ADHD and Autism in Cadets

Started by rebowman, January 23, 2009, 09:05:30 PM

DC

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on August 09, 2009, 01:31:56 AM
Quote from: Gunner C on January 29, 2009, 08:50:58 AM
As a squadron commander, I found that the formula above is the only way to go.  Working with the parents, you can take a difficult cadet and turn them into a good one, take a good cadet and turn them into a great one.  Each one has their potential, none are the same.  Our job is to make them into their best self.
TRue that.
You felt the need to resurrect a six month old thread just to say 'true that'?

Hoorah

Well actually i do have adhd and im just fine in cap .

DBlair

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on August 09, 2009, 02:08:38 AM

From Jimdo 'About Me' Page...
Hello, Im a C/AB In Civil Air patrol. I have been in cap for almost 2 years.
My position in CAp is element member.
Im from GLR OH 115.
My favorite musaic is rock, metal, Industry metal.
I like disturbed. Nickleback.
I am trained in Firts Aid, and CPR child and CPR adult.

2 Years as an C/AB??? ...just curious why the lack of progression in the Cadet Program.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

DC

Quote from: DBlair on August 09, 2009, 07:43:08 AM

Im from GLR OH 115.

2 Years as an C/AB??? ...just curious why the lack of progression in the Cadet Program.
Actually, according to his signature he is now a 'C/AM', what ever that is...

Possibly a C/Amn, I'm not sure...

IceNine

^^^ FYI guys.

Those posts are roughly equal to NOT COOL.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Spike

Quote from: IceNine on August 09, 2009, 04:18:52 PM
^^^ FYI guys.

Those posts are roughly equal to NOT COOL.

I totally second that.  That is an uncalled for attack.  Shame on those that sink to that level. 

LtCol Hooligan

It is very interesting that this thread became active again because this is something I have been thinking about for the last few months now.  I recently got a foster son who has Asbergers.  He just turned 12.  When he first came to us back in March I thought there was no way I would ever entertain allowing him to join CAP.  He really liked rules and wanted to follow them, but he was not able to handle it if the rules changed.  He would get angry and focus on what was supposed to happen or what happened before.  This is highly typical of Asbergers- getting stuck on things.  Well, for the last few months, my wife and I have kept him on a stict regiment and worked to adjust his medicine since he has grown so much and I am begginning to see a young man who might just do well in CAP.  He so wants to fly and be a part of the program.  I took him out to help build the glider and he was running around trying to figure out just how all of the parts fit together.  Had his head stuck in the wings and watching how the stabilizer went on.  Eventually I had to tell him his job was to hold the back of the plane down so it didn't flip on its nose.  He stayed there for 30 minutes- just holding that plane in place.  Just 1 month ago, he would not have been able to handle it.  I mostly just wanted to share what I have seen.  I think I might try him in scouts first and depending on how long he is with us have him try CAP in a year or two.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

majdomke

Just to add my two-cents... I have a few with ADD/ADHD and one in particular I had difficulty with. Apart from having slow progress in the program, he is also constantly being talked to about disruptions. Wanting to give him something to do that would keep him busy but not able to put him in charge because of his low rank, I made him a guidon bearer. At first he balked on the idea but once I printed off the order of the guidon from D&C and showed him how important it was, he really took to it. Now, he knows that order backwards and forwards and enjoys doing it. He's gone from 50% attendance to better than 90% because he thinks we need him. He also has enjoyed teaching younger cadets how to do his job for when he's not there or for the other flight. This hasn't gotten rid of his classroom disruptions but has helped.

gistek

I've worked with several cadets with learning and/or social delays. They do require a little more leadership in the beginning, but pairing them with a cadet just a little more advanced can help a lot. It also helps, once they've mastered something, to have them help another cadet to learn that skill. This is the "See it, do it, teach it" method.

Here are a few things that seem to help:

Provide a written checklist of the tasks required for the Curry. This gives the cadet interim goals and a way to track progress. Special needs cadets might need checklists for several grades, but should be encouraged to create their own as they progress through ranks.

Take pictures of the cadet and senior staff members that the cadet will need to interact with. Many special needs cadets have difficulty remembering names and faces. A pictorial chain of command helps them learn to recognize other unit members more quickly.

The Squadron Commander, Deputy Commander for Cadets and the Cadet Commander should talk privately with any cadet that tends to be disruptive, remind the cadet that improper behavior can delay their next promotion and that serious behavior problems could lead to demotion. This meeting should include instruction on proper behavior. Afterwards, a simple reminder should suffice to curtail improper behavior.

If a cadet's improper behavior constitutes a safety problem, the safety officer should discuss ORM and Safety First in depth with cadets. This discussion should include training on when and how cadets should remind other members to follow safety guidelines.

kung

My 17-year-old cadet with Asperger's just received his Mitchell. Took him five years but he did it. I think the biggest accomplishment was staying with the program with other cadets who don't understand. This summer he completed a glider encampment and did an NCSA, his first. He's an MRO and worked at multiple airshows. Worked on support staff for a cadet encampment. None of it easy for him, but he did it.
Every cadet does have different needs and for an Aspie, just staying in the program is an accomplishment. I would talk to his parents but he might be offended if he knows you're talking with them about him (or her).
My son made it because I'm very involved in the program; I'm a wing officer in our state. My wife is a DCS in his squadron. We don't pull strings for him but our involvement ensures we know the processes well enough that we can sort of plow the road for him. He still has to go down the road on his own, though.
I think the biggest shame is the many members who think that cadets with various disabilities (yes, I hear from them -- all across the US) don't belong in CAP because we're (in their minds) supposed to be churning out USAFA candidates. CAP in general seems afraid to go public about people with disabilities in the organization.

Hoorah

Quote from: DBlair on August 09, 2009, 07:43:08 AM

Im from GLR OH 115.

I just turned a airman they have to verify paperwork and pin me.

Spike

^ Congrats on getting promoted soon. 

wuzafuzz

This is a great discussion, improving awareness of kids with various conditions.  Keep the conversation going!  CAP helps build good citizens, in addition to building interest in the military.

As the father of two young men with ADD I watched their struggles and learned a great deal along the way.  The amount of inaccurate information out there is astounding, and it's important to understand the sypmtoms are not identical in every case.  My two boys presented so differently I didn't believe it at first.  I've even seen family physicians who don't get it.  Our experience improved dramatically with counseling from a psychologist.

Also understand that ADD and ADHD are different.  There has been lots of talk about outbursts and disruptions, but that's not the only affect.  I learned that ADD kids can lack the "motivation switch" in their brains. Thay WANT to acheive and beat themselves up for not doing so.  That can lead to depression and anxiety, which is easily worsened by our "typical" reactions.

We can help by understanding the strategies they need to suceed, instead of tolerating them on the fringes.  Kids like this can do quite well in a structured environment and many of them excel in the military.  This thread has some great examples of how we can work with such kids and help them succeed.

FWIW, my oldest son is in the Marines now and he LOVES it.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."