Unit Website Initiative Launch Date announced!

Started by Eclipse, January 18, 2019, 07:19:47 PM

jeders

Quote from: etodd on February 07, 2019, 10:28:34 PM
Quote from: GZCP31 on February 07, 2019, 08:54:30 PM

The Websites will be www.SITENAME.cap.gov

Wow. So back to square one marketing wise, since our dotcom domain already has excellent Google and Bing placement.  As well as on much of our printed literature, out there in public hands. Ouch!

No replies to this post needed.  I'm just amused. We'll use both domains, will follow orders and enter info into this new template, and keep chugging along.

It appears that if you already have a domain name and website, you can use that name in the request. So if everyone already knows capsquadron123.com, then use that domain name when you apply for the new website.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on February 07, 2019, 10:48:03 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 07, 2019, 10:43:03 PM

Looking at my Wing, only about 1/2 the charters have a name related to a geographic location.

Yes. Most websites get started by computer geeks ... instead of advertising/marketing folks.  :(

The two should work more closely together.

?

What's that got to do with the unit name?  You don't name a unit based on a city
unless that city is doing something for you, or is small enough for only one unit.

Not going to really work in NY, LA, ORD, or any place else God intended people to live.
The dystopian hellscape of rural America?  Sure.

URLs are literally irrelevant.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Wow. So back to square one marketing wise, since our dotcom domain already has excellent Google and Bing placement.  As well as on much of our printed literature, out there in public hands. Ouch!

No replies to this post needed.  I'm just amused. We'll use both domains, will follow orders and enter info into this new template, and keep chugging along.
Simplest solution would be to do a quick redirect at the .com to redirect to your .gov, so someone visiting the .com (from search engine results) would get flipped to the .gov almost transparently.

etodd

Quote from: JeffDG on February 08, 2019, 01:51:20 AM
Simplest solution would be to do a quick redirect at the .com to redirect to your .gov, so someone visiting the .com (from search engine results) would get flipped to the .gov almost transparently.

Of course thats possible.  We would just have to keep the domain hosted, or could do it at registrar level possibly, if SiteViz will answer for the domain(?).

Will be awhile before I jump into it. Swamped with other projects at the moment.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on February 08, 2019, 12:01:48 AM

Not going to really work in NY, LA, ORD, or any place else God intended people to live.
The dystopian hellscape of rural America?  Sure.

C'mon man .... tell us how you REALLY feel :)

Fester

You can do a redirect from your squadron's current domain name to the new website in a manner that will allow you to maintain the current domain name and all of the search engine rankings and everything you've already built as far as marketing and SEO goes.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Fester

Quote from: Fester on February 08, 2019, 07:31:07 AM

You can do a redirect from your squadron's current domain name to the new website in a manner that will allow you to maintain the current domain name and all of the search engine rankings and everything you've already built as far as marketing and SEO goes.

More information on doing this.... https://moz.com/learn/seo/redirection
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

A.Member

Concur.  If someone doesn't already understand this, then they really have no business operating a website; this is 101-level stuff.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

etodd

Quote from: A.Member on February 09, 2019, 04:46:30 AM

Concur.  If someone doesn't already understand this, then they really have no business operating a website; this is 101-level stuff.

Talking 'bought me?  Been developing websites since 1995 and was redirecting that far back. LOL

The questions isn't how. The question is whether or not to do it?  We'll install the new dotgov website of course as our "official" website. The question is whether it'll do what we need it to in our marketing plans. If not, we can always use our existing domain/website for certain marketing uses. Keeping options open.

Fester

Quote from: etodd on February 09, 2019, 05:08:28 AM

Talking 'bought me?  Been developing websites since 1995 and was redirecting that far back. LOL

The questions isn't how. The question is whether or not to do it?  We'll install the new dotgov website of course as our "official" website. The question is whether it'll do what we need it to in our marketing plans. If not, we can always use our existing domain/website for certain marketing uses. Keeping options open.

My guess would be that the SPIRIT of the reasons behind this initiative is that the powers that be don't want "separate" websites anymore.  If I were you, I'd stick to the one "official" website.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

etodd

Quote from: Fester on February 09, 2019, 06:42:59 AM
Quote from: etodd on February 09, 2019, 05:08:28 AM

My guess would be that the SPIRIT of the reasons behind this initiative is that the powers that be don't want "separate" websites anymore.  If I were you, I'd stick to the one "official" website.

Yeah.  Well, I'm also waiting for the official template for the Insta pages, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, and all the other more popular modes of attracting today's youth. Do 13 year olds even Google for websites anymore? ;)

Fester

I'm just going based on your previous comments that you intend to keep your squadron's current website regardless of how the new initiative works out.  Which seems to be to be in contrast to the spirit of why the higher ups are putting the time and effort into the standardization of unit websites.  Of course, a unit website has absolutely nothing to do with a unit's FB, IG, Snap or Twitter presence.  And I can't tell you if 13 year olds even Google for websites anymore, I would assume some and some don't, but I'm betting that parents who have to approve those 13 year olds joining our organization do.

Just my humble opinion.  I've been here long enough to know that you'll do whatever you like.  :D
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Holding Pattern

Well I was hoping for a turnkey solution...

It seems I have just as much work to put into this as I will revamping the site I waited on, waiting for NHQ to get us a solution off the ground.

I'm not sure words can express my disappointment with this new system.

etodd

Quote from: Holding Pattern on February 11, 2019, 03:28:23 AM

It seems I have just as much work to put into this as I will revamping the site I waited on, waiting for NHQ to get us a solution off the ground.

Well you could keep it simple.  Put the minimal generic info in the template.

Then ... Put a H1 size link on the middle of the new website home page:

Click Here to See Our Facebook Page for Current Information

(C'mon guys .... you knew I couldn't resist.  >:D )

Holding Pattern

Quote from: etodd on February 11, 2019, 04:21:53 AM

If it wasn't full of broken fields, I'd do precisely that. Instead I get to waste time tearing out fields they didn't bother populating after I learn how their system works.

JeffDG

Quote from: etodd on February 11, 2019, 04:21:53 AM

Nah...just return a 301 status code to the FB page.   >:D

CAPTShaw

Has anyone been granted access to this new (to CAP) software? If so what is your website link to it?
Capt David Shaw, CAP SQ 606
Founder
Greene County Composite Squadron 606 (12JAN17)

Holding Pattern

Quote from: CAPTShaw on February 12, 2019, 11:02:21 AM
Has anyone been granted access to this new (to CAP) software? If so what is your website link to it?

You get a custom link as part of your onboarding.

etodd

We filled out the online request our url a few days ago. No clue as to how long before we hear back ...

NIN

A small update (doubtful this is OPSEC.. LOL)

Apparently 194 units have requested so far.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.