Model Rocketry program goes High Power!

Started by Thrashed, August 17, 2011, 01:15:08 AM

Thrashed

Check out the photo link to our high power rocket we used for the Saturn stage of the rocket program.
https://picasaweb.google.com/PoconoWargaming/CAPRocketry?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Save the triangle thingy

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Thrashed

I think the settings wouldn't allow viewing. Try again.

Save the triangle thingy

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Works now.

They took away our bombs but we have missiles now  >:D :clap: 

jeders

I like the Pringles can one, but I'm thinking it wasn't very aerodynamic. How well did it work?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Thrashed

It flys great! We've flown it over a dozen times. I added some more pringles photos to the link above if you want to see the contruction of the rocket. It's basically an Alpha rocket in a can.

Save the triangle thingy

Major Lord

Awesome rocket! Do you know what altitude you achieved? And, since all threads of any type must eventually become Uniform threads, you might have a chat with the pictured female Cadet with tucked in pants and out of reg hair!......" This is unacceptable and does not meet the encampment standard!  Your uniform makes me physically ill!" (overheard at a CAWG encampment about a decade ago)

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Майор Хаткевич

Briski

Really?

Couldn't the uniform concerns have been sent via PM?

Thrash, based on the pics, it looks like everyone involved had an awesome time. This is exactly the kind of hands-on activity that keeps cadets engaged. It certainly helps them connect the dots on some of the more elusive scientific principles explained in the cadet aerospace texts, showing them how the theories in the textbook intersect with real life. :)

Thanks for sharing!
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...

Thrashed

The rocket went about 1,800'. I didnt put my altimeter in it so that is based Rocksim calculations.

Save the triangle thingy

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Thrash on August 20, 2011, 06:31:13 PM
The rocket went about 1,800'. I didnt put my altimeter in it so that is based Rocksim calculations.

That sounds like a lot of fun. How far did it drift?

Thrashed

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 20, 2011, 05:53:24 PM
Rocketry Badge on the right pocket? :P

Yes. CAPR 39-1 is our friend. Page 112 Table 6-4:

"Model Rocketry Patch
embroidered centered below the pocket
flap on the right breast
pocket of the BDU"

Save the triangle thingy

Thrashed

Quote from: Briski on August 20, 2011, 06:23:28 PM
Really?

Couldn't the uniform concerns have been sent via PM?

Thanks for sharing!

At work we call them uniform Nazis.  ;)

Save the triangle thingy

Thrashed

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 20, 2011, 06:34:55 PM
Quote from: Thrash on August 20, 2011, 06:31:13 PM

That sounds like a lot of fun. How far did it drift?

About 1/4 mile.
I didn't built it with dual deployment (drogue 'chute at apogee and main 'chute at 1000') like my bigger rockets.
Some of them seen here: https://picasaweb.google.com/PoconoWargaming/Rockets?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Save the triangle thingy

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Thrash on August 20, 2011, 07:43:38 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 20, 2011, 05:53:24 PM
Rocketry Badge on the right pocket? :P

Yes. CAPR 39-1 is our friend. Page 112 Table 6-4:

"Model Rocketry Patch
embroidered centered below the pocket
flap on the right breast
pocket of the BDU"

Quite aware of that, hence the :P . I was rolling with Major Lord's olde observation (as I did not see anyone with that reference in the pictures). The Rocketry patch is rare enough, that this comes up quite enough, due to being counter intuitive.

P.S. Any special clearances required for the large/high altitude rocket?

Major Lord

A cadet wearing a uniform  that's just a bit off, or out of grooming,  is no skin off my nose. ( SM's are just as bad or worse, and her uniform was not all bad!)  The AF wears tucked boots, who am I to complain? As long as we get to shoot stuff at high velocity into the sky! My only real criticism is the lack of eye protection when she is installing the igniter. That's a big motor, and they occasionally go "pipe bomb" on you when you least expect it.

You could do the rocket altitude measurement the old fashioned way: Stand back a fixed distance, and use a protractor to measure the angle at it maximum altitude, now you have the base and the angle, so all you need is your trusty slide ruleer, calculator to determine the altitude. We have been thinking about a barometric sensor to the balloon trackers we build, since altitude is the least reliable of the GPS coordinates.

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Major Lord

Thrashed

Yes, lots of clearances. The club takes care of all that. We have waivers to 12,000' and any flight over 5,000' we call air traffic control for a launch window. We have jet airliners coming into Newark, NJ passing over at 7,000-8,000'.  I'm not a high or fast guy; I prefer low and slow. I like to see them and get them back. I broke the sound barrier once, but never saw the rocket again. Besides altitude = money. It cost more to fly higher.

I normally use barometric altimeters to track altitude and other data, but don't always use them. I really don't care how high it goes anymore. Plus, I don't want to risk losing a $100 altimeter.

[/quote]

P.S. Any special clearances required for the large/high altitude rocket?
[/quote]

Save the triangle thingy