What happens when Specialty Track pamphlets are changed?

Started by Capt Thompson, February 21, 2020, 04:38:45 AM

Capt Thompson

I've been searching through PD regs, the knowledgebase and also using the search feature here, and was unable to find an answer.

If you are working on a specialty track, and NHQ updates the pamphlet, do you finish the current level in the old pamphlet and the next in the new, switch immediately, or is there a grace period? Can someone point me to where in the regs this is spelled out?
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

catrulz

CAPR50-17 Chapter 4 doesn't say.  I also checked several specialty track pamphlets, including the new 40-40 from PD, and doesn't say. Based on the approval method of track requirement completion and mentor/commander approval, I would suspect this up to your commander.  If I was certifying you, I would probably compare the old with then new, and then decide what you needed to do from there, or if you are good to go.  I would try very hard not to penalize your hard work in getting to where you are, but at the same time ensure you have the required skill for the specialty and level.

kcebnaes

I have this issue with my CP specialty. I earned the senior rating before the major regulation changes in 2018. Basically, you will need to use the NEW pamphlet. However, if you contact the NHQ OPR, they may be able to waive certain things if need be.
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

Eclipse

^ This.  Pamphlets become effective and supersede their predecessor upon publication unless explicitly indicated.

New requirements must be met as indicated, which is why it's a good idea to stay up to date
and not sit on things you've already completed.

In some cases things actually get reduced (as in the latest ESO pamphlet that reduced TIS by almost 1/2 for master).

I'm not aware of any allowance for an OPR to relieve a requirement, however since completion is the subjective
call of the Unit CC, from a practical perspective if the Unit CC decides you've done it, you've done it.

"That Others May Zoom"

kcebnaes

Quote from: Eclipse on February 21, 2020, 02:47:21 PMI'm not aware of any allowance for an OPR to relieve a requirement, however since completion is the subjective
call of the Unit CC, from a practical perspective if the Unit CC decides you've done it, you've done it.

Honestly, the big thing was that I didn't have all of the staffing encampment hours needed under the new rules.  So I just asked if I needed to do ALL of the hours needed for the new Senior rating on top of what is required for Master, or just the hours needed for Master. So Curt LaFond and I worked out a workable solution for me.
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

Eclipse

Yeah 20 hours plus a second one for master.

At least its doable even for people who can only come a few days, etc.

Most planning staff knock that out the first month.

"That Others May Zoom"