Building the Team?

Started by Aviator, September 25, 2013, 06:01:50 PM

Aviator

Hi everyone! This is my first time on this site, so please forgive any blunders. :)

I'm the first element leader in a flight that is supposed to be the second best in the squadron. There are 8 cadets in the flight, most of which are Airmen, and the highest ranking (besides flight commander and flight sergeant, of course) being myself. Unfortunately several of the cadets seem to be forced to be there, with horrible attitudes, while two others just goof off and don't pay attention. Last night was our most recent meeting, and the flight commander was trying to teach the cadets columns. What with the goofoffs and bad attitudes, we barely made any headway at all. In fact, four cadets from the flight below us came in and showed us all up to the point of embarrassment.

When we were given a small break, I discussed with the flight that our performance wasn't good enough, and asked who wanted to be better than the other flight. I KNOW that is not the point of CAP, but I felt that we needed a tangible goal at the moment. Please don't flame. Anyway, 6 out of 8 hands went up. One of the cadets who didn't raise his hand smirked at me like I was an idiot and the other had a very bad attitude.

The flight commander is wonderful, but I don't think his teaching methods are strong enough. He's being nice, and the cadets aren't paying attention. He's given me permission to have the cadets arrive early next meeting so I can drill with them a little.

There are several cadets who are motivated and want to be better. I feel like we're not working as a team, but floating around by ourselves and accidentally butting heads.  So I'm planning on doing a couple of team-building exercises too - something that will help them bond and make them want to work together.

Does anyone have any tried and true methods to get the flight to work as a team? And as a side note, I'm a small, female Staff Sergeant. I don't get all that much respect - it's a bit hard to be intimidated by me. Any advice there?

Thank you!

Walkman

My first question: what age ranges are we talking about?

Aviator

13-14. The flight staff are older, though.

coudano

yep, here's a piece of advice.

intimidation is not equal to respect.
you don't need intimidation to do your job, and usually it's a crutch for people who aren't very effective using other leadership skills.

If you
a.  Handle your own business (take care of your own professionalism, and advancement) in other words, set the example
and
b.  Do your best to help those assigned to you succeed

You will earn their respect.
People with bad attitudes are a fact of life.  Haters gonna hate.
Do your best to help them succeed, and then move on.

I'd suggest coming up with a project (outside of the weekly meeting routine) for your element.  Some sort of mission to accomplish,
It needs to be easy enough that you can realistically accomplish it
but it needs to be difficult or complex enough that it requires all of you to get it done.
Do the project together, and then go out for fast food or pizza to hang out afterwards.

Working together, and succeeding, is likely to help morale, and probably start to build some esprit.

That morale and esprit then can start being reflected back at the squadron on Tuesday night.

Aviator

Thank you very much, coudano! I understand that intimidation doesn't equal respect, definitely, but these cadets just don't seem to understand the concept of respect. The only thing that seems to work is getting in their face (which I don't do at all - I let the flight staff do that) and even then they just laugh. But I do my best, and I have earned the respect of my superiors... in time, I sure it will rub off on the cadets as well.

That's a great idea! Thank you for your input!

Eclipse

Quote from: Aviator on September 25, 2013, 06:25:53 PM...getting in their face (which I don't do at all - I let the flight staff do that) and even then they just laugh.

Basically the first time this happens, "in your face" loses its meaning, whether you are a cadet leader or a parent.

These cadets know, or at least believe, that the "in your face" is a hollow threat, since there's not much that can actually be done to them, especially if they are being forced to attend to start with.

Sometimes kids need a push, and making them stick to a commitment is a good life lesson, but in the end,
members who don't want to be there just make it difficult for everyone else.  This is where strong, knowledgeable leaders
have to have frank discussions with parents.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Ah team building.

Okay...first rule of teams.  Everyone on the team needs to know what the goal/purpose/objective of the team is.

Don't assume that they all know why they area flight/element/squadron team member.

Second....you point out that "a lot of the airman"....ect and so forth.  Remember that Phase I is about learning to be a follower....they are not followers yet.  They have mastered that skill.......so it is up to you to teach them the importance of what you are doing, why you are doing it, and how you are going about doing it.

As an aside to the size of your flight.   8 members plus staff is pretty small.

On you and in respect to "I don't get much respect".   First define what you mean when you say "I don't get much respect".  From who?  How do you expect your subordinates, peers and supervisors to show you respect?

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Just wondering here - have you addressed this with the unit's senior members? I happen to know a couple of them, and they seem qualified to help with this situation.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Aviator

SarDragon - I'd like to be able to get it fixed on the cadet level, but if it gets out of hand I definitely will talk to the seniors about it.

lordmonar - Okay! I guess I assumed too much that they knew what I expected from them. On the subject of respect, all I'd like for now is common customs and courtesies, as well as actually listening to what I'm saying instead of going off and talking.

Eclipse - I agree. There's one lieutenant that the 'in your face' strategy works well for him, but I don't think it would work for me - ever. I'll try to talk to them.

Does anyone have questions to have the cadets answer/simple activities that will help them work as a team?

Peeka

Quote from: Aviator on September 25, 2013, 09:36:37 PM
Does anyone have questions to have the cadets answer/simple activities that will help them work as a team?
Like general knowledge questions? --> http://quizlet.com/3922725/cap-general-knowledge-flash-cards/

And team building activities? -->  http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=12585.0

coudano

QuoteThere's one lieutenant that the 'in your face' strategy works well for him, but I don't think it would work for me - ever. I'll try to talk to them.

Size doesn't matter.

It's a skill that you can learn and perfect.
It's just not one that you should use in most situations...
Save that nonsense for places like basic training.  That's not how we do business in the real world.

SarDragon

Quote from: Aviator on September 25, 2013, 09:36:37 PM
SarDragon - I'd like to be able to get it fixed on the cadet level, but if it gets out of hand I definitely will talk to the seniors about it.

Well, I was thinking more on the ask for advice level, like you're doing here, with folks who know all the participants, and not asking them to fix it directly.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Aviator

Peeka - That was exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

coudano - I agree. I only recently promoted, so I'm a bit of a newbie in that area and am not quite sure how to handle it yet.

SarDragon - Okay! I've enlisted the help of a higher ranking sergeant, so that's a start.

Thank you guys for helping me out :)

a2capt

Quote from: SarDragon on September 25, 2013, 10:44:44 PMWell, I was thinking more on the ask for advice level, like you're doing here, with folks who know all the participants, and not asking them to fix it directly.

I like resourceful cadets :)