Main Menu

Flight Funding

Started by all around pilot, May 24, 2022, 08:55:17 PM

all around pilot

New pilot and curious:

I have heard that CAP funds 4 hours of flying per month, per pilot. As well as initial training in the aircraft, Form 5 checkrides, Form 91 checkrides. Question is, where is all of this written? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Just trying to find some written guidance on what is paid for by CAP and when I need to swipe my own credit card.

Eclipse

Initial:
Adult - No
Cadets - rarely

Form 5:
Initial rarely
Recurring generally if you are active.

Form 91:
Initial maybe if you are active.
Recurring generally if you are active.

Monthly - Funded A12 type missions generally 1-2 hours a month max, and not for "all", per se,
though low pilot numbers in most wings means "all" could be at the practical level.

More than that, outside a SAREx, would be rare.

CAPR 70-1 outlines a little of this, otherwise it varies by wing and your
best bet is to consult the Wing DO.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

This varies wing to wing, so the best place to start is with your squadron Ops officer or Stan/Eval officer. If your squadron doesn't have either of those, try group/wing.

In Texas, it's generally 3 hours per pilot per year (used to be more, but a few bad apples ruined it for everyone) funded on the proficiency mission and renewal form 5s and form 91s, so long as you don't let your form 5 lapse by more than a month.

There is no initial training for senior members, however, there is usually some money available for getting licensed pilots on-boarded and ready for their form 5; again, this can vary wing to wing.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

etodd

As for training ... I did my IFR, Commercial, CFI, and CFII, all the squadron's 172/G1000. All self-pay.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

all around pilot

Quote from: etodd on May 25, 2022, 12:54:02 AMAs for training ... I did my IFR, Commercial, CFI, and CFII, all the squadron's 172/G1000. All self-pay.

Sorry I meant initial checkout in the aircraft.

audiododd

If you are a new CAP member and a pilot, you MAY be eligible for a few hours to prepare for your Form 5 under the new-pilot onboarding program.  It varies by wing, but in AZWG, if you qualify, you are usually given 2 flights (aprox 1.5 each) with a CAP Instructor to evaluate your readiness for your F5.  Anything above that is on you.  However, here they will only fund onboarding pilots that will have an immediate impact on the mission (e.g. a private pilot with 50 hours and a wet certificate may not get funded because they won't be able to train for TMP for quite a while, but a Commercial Pilot with 400 hours, could start training for MP almost immediately).  

As others have said, your squadron ops or stan/eval officer would be the best place to start.  

The pilot onboarding program is discussed in CAPP 70-12
Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

Pinecone

When I came onboard with MD wing, I got one paid onboarding flight, then the Form 5 was self funded.

Since then, I have been able to get a proficiency flight most months.  YMMV

FlyingPig

My soul longs for the days of CAWG CD flights where I was flying 30+ hours a month.  Nobody tells you when youre living the best days of your life :)
Robert Steht, Capt.
Mission Pilot/CD Pilot
CFI Airplane / CFI Helicopter
Former Sq. Commander