Hooyah, Hooah, or Hoorah?

Started by titanII, February 16, 2011, 02:46:54 AM

Flying Pig

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 21, 2011, 09:02:52 PM
These alleged "War Cries" are fairly new. When I joined the USMC in 1968 there was no such thing. When I joined the Army Reserve there was also no Hooah, until I was activated in 1997, when I had to remind the active duty troops I never took money for my carnal pleasures and was not a whore. As for being a "War Cry" I have found in three wars that the enemy generally shoots at the person and/or things that stand out and make a lot of noise.

Huh....interesting.  I stood on the yellow footprints in 1993 and it was alive and well obviously.  I wonder when it started??  I was always led to believe (or chose to believe ;D) that is was a WWI thing.  I must research.

Take it for what its worth....

http://www.oo-rah.com/store/editorial/edi55.asp

ElectricPenguin

Here's one,

In WWI, a commander ordered their US troops to retreat, the troups said, "how? We just got here!"  So yell "retreat" and respond "how".

:P any one who saw the movie battle: la knows what I'm talking about.

tsrup

fyi, it wasn't "how" that they were saying...
Paramedic
hang-around.

Major Carrales

At Colonial Williamsburg the population yells the arcane  "hazzah" in agreement of colonial issues.  Perhaps this ancient yells is somehow its origin?

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Al Sayre

In Sicily, the natives make a similar sound kind of like "Booo-up" with a very soft "B" and many Americans stationed there have picked it up and shortened it to "Boop"  it comes with a shrug of the shoulders and means "I don't know" and/or "I don't care" ...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

AbnMedOps

Well, Way Back When I Was A Cadet, there was no such noise-making.

"Hooah" was not universally embraced by the Army when it (apparently) migrated from the Ranger community to the mainstream Army (quite possibly by way of becoming an embarassingly required and expected display of "motivation" at ROTC camps in the 1980's.

Certain career NCOs looked startled upon first hearing a platoon of cadets "hooah-ing" in response to every sentence out of an instructor's mouth, and then these long-suffering NCO's shook their heads sadly and started mumbling about "Time to retireme, if the Army is so stupid it must train future officers to grunt like idiots!"  However, the cadets kept grunting "Hooah!", ever louder and more frequently, because it was perceived that one's TAC officer took especial note of one's observance or disdain for the cult of "hooah", and might make some record in his little notebook.  Indeed, some even held the view that there were certain chuckleheaded cadets who rose to startling prominence in camp class standings based upon little more than "Hooah".

Today's Army embarrasses itself not so much excessive "hooahs" as with (get this!) little yips, caterwauls, and simulated dog barking from the ranks of troop formations! In Basic and AIT, no less! Also, there is some sort varient of "hooah" that sounds like a sort of yawn or vomiting by 200 voices in unison kind of a "uuuuuuuuurrrrpp!" You would not believe this until you actually hear it. Unbelievably assinine, but true.

manfredvonrichthofen

In the 506th it turned into a joke whenever it could. Hooah would turn to hoo to hu to hoop to hoolp to eventually becoming scoobs, I don't even know how it got to scoobs. Something that, yes is stupid, and unnecessary, but sadly, when something is shoved down your throat soooooo much it becomes ingrained into your whole life. I even catch myself answering my wife with a hooah, just the short quiet grunt, not the loud idiotic HOOOOAAAAHHH. Even my father and brother (we were all in the Army at the same time) are able to communicate with me using simple grunting noises. Still, not needed in the sense of making one or the other noise a standard. IF... and that's a big IF it is already ingrained in your brain, then just use whatcha got. Otherwise, use real words.

AbnMedOps

I hooah that, Manfred!

Actually, I embarassed myself once...I had recently come from a "hooah"-heavy environment, and found myself in a public place, speaking with a nice lady who had some questions about the military. I guess I slipped into "hooah" mode....until she very gently and politely inquired if I had a speech impediment or some sort of neurological damage! It kinda put "hooah" into perspective for me.. lol

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: AbnMedOps on March 23, 2011, 03:29:30 AM
I hooah that, Manfred!

Actually, I embarassed myself once...I had recently come from a "hooah"-heavy environment, and found myself in a public place, speaking with a nice lady who had some questions about the military. I guess I slipped into "hooah" mode....until she very gently and politely inquired if I had a speech impediment or some sort of neurological damage! It kinda put "hooah" into perspective for me.. lol

So which is it, speech impediment or neurological damage? For me it was a lobotomy by an Army Doc.

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: tsrup on March 22, 2011, 05:52:05 AM
fyi, it wasn't "how" that they were saying...

Then what was it then hmmmm?

tsrup

Paramedic
hang-around.

Skydude61

Why do we need one? We already scare the people who walk into the airport we march at, and I don't really thing shouting alot makes any mare sense. the point of a battle cry is BATTLE cry and trying to scare the enemy (i.e. karate's hiyaah!)......... maybe people are making too much out of it, Hmmmm?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

HGjunkie

Quote from: Skydude61 on May 19, 2011, 08:29:11 PM
Why do we need one? We already scare the people who walk into the airport we march at, and I don't really thing shouting alot makes any mare sense. the point of a battle cry is BATTLE cry and trying to scare the enemy (i.e. karate's hiyaah!)......... maybe people are making too much out of it, Hmmmm?

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

arBar

May I suggest, "Boom shaka laka boom"?

Love the above graphic :)

I have also noticed at State Guard meetings, when people from other places come visit, that some use the war cry like an Amen is used in some churches.  Equivelent to,"yeah, preach it, come on, yesssss," etc.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

sneakers

for the SEALs, therre is some speculation that "hooyah" came as a backward form of "yahoo".

HGjunkie

Quote from: pilot2b on June 05, 2011, 01:08:46 AM
for the SEALs, therre is some speculation that "hooyah" came as a backward form of "yahoo".

Yahoo....Oohay, Hayoo, Yooha, Yahoo. I'm lost.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

Whoya cares?

None of these is part of CAP's culture, and those that try to use it (usually cadets), just wind up sounding like posers.

"Yes, Sir", or "Yes" will work just fine.

"That Others May Zoom"