Presenting the Colors with 7 cadets

Started by xray328, October 01, 2015, 08:12:58 PM

xray328

I'm trying to find a way to present the colors at the Group Ball with seven cadets (one from each squadron in the group). I thought I'd use 4 cadets in the main detail from our squadron and then have one rep from each squadron with their squadron flags slightly behind them (so actually 11 total).  Maybe they are all in a line at parade rest (the squadron flags) and they snap to attention when the main detail marches out?  I'm thinking a practice would be tough with 7 squadrons, so training the main detail at the home unit would be easiest. Just looking for ideas without going outside protocol.  Does what I mentioned break any rules in that regard? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

kwe1009

You can do a color guard with as many people as you have flags for.  They would have to be side-by-side.  Of course that would require practice which as you said would not be easy to do.

Your idea could work  but only the actual color guard with the American flag would be marching out to present the colors.

abdsp51

CAPDCCMOM

Xray, while I have no great idea on how to pull it off, it sounds great. Make sure and post pictures!

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: abdsp51 on October 01, 2015, 08:36:49 PM
Keep it simple.

Yes, that.

You CAN do it with 7, but not as you described, which would be...odd. But, as mentioned, doing it right takes practice.

My question is - why do it? It's not common practice for units to take their colors everywhere and join a combined color guard. Usually, the colors of the host unit are used and nobody feels slighted by that. In fact, as a Group event, a solution could be to simply have your unit use the Group colors. If you do want to include the others, have them (including your colors) pre-posted off to the side. Post tge US and Group colors, you're done.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

TheSkyHornet

Having a similar thing going on with our squadron. Our C/CC wants to get an Honor Guard set up for a November event. I personally don't think he's going to have enough time or enough cadets to help out and learn.

I, unfortunately, had to say I don't have the time at this point in the year to invest any more of myself into this idea, and if he wants to go any further, he's going to need to step up and take responsibility himself and get it done. I'm concerned that he's going to let himself down with trying to take the next 30 days and a wakeup to prepare for something that isn't feasible, but he really wants to pursue it.

I'm not going to say no to this idea, but be prepared if you find that people get involved but don't commit themselves. It's very common with these specialty assignments, and it's personally something that I was never able to dedicate myself to back in the day. I've got enough on my plate as it is with cadet programs. Hopefully things are going smoother for you by now, Shaun.

kwe1009

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on October 02, 2015, 02:17:36 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on October 01, 2015, 08:36:49 PM
Keep it simple.

Yes, that.

You CAN do it with 7, but not as you described, which would be...odd. But, as mentioned, doing it right takes practice.

My question is - why do it? It's not common practice for units to take their colors everywhere and join a combined color guard. Usually, the colors of the host unit are used and nobody feels slighted by that. In fact, as a Group event, a solution could be to simply have your unit use the Group colors. If you do want to include the others, have them (including your colors) pre-posted off to the side. Post tge US and Group colors, you're done.

That is a smart way to do it. 

If the goal is to also have more cadets involved then have one group present the colors and another group retire them.  That is a very common practice.