What did the 4" seal go on?

Started by N6RVT, July 15, 2021, 10:37:00 PM

N6RVT

I know the 3" seal used to go on flight suits and still goes on polo shirts, but I don't remember what the larger 4" seal was for.

Spam

Flight suits for (us) fat guys?

;D

Cheers
Spam

PHall

Wasn't the four inch seal used on the old nylon flight jackets?

N6RVT

Quote from: PHall on July 16, 2021, 01:03:15 AMWasn't the four inch seal used on the old nylon flight jackets?

That makes sense, and leads to the next question:  When did that stop?  Thats the WW2 way of wearing the squadron / unit patch, which later shrunk and moved to the shoulder, but I don't remember actively seeing that even in the 1980's, and he pictures I see are almost all B&W.

I know my squadron dates back to WW2 and we have a 5" version of our patch as well as the current 3" version, but it doesn't go on anything.

Simplex

When I was a Cadet back in the early 1960's I vaguely remember a member wearing a short jacket with a large "patch" on the right front. It was during a 'REDCAP' and at that age and time I wasn't paying much attention to that stuff.

AdAstra

The 4" CAP seal patches that I have are the pre-1984 design.

Earlier, I did a quick walk through uniform manuals going back to the 1960s and flight jackets are not mentioned anywhere.
Charles Wiest

Mustang

The 4" seals (both versions) were worn on the flight suit and flight jacket before the 3" version was introduced.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "