want the "honor guard" that's giving out the absurd anime sword to be dressed in ABUs with black gloves, berets and ... ascots?

arajca

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on July 21, 2021, 08:37:03 PM
Quote from: Spam on July 21, 2021, 04:34:31 AMhand out outrageously silly presentation swords in honor guard serious situations

I especially want the "honor guard" that's giving out the absurd anime sword to be dressed in ABUs with black gloves, berets and ... ascots?
They're called "scarves".

I actually had cadets asking for these for our unit color guard. My response was show me where it says CAP color guards can carry swords. Never was asked again.

Eclipse

The (apparently) still in draft CAPM 36-2203 prohibits their use.

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/CAPM_362203_A720814DCFDCA.pdf

I mean, it's only been what? 5 years? 

"That Others May Zoom"

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: arajca on July 21, 2021, 08:51:41 PMThey're called "scarves".

If that is supposed to be an "honor guard" those are definitely ascots; ascots with, if my eyes do not deceive, the Air Force Academy emblem upon them. I guess if my honor guard is run by SF, it's going to be the fightingest honor guard - hence the ABUs.

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: Simplex on July 21, 2021, 07:04:13 PMAnybody remember a post from December 2016 by Prodigal Jim about finding an 'Official CAP  Sword' in the Vanguard catalogue? Apparently that idea had been floated around some other time in the past. I'm glad that never went anywhere. Maybe the AF could name that sword "Goliath" hook it onto an A-10, and drop it (ceremonially, of course) on some unsuspecting enemy! 

Still on the site:

https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/civil-air-patrol-sword-etch-with-civil-air-patrol-words
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

N6RVT

Quote from: RiverAux on July 21, 2021, 05:29:26 PMWell, plaques are really about the best that can be done for a lot of annual-type Wing awards.  I think those do mean something, but some sort of random one-time only plaque doesn't mean a lot.

The wing and region "Of The Year" awards come with a corresponding Commanders Commendation.  I would suppose the National one does as well, as there are three levels of that award.  While I have never seen it established that the Group "Of The Year" award comes with an achievement award, it would make sense.  The AWARD makes sense, and I appreciate the ribbon that goes with it, but the Plaque is a waste of money.

The only two CAP Plaques that I actually display at home are my 1974 Most Improved Cadet and my Pacific Region "Of The Year" plaque, because its the highest award Plaque I ever got.  Also its smaller in size and higher in quality than most.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on July 22, 2021, 12:57:16 AMThe wing and region "Of The Year" awards come with a corresponding Commanders Commendation.  I would suppose the National one does as well, as there are three levels of that award. 

They do? I've had members earn "of the year" awards and can't recall seeing them receive a Commander's Commendation. Granted, I may have totally missed it but all I can recall is the plaque/trophy.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Paul Creed III on July 22, 2021, 11:26:54 AM
Quote from: Dwight Dutton on July 22, 2021, 12:57:16 AMThe wing and region "Of The Year" awards come with a corresponding Commanders Commendation.  I would suppose the National one does as well, as there are three levels of that award. 

They do? I've had members earn "of the year" awards and can't recall seeing them receive a Commander's Commendation. Granted, I may have totally missed it but all I can recall is the plaque/trophy.

Can attest to that.  In 2017 I received "Of the Year" for Wing and Region; nice plaques but no Commendation. 

Actually...one nice plaque; the other has my name misspelled accompanied by a promise to get me a corrected version.  Never happened.  Nice one is displayed and the other is boxed.

Back to the OP point.  Never saw them as the consolation prize but I can see how you get there.  We made some fun awards at unit level ("Two Thumbs Up") but we made sure that our own Of the Year awards within the squadron meant something.

Eclipse

Further to this, many of the "of the year nominated" are never actually...awarded.

The recipient gets a message that they should drive 4 hours to attended the Wing / Region / Whatever Banquet / Conference, with no indication as to "why". They don't, and the certificate or plaque winds up behind the PDO's file cabinet and the member either has no idea they were selected, or learns about it from the newsletter or from someone else who actually went. 3 years later when the HQ in question moves, someone finds the award.

The above is second only to any number of situations I am personally aware of where a member was
told to "make sure to be at the banquet" with either the implication of, or the overt verbiage that
they had been "chosen / nominated, etc.", only to find out they were not the selectee, but the "PAO thought
it would be great to get a photo of all the nominees".

Topping the list is being told you were selected, "make sure to get there early", and the respective award
is left off the agenda and never mentioned.

And then the leadership wonders why less and less people each year bother with this nonsense.

I've also been directly involved with the below.

Director of "X" refuses to accept submitted nominations for "X" of the year, despite the
fact that an acknowledge rock star in the job is submitted and supported by everyone because
"we've just decided not to submit or present that award this year"...but then the same guy is
happy enough to accept the same award for the same job, written in by the exact guy
for him, who he refused to even submit the year before, without even acknowledging the irony.

Then we had the Happy Fun Time of the push for "every unit to submit someone for every award",
including multiple go-rounds on the cadet awards for "Cadet-of-the-Year" - after the submissions
were received, to great waling and gnashing of teeth, the response is "most of your nominations are
inappropriate due to the member not meeting the minimum criteria for the award".

It came to light later that those making the push had not actually read the reg, and were just
pressing the "you will submit a nomination, period" even though a number of units had no cadets
who met the minimums.

That was when I was done wasting my time.

Before you press the "that's just your wing" button, know that the above is not "just my wing".

"That Others May Zoom"

JohhnyD

Quote from: Eclipse on July 22, 2021, 01:43:47 PMFurther to this, many of the "of the year nominated" are never actually...awarded.

The recipient gets a message that they should drive 4 hours to attended the Wing / Region / Whatever Banquet / Conference, with no indication as to "why". They don't, and the certificate or plaque winds up behind the PDO's file cabinet and the member either has no idea they were selected, or learns about it from the newsletter or from someone else who actually went. 3 years later when the HQ in question moves, someone finds the award.

The above is second only to any number of situations I am personally aware of where a member was
told to "make sure to be at the banquet" with either the implication of, or the overt verbiage that
they had been "chosen / nominated, etc.", only to find out they were not the selectee, but the "PAO thought
it would be great to get a photo of all the nominees".

Topping the list is being told you were selected, "make sure to get there early", and the respective award
is left off the agenda and never mentioned.

And then the leadership wonders why less and less people each year bother with this nonsense.

I've also been directly involved with the below.

Director of "X" refuses to accept submitted nominations for "X" of the year, despite the
fact that an acknowledge rock star in the job is submitted and supported by everyone because
"we've just decided not to submit or present that award this year"...but then the same guy is
happy enough to accept the same award for the same job, written in by the exact guy
for him, who he refused to even submit the year before, without even acknowledging the irony.

Then we had the Happy Fun Time of the push for "every unit to submit someone for every award",
including multiple go-rounds on the cadet awards for "Cadet-of-the-Year" - after the submissions
were received, to great waling and gnashing of teeth, the response is "most of your nominations are
inappropriate due to the member not meeting the minimum criteria for the award".

It came to light later that those making the push had not actually read the reg, and were just
pressing the "you will submit a nomination, period" even though a number of units had no cadets
who met the minimums.

That was when I was done wasting my time.

Before you press the "that's just your wing" button, know that the above is not "just my wing".
Maybe not JUST your Wing, but certainly not my current Wing. Leadership matters, a lot.

N6RVT

They do? I've had members earn "of the year" awards and can't recall seeing them receive a Commander's commendation. Granted, I may have totally missed it but all I can recall is the plaque/trophy.

Enough people said that that I had to do some research.  And it comes down to your personnel officer.  In my case the write-up for "Of The Year" was also used to submit me for an actual award.  Both times I got both.  And in both cases they were simultaneously approved by the same approving authority.  One went to wing level and one to region.  But also - in both cases the actual award was not approved until they knew where the "Of The Year" award stopped.  So your personnel officers have to be paying attention the whole way up and down the chain or you just get forgotten, and this seems like an easy chain to break.

The "Of the Year" plaque got hung on the wall at the squadron somewhere, then wound up in a box that went in the trash when we moved.  The actual commendations were appreciated and motivated me to do more.

TheSkyHornet

Totally with you.

I received an unofficial activity award once which had a corresponding Commander's Commendation. I asked why when I had already received the other. The response I received was "Yeah, that's a nice plaque, but let's make sure you get a real award." Uh, okay? Appreciate it, but don't really know much about it.

I've seen unofficial OTY awards that did not come with corresponding ribbon rack bling or anything in eServices. And this is a real issue with "Thing of the year" when it's not in R39-3.

For the purposes of this post, "unofficial" means something not prescribed/defined within CAP regulations. A made-up Wing award can be removed/changed tomorrow.

Jester

I was told that the latest version of 39-3 had some type of equivalent to the AF Recognition Ribbon, where getting these type of OTY awards would be recognized.

It's in one of those CAP black holes of development I suppose.

Simplex

Not wanting to drag this out any further, but same thing happened to me. Was advised I would be receiving an award at our Wing Conference, drug my poor wife half way across the state, checked into the hotel. Wife stayed in the room while I put on the blue suit and mingled. A member of wing staff spotted me and introduced herself. Later at the banquet we sat there enjoyed the meal and speakers. Program ended, no award. My squadron commander went ballistic, I don't know who he spoke to but someone told him 'they' didn't know I was there. They did offer to reimburse me for the room, but when I checked out the next day, the desk clerk told me someone else had already claimed the money. I did eventually get it back and got the award a year or so later.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Simplex on July 30, 2021, 04:14:02 PMNot wanting to drag this out any further, but same thing happened to me. Was advised I would be receiving an award at our Wing Conference, drug my poor wife half way across the state, checked into the hotel. Wife stayed in the room while I put on the blue suit and mingled. A member of wing staff spotted me and introduced herself. Later at the banquet we sat there enjoyed the meal and speakers. Program ended, no award. My squadron commander went ballistic, I don't know who he spoke to but someone told him 'they' didn't know I was there. They did offer to reimburse me for the room, but when I checked out the next day, the desk clerk told me someone else had already claimed the money. I did eventually get it back and got the award a year or so later.

Yeah, see, stuff like this is part of the retention problem here.

I've seen instances where members, cadets in particular, were told that they would be receiving an award at a conference no more than two weeks from the conference date. They responded that they couldn't make the conference. You think that there was a follow-up with them to schedule an alternate date? Of course not.

I've seen cases where an award was going to be presented at a meeting, but the person was never told; it was to be a surprise. So then it's held until their next attendance, but they can't make that event either. It just keeps dragging out.

That's extremely poorly organized administrative buffoonery.

N6RVT

Quote from: Jester on July 29, 2021, 12:31:25 AMI was told that the latest version of 39-3 had some type of equivalent to the AF Recognition Ribbon, where getting these type of OTY awards would be recognized. It's in one of those CAP black holes of development I suppose.

Adopt that and literally call it the OTY ribbon, with some way to differentiate the level that issued it.  I would say no need for a corresponding medal, but if we give out a medal for passing a 20 minute written test (Yaeger) this may as well have one too.

Biggest selling point would be to eliminate inconsistency between regions.  Some give a decoration to accompany the OTY award, some do not.

HaroldBuchanan

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 21, 2021, 02:57:57 AMMight be because some people believe that the awards would be too hard to process, so they do something else.

Procedures for awards are different in each wing, so it may be true in some.

It is very unfortunate there is a culture of making awards hard to process.
LtCol Harold Buchanan
OR-042
DCP
Retired US Army

HaroldBuchanan

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on July 22, 2021, 12:57:16 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on July 21, 2021, 05:29:26 PMWell, plaques are really about the best that can be done for a lot of annual-type Wing awards.  I think those do mean something, but some sort of random one-time only plaque doesn't mean a lot.

The wing and region "Of The Year" awards come with a corresponding Commanders Commendation.  I would suppose the National one does as well, as there are three levels of that award.  While I have never seen it established that the Group "Of The Year" award comes with an achievement award, it would make sense.  The AWARD makes sense, and I appreciate the ribbon that goes with it, but the Plaque is a waste of money.

The only two CAP Plaques that I actually display at home are my 1974 Most Improved Cadet and my Pacific Region "Of The Year" plaque, because its the highest award Plaque I ever got.  Also its smaller in size and higher in quality than most.

Some proactive wings do this.  Some don't.  We forget that our experience is not the same as other wings.
LtCol Harold Buchanan
OR-042
DCP
Retired US Army

etodd

How often are there only 3 or 4 people in a Wing that do a certain job ... so they simply rotate the "of the year award" amongst them?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

3 or 4?  Dreamer.

"That Others May Zoom"