OK, Foreflight Gurus, Make Me Smart

Started by NIN, January 06, 2023, 04:08:49 PM

NIN

I'm kind of a tyro Foreflight user been at it for a year or more but since I'm a right-seater, I don't use it as often as I'd like.  Just got a new iPad so I can deal with iOS 16 and update my Foreflight to a later version. Yay!

Here's my use case scenario, and I'm sure there's a checkbox or a button I'm missing.

I have created a 10nm circle search pattern around Airport X (easy, I know how to do that).

But, I want to fly from Airport Y, south of Airport X, north to the circle search pattern I created and intersect the circle at the closest point to Airport Y which is approximately the 7 o'clock position on the circle. Then fly the route clockwise.

Whenever I create the route (enter Airport Y, then insert the circle SAR pattern centered on Airport X), Foreflight plots my route of flight from Airport Y directly across the entire circle, darn near crossing over Airport X, and picking the waypoint on the north side of the circle pattern at approximately the 1 o'clock position.

How can I chart this out and tell Foreflight "hey, no, don't start at that waypoint, start at this one?"

Bonus: I'd like to fly a second (and third) circle pattern concentric to the first at .5 nm spacing. I think I know how to do that (connect multiple patterns together) but any tips, tricks and gouge on how to do that in a smart way that doesn't make me fumble around would be well appreciated.  The way my luck as has been so far, I'll add a 2nd circle pattern and Foreflight will very helpfully take me from the end of the first circle all the way across the circle to some other waypoint to start flying the 2nd ring.

Thanks
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Blanding

As far as I know, there's no way to tell ForeFlight where you want to start the circle pattern (like the other patterns, where you can specify a starting track).

My recommendation would be to create your route, depict the circle, then fly around the ring without worrying about what leg is currently active. You could tap on a route segment (any of the lines between the "SAR" waypoints) and select "Fly Leg" to make that leg active, but be aware that this will remove the portion of the circle "behind" that leg.

You can only depict one SAR pattern at a time, so if you need to make three concentric circle patterns, I recommend creating three user waypoints that you can use as the center points for each circle. This way, you can precisely plot the centers of each ring, and when you need to make circle #2, you can tap Procedure, SAR, then change the waypoint from "CIR1" to "CIR2," for example.

coudano

Create user defined waypoint(s) add them to your route of flight and start the search pattern anchored from those.

NIN

Quote from: coudano on January 07, 2023, 05:29:44 AMCreate user defined waypoint(s) add them to your route of flight and start the search pattern anchored from those.
Yeah,  tried that. Didn't get what I expected.  :(

I think I was definitely overthinking it. Could have expanded the SAR circle into waypoints, started a 2nd bigger SAR circle,  expanded it into waypoints, etc.  And then when you push the flight plan into the G1000,  fly to your first preferred point and then activate that and subsequent legs. an
At the end of the first circle just fly to the next outer concentric circle's next waypoint, rinse & repeat.

As it turned out,  our sortie was retasked to an expanding square pattern,  which was far easier to deal with.  (Except we found a limitation to the G1000. It didn't like our flight plan and modified it when we uploaded, dropping legs out, cutting corners,  etc. We should have just used the feature in the Garmin instead)

Thanks for the replies.

NIN on mobile.  Tiny keyboard, big misspellings

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.