I'm the new C/Operations Officer

Started by AndrewA74, July 10, 2009, 03:41:47 PM

AndrewA74

Hello,
I've recently been appointed the Cadet Operations Officer in my Squadron. Here is my list of duties.

Commander of the Guard- ensures there are 2 cadets to guard the gate at every meeting (Sgt of Guard and one sentury; a third may be used as an observer for training purposes only), uses the dry-erase board in my office to post the guard schedule, listing all cadets in the unit and their month they must serve on gate guard.  Ensures proper training of the guards, and they know how to conduct themselves in all situations.  Reports to C/CC or Officer of the Day as appointed by C/CC.

Serves as a contact point for exec staff during special events.  For example, at the Balloon fest/Scout Show etc, you'll be overseeing specific duties as appointed by me or a staff member, and conducting those tasks.  More info will give given to you at a later time.

Stays up-to-date about new training opportunities and requirements for our unit. Send the opportunity to the exec staff for approval.  Once approved and scheduled, you'll be put in charge of planning the training and will help with carrying it out. Myself and the cadet exec staff will plan the major aspects of it, but you'll be doing smaller work on it, more specific stuff that what the staff does. Keep the XO informed.  Communication is key.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to better do my job?
Andrew

DC

I would do your best to take the initiative as much as possible within your job description; you mentioned staying up to date on training opportunities, maybe you should actively seek out interesting things for your unit to do.

I afraid can't help much more than that, I've never seen much point in a Cadet Operations Officer (or Ops Airman, in your case), it sounds to me like you are getting what the First Sergeant, XO, Leadership, AE and ES officers don't want to do...

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

AndrewA74

Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2009, 06:22:01 PM
Sentry?

Where are you?  Bolivia?
We are at an airport, and we have a hangar inside the fence, we need a gateguard at every meeting.
Andrew

IceNine

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

Quote from: AndrewA74 on July 10, 2009, 06:29:45 PM
Sentry?

Where are you?  Bolivia?
We are at an airport, and we have a hangar inside the fence, we need a gateguard at every meeting.
Andrew

Are they guarding the airport from CAP, or CAP from the airport?  Is that all they do on a meeting night? 2-3 cadets standing guard?

"That Others May Zoom"

AndrewA74

NO, WE DO THIS BEFORE OUR MEETING! If I knew I was going to get attacked for something our squadron does, I would have never joined here.

DC

Quote from: AndrewA74 on July 10, 2009, 06:39:59 PM
NO, WE DO THIS BEFORE OUR MEETING! If I knew I was going to get attacked for something our squadron does, I would have never joined here.

Chill, no one is attacking you, they are merely commenting on a practice that is, really, a little over-dramatic. CAPTalk is a great way to pick up knowledge and hear about what is going on around the country, but you need to develop thick skin and learn to not take everything personally.

AndrewA74

Quote from: DC on July 10, 2009, 06:43:28 PM

Chill, no one is attacking you, they are merely commenting on a practice that is, really, a little over-dramatic. CAPTalk is a great way to pick up knowledge and hear about what is going on around the country, but you need to develop thick skin and learn to not take everything personally.
Thick skin and patience is something I don't have. But if I remember right, it's the airport who asked us to be out there. And besides, it's actually quite cool, I've met Dale Earnhardt Jr. twice. He flies out of our airport.
Andrew

IceNine

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sarcasm
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Hawk200

Quote from: AndrewA74 on July 10, 2009, 06:45:32 PMThick skin and patience is something I don't have.

We could all stand to develop it a little more. Take things with a grain of salt, there's good information here.

Quote from: AndrewA74 on July 10, 2009, 06:45:32 PMBut if I remember right, it's the airport who asked us to be out there.

You're probably getting space without a rent payment, posting a guard is a small price. Our unit gets a load of space without cost, but we do cleaning, maintenance, upkeep, etc in lieu of paying rent.

Quote from: AndrewA74 on July 10, 2009, 06:45:32 PMAnd besides, it's actually quite cool, I've met Dale Earnhardt Jr. twice. He flies out of our airport.

Nice benefit. Gotten any autographs yet?

Eclipse

There are standard duties and titles across 80-90+% of CAP units nationwide. 

Whenever you hear something "odd", especially from a new cadet, it is generally a misunderstanding of the concept on the part of either the cadet or the seniors he reports to.

In this case, I'd have to agree with DC - you've got something you need to do for the airport, but the unit is being somewhat dramatic about how you do it - their call, especially if you have enough cadets willing to play along.  It actually sounds like a nice way to see how well newer cadets can work with basic directives and assigned duties.

But, if you're going to spend time in internet forums, you'll need to learn the difference between "smarty-pants banter" and an "attack".

"That Others May Zoom"

heliodoc

^^^
Plenty O smarty pants on this website

Andrew, stick around and develop like all us guys and u too could become Wing,Group or NHQ Commander

Develop here my man, and come around like a stingin' whip for some of the folks here

Some need it >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

AndrewA74

OK, ok, I guess I shouldn't have been so quick to label that an attack. And no, no autographs, but I think I'll see him again soon, it isn't rare to see him there.
Andrew

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2009, 06:35:41 PM
Quote from: AndrewA74 on July 10, 2009, 06:29:45 PM
Sentry?

Where are you?  Bolivia?
Andrew

Are they guarding the airport from CAP, or CAP from the airport?  Is that all they do on a meeting night? 2-3 cadets standing guard?

My old squadron had a "Security NCO".  They meet at an ANG facility (single squadron-type thing, not manned 24/7), and the ANG guys wanted us to keep track of who was on the base during meetings.  The "Security NCO" would simply stand at the gate and check people off as the arrived, and as they left.

There was only one person with the title - no standard alternates or "Security Sergeants".  Not that big of a deal, really.