Vanguard Nametapes too tall

Started by Hawk200, June 04, 2021, 01:55:07 AM

baronet68

Quote from: Eclipse on June 08, 2021, 05:30:50 PM
Quote from: baronet68 on June 08, 2021, 01:06:14 AMA 1/16" difference between tapes doesn't seem so bad when considering there was a time when almost everyone in CAP wore nametapes that had about twice that size difference.

Back in the day, The Bookstore sold CAP tapes that were woven on some weird machine using a hot-cut edge and embroidered border.

My understanding from a conversation BITD with The Bookstore was that the one on the right, with the
merrowed edge, was originally intended as a luggage or "other" tag, not a nametape (despite the indication
as such in the 2001 Catalog), and somehow found its way as a nametape. 

Can't tell you how many of those I've corrected over the decades.

What was it about those nametapes that you were "correcting"?

They were definitely sold exclusively as uniform nametapes back when I joined as a cadet back in the early 1980's and had been in use since the 70's.  The back of the tapes was exposed woven material unsuitable as a stand-alone luggage tag... I'm sure someone, somewhere, may have sewn a pair of them together to make a luggage tag.  They were popular at about 1/2 the price of the more the traditional 'military-style' embroidered Civil Air Patrol tapes. 

[/quote]
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Eclipse

Quote from: baronet68 on June 08, 2021, 11:58:46 PMWhat was it about those nametapes that you were "correcting"?

That they were not nametapes, and even if they were, they don't match, so why would you wear it, 1/2 price or otherwise.

I think VG may have even indicated them as such when they inherited them from the Bookstore.

(and now my evening will be spent looking for that reference instead of building my Hackintosh).

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=8894.20

Referenced as such back in 2009, which is probably around the time the old stock ran out and VG
removed it and the description as such.
(Granted referencing my own assertion is hardly authoritative)

And in the other direction's favor, the old Cadet field uniform cloth tape was merrowed, so it's
an honest mistake.

But it also makes sense as a finished edge like that can't be sized properly on larger or smaller shirts.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

In the bookstore catalog, circa 2000, both the marrowed (item 599I) and non-marrowed (item 599K) CAP tapes are listed as "Blue Breast Badge - Cloth". The only difference between the two is that 599K's description states that it matches the name tapes (599H) and 599I's description states that it is a loom weave. Considering that 599I was $0.70 and 599K was $1.25 and considering that most new members wouldn't know the difference, I can certainly see why so many wound up being used.

Additionally, one of the example pictures for the BDUs in '97 version of 39-1 has the marrowed edge CAP tape on the uniform.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

N6RVT

And they are all gone as of next week.  Along with the plastic encased rank that Vanguard is still selling.

Spaceman3750

Had the same issue as OP. Called Vanguard today, was told that it was within the "military spec" tolerance of 1/8". /shrug

Eclipse

Ran across this today...

https://www.facebook.com/capnhq/posts/col-richard-l-griffith-chairman-of-civil-air-patrols-national-uniform-
committee-/968591416496480/

...which actually show the machine used for the tapes...

The comments are pretty spicy, too.

"That Others May Zoom"