Uniform Change Discussion - ABU's, OCP's and other considerations

Started by Okayish Aviator, August 04, 2018, 08:16:51 PM

Stonewall

Quote from: Jester on August 10, 2018, 03:26:20 PMHere's how I'd do OCPs for CAP (and move the BBDU to a ACU-style in dark blue with matching layout like https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/28277303_2276907562535837_6623124939621139508_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=80a846fa3df35f87d2624efdf6a8cd9e&oe=5BFDB39E  ):

I'd be on board with that, except I'd go with a different color, like what I suggested on CAP Talk 11 years ago.

Quote from: Stonewall on October 01, 2017, 11:48:24 AM
Remember this idea from 2007? That was funny...

Serving since 1987.

Jester

Luis R. Ramos

I do not like it. Velcro does not match patches. Patches are not completely attached to the uniform, and do not lie squarely on it specially at the edges. Collar too narrow. Grade on the front and not on the shoulder where it has been traditionally in the case of officers, or on the arm in the case of other ranks. Slanted pockets.

But I guess I will be in the minority...

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SarDragon

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on August 11, 2018, 11:20:49 PM
I do not like it. Velcro does not match patches. Patches are not completely attached to the uniform, and do not lie squarely on it specially at the edges. Collar too narrow. Grade on the front and not on the shoulder where it has been traditionally in the case of officers, or on the arm in the case of other ranks. Slanted pockets.

It may not look tacti-kool, but it is functional. Some of us are skilled at the sewing necessary to achieve your desired look, but many are not, and do not have financial assets to have the pros do it. Take a look at the CAWG patch, and imagine sewing it onto Velcro pile, and then sewing a correspondingly shaped piece of loop onto the garment. BTDT; reluctant to repeat the experience.

Using heat seal Velcro on the patches alleviates that part of the problem, and rectangles on the garment allow exchanging patches if needed.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

A  long, very long time ago I used to cut and sew Velcro on a NY Wing patch so I could use the AF blue jacket and coat with my Blues and with my civies for work, etc. Did it by hand. So I know what ya mean. Now I am 63, and do not have the dexterity to thread a needle, nor the vision acuity to see the thread.

So now that I am retired I have to scrape money to get uniforms to tailors. No choice!

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Gunsotsu

Scaling of badges, etc. are slightly off. It's tough to know how something looks until it's actually worn, rendering don't do things justice. My input would be no US flag (we don't deploy overseas, so no reason to wear the "shoot me" patch), wing patch or equivalent on the left sleeve, organizational on the right, both velcro backed. Velcro backing optional for the rest. 

Stonewall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on August 11, 2018, 11:20:49 PM

That picture was taken with name tapes, GTM bsdge, and rank being set on top of the uniform. They were not sewn nor velcroed. Just like I do on my OCPs, I would sew everything on (except the sleeves).

Just think, if we did this in 2007 like I suggested, we wouldn't have had to switch to ABUs and we wouldn't be having this discussion about going to OCPs. This uniform could be timeless.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: Gunsotsu on August 12, 2018, 01:41:04 AM
My input would be no US flag (we don't deploy overseas, so no reason to wear the "shoot me" patch)...

I'm not a fan of the American flag either. At the time I did this, CAP had just started wearing reverse flags. Thankfully that was short lived.
Serving since 1987.

LATORRECA

So....

We do have several member in this forum which belongs to national. My question is if national has said anything internally about this uniform change for the AF? Has been any talks at the higher level about it at all?

Carlos

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: LATORRECA on August 12, 2018, 04:25:13 PM
So....

We do have several member in this forum which belongs to national. My question is if national has said anything internally about this uniform change for the AF? Has been any talks at the higher level about it at all?

Carlos

I'd imagine they are well aware and are working on it. It's going to be a supply and logistics nightmare if we wait too long.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

LATORRECA

Quote from: DocJekyll on August 12, 2018, 07:22:11 PM
Quote from: LATORRECA on August 12, 2018, 04:25:13 PM
So....

Carlos

I'd imagine they are well aware and are working on it. It's going to be a supply and logistics nightmare if we wait too long.
I just can't speculate. 

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Eclipse

Quote from: Gunsotsu on August 12, 2018, 01:41:04 AM

Scaling of badges, etc. are slightly off. It's tough to know how something looks until it's actually worn, rendering don't do things justice. My input would be no US flag (we don't deploy overseas, so no reason to wear the "shoot me" patch), wing patch or equivalent on the left sleeve, organizational on the right, both velcro backed. Velcro backing optional for the rest.

I'd do the tape on the pocket angles and lose the badges, or put everything on the velcro'ed pockets.
Tapes on the flaps, badges below.

Or better still, a leather namebadge on one of the pockets.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: DocJekyll on August 12, 2018, 07:22:11 PM
It's going to be a supply and logistics nightmare if we wait too long.

Nah, Indonesia has a lot of excess capacity.

"That Others May Zoom"

SCE124

It would seem the Air Force has designed smaller versions of the badges when two are worn together, Not a bad idea IMO as it cuts down on the clutter.  (https://i.redd.it/8kk36ce7gdhz.jpg)

Gunsotsu

That's just a flight suit badge in multicam without any lettering.

PHall

Quote from: SCE124 on August 13, 2018, 01:18:48 AM
It would seem the Air Force has designed smaller versions of the badges when two are worn together, Not a bad idea IMO as it cuts down on the clutter.  (https://i.redd.it/8kk36ce7gdhz.jpg)

Considering that the General is the Air Force Chief of Staff, it was probably custom made for him. Good to be the King and all that.

N6RVT

Quote from: Gunsotsu on August 13, 2018, 03:41:54 AMThat's just a flight suit badge in multicam without any lettering.

And my guess would be that the official USAF Multicam will come with a velcro patch above the branch tape that is just that size, and we would wear the same flight suit badge we currently use on this.

PHall

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on August 13, 2018, 06:57:26 PM
Quote from: Gunsotsu on August 13, 2018, 03:41:54 AMThat's just a flight suit badge in multicam without any lettering.

And my guess would be that the official USAF Multicam will come with a velcro patch above the branch tape that is just that size, and we would wear the same flight suit badge we currently use on this.

According to everything the Air Force has put out so far, we're going to be wearing the exact same uniform the Army wears.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on August 13, 2018, 06:57:26 PM

The current Air Force uniform does not include a "loop" patch above the nametape to accommodate a Velcro occupational badge, as the Army uniform does not include this.

Some people sewn on the loop patch so they can attached a hook-backed Velcro occupational/qualification badge that can be removed easily.

N6RVT

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 13, 2018, 08:09:42 PMThe current Air Force uniform does not include a "loop" patch above the nametape to accommodate a Velcro occupational badge, as the Army uniform does not include this. Some people sewn on the loop patch so they can attached a hook-backed Velcro occupational/qualification badge that can be removed easily.

The style of this uniform is so different it will require a whole set of new rules.  I'm not even going to guess.