Treadmill in PT Test?

Started by titanII, April 06, 2011, 09:53:36 PM

titanII

Not that this would be feasible in a squadron environment, but t.his is just out of curiosity. Do you think that a treadmill could be used for the mile run on a PT Test? CAPP 52-18, on the Cadet Physical Fitness Program, says that a track is the preferred course for the event... not the necessary course. What do you think?

Quote from CAPP 52-18:
"An oval-shaped track is the preferred course for this event.
If a track is unavailable, a road course may be used if it is reasonably flat, has a wide shoulder, and
does not require cadets to make numerous turns down different streets"
No longer active on CAP talk

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: titanII on April 06, 2011, 09:53:36 PM
Not that this would be feasible in a squadron environment, but t.his is just out of curiosity. Do you think that a treadmill could be used for the mile run on a PT Test? CAPP 52-18, on the Cadet Physical Fitness Program, says that a track is the preferred course for the event... not the necessary course. What do you think?

Quote from CAPP 52-18:
If a track is unavailable, a road course may be used if it is reasonably flat, has a wide shoulder, and

Running on a road is different from running on a treadmill. You would likely get a better time on a treadmill. I would still prefer running on the road.

coudano

I don't think so.

I use a treadmill for training because I can crank the incline up and down.

elipod

Interesting question, as my brother is preparing for his Spaatz test using a treadmill, because there is still snow here in Pennsylvania.

To answer your questions, treadmill running and road running are not quite the same. Running on the treadmill is easier than running outdoors, for a variety of reasons. One reason is that the treadmill belt assists leg turnover, making it easier to run faster. So most runners find that their pace on the treadmill doesn't correlate to their road pace. Also, some of the soft tissue conditioning or "hardening" that occurs with road running does not occur with treadmill running because the plate or base on the treadmill "gives" more than road surfaces. And, obviously there are no weather conditions to deal with when running indoors.
"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else"

ol'fido

I would run all my miles on the surface I would have to use to run for the Spaatz whether you get that far or not. Train like you fight.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

MSG Mac

Quote from: titanII on April 06, 2011, 09:53:36 PM

Quote from CAPP 52-18:
The reason an oval track is preferred is that it's a precisely measured course and generally either 440 or 220 yards. The only alternative is a measured mile on a road with all the attendent problems (traffic, potholes, trash on the road, dogs trying to eat the runner, etc).
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

I can tell you that cap-usaf and NHQ say "no".

"That Others May Zoom"

titanII

Quote from: Eclipse on April 07, 2011, 12:21:37 PM
Hmm. Well. Very Good. As for training with the treadmill... the two most definitely aren't equal. But I don't see anything wrong with training on the treadmill, you just have to go above and beyond what time/distance you want on the track. I have only ever trained on the treadmill for my running. You just have to adjust for the difference.
No longer active on CAP talk

elipod

Quote from: titanII on April 07, 2011, 09:42:40 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 07, 2011, 12:21:37 PM
Hmm. Well. Very Good. As for training with the treadmill... the two most definitely aren't equal. But I don't see anything wrong with training on the treadmill, you just have to go above and beyond what time/distance you want on the track. I have only ever trained on the treadmill for my running. You just have to adjust for the difference.

OR... increase inclination to account for the hardships of running 'outdoors'
"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else"

LGM30GMCC

Just a note:

Track running does not necessarily mean outdoor running. We routinely use the indoor track because about about half the year or more we can't use the outdoor track.