Has anyone had any issues with giving presentations at schools?

Started by xray328, September 04, 2015, 03:31:20 AM

xray328

We have a large AFJROTC unit close by and I was hoping to give a quick presentation to their cadets for recruitment purposes. Has anyone had any issues with something like this? Are they general pretty accepting or is there something that might prevent us from doing something like this? Any advice?

PHall

You might have some trouble with the AFJROTC folks. Some would see you trying to recruit their members as poaching.
YMMV

Capt Thompson

Speak to the benefits of dual enrollment, our program offers things they don't, and likewise they have benefits we don't. Sell both programs as a complete package.

I used to do recruiting at a local Army JROTC twice a year. I would coordinate ahead of time, and they would give me an entire day where I could hang out and give a presentation to each class.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

jdh

Talk to the SASI about it first. I was an AFJROTC cadet when I joined CAP in 02, they asked some of us to come and teach the new cadets. After awhile we joined because we saw the benefit of CAP. I have a meeting with the local AFJROTC SASI tomorrow since I am setting up O-Flights for his cadets and I am going to see about getting his Color Guard team and Drill Team to come and help teach our cadets. And I have a few cadets that will be training for FLM while the JROTC cadets are flying. Its a way to get the two units talking and Im sure it will help recruitment in both directions.

Capt Thompson

That's another good point.....see if you can get your cadets involved in working with theirs, training each other, doing land nav, color guard/drill comp, etc. Once you are friends talk recruiting. If you come straight out with recruiting, they might see it as poaching, but if you just want to train together and compete together, they'll let you in, and you can talk about recruiting at a later date.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Eaker Guy

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on September 04, 2015, 01:53:52 PM
That's another good point.....see if you can get your cadets involved in working with theirs, training each other, doing land nav, color guard/drill comp, etc. Once you are friends talk recruiting. If you come straight out with recruiting, they might see it as poaching, but if you just want to train together and compete together, they'll let you in, and you can talk about recruiting at a later date.

+1

xray328

Paul_AK

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on September 04, 2015, 01:53:52 PM
This mindset needs to be applied more. There are so many great organizations out there with great attributes that I feel we would be better suited cooperating rather than viewing them as competition for recruits.

And good luck with the meeting, xray328, I'd be interested to hear the outcome.
Paul M. McBride
TSgt, 176 SFS, AKANG
1st Lt, AK CAP

Earhart #13376