Senior Member Physical Fitness

Started by winterg, December 30, 2015, 12:20:17 PM

stitchmom

Perhaps mention TOPS in a newsletter? It's $32 to join and $5 per month in chapter dues. They encourage tracking, portion control, and small challenges like no cookies that week. The pledge is silly but for people who do well with a weekly weigh-in and someone saying Good Job it's a reasonably priced support group.

Chappie

Quote from: FW on January 16, 2016, 02:15:22 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on January 04, 2016, 12:48:17 AM
Quote from: winterg on January 04, 2016, 12:20:51 AM
Almost 1,700 views on this thread in 3 days tells me that there may be more members interested in this topic than you think.
People stop and look at car accidents.....does not mean they want to be in one.  :)
. <SNIP>  And can you give me information on the "CAP Fitness Walk"?  I've never heard of this program/event.  Google didn't turn up anything for a specific event with this name. <SNIP>

Google: fun walk CAP Conference and you will find a schedule of the 2015 National Conference.  Included is this item:

Saturday, August 29
Function Time Room
Fun Walk/5 K Fun Run 6:30 am Meet at Reg Desk

I have participated as a walker in every one since 2009 (except for 2013 when I didn't go and 2015 when I was under the weather -  sinuses were calling me in Orlando).  As you see there are two groups -- those that walk and those who run - that follow a set course that begins and ends at the hotel.   It's a great way to see the local surroundings...those who are walking have great conversations with fellow walkers.  There are beverages at the conclusion and participants get a button :)

Fixed quote tags -Pace
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

LSThiker

Quote from: Chappie on February 23, 2016, 12:09:25 AM
Google: fun walk CAP Conference and you will find a schedule of the 2015 National Conference.  Included is this item:

Saturday, August 29
Function Time Room
Fun Walk/5 K Fun Run 6:30 am Meet at Reg Desk

I have participated as a walker in every one since 2009 (except for 2013 when I didn't go and 2015 when I was under the weather -  sinuses were calling me in Orlando).  As you see there are two groups -- those that walk and those who run - that follow a set course that begins and ends at the hotel.   It's a great way to see the local surroundings...those who are walking have great conversations with fellow walkers.  There are beverages at the conclusion and participants get a button :)

I have participated in those in the past.  However, they usually go unadvertised and participation by SMs is extremely limited.  I think the last one I attended had about 8 people.  Half of which were former military.

DesertRat

SO. I just signed up for the President's Challenge: Presidential Champions program. Who is in with me?

THRAWN

Quote from: DesertRat on February 23, 2016, 09:17:31 PM
SO. I just signed up for the President's Challenge: Presidential Champions program. Who is in with me?

(In my best Homer voice)...I dunno...seems like a lot of work.....

Actually, it sounds like a good idea. I'm sure there are a few of us here that could do with some time away from the pizza and Xbox and get some exercise time in. We could make it a friendly competition. And make fun of the person that comes in last....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Ned

Quote from: DesertRat on February 23, 2016, 09:17:31 PM
\
We actually had a "CT Challenge" group in 2008 or so .  I may be the last surviving member.  Just be sure you choose carefully when selecting between the adult challenges.  It makes a difference, and is difficult or impossible to change later.

Ned Lee
Presidential Platinum Award Winner

William K. Bolan

So, should those seniors who dont have med. conditions be required to keep themselves in good physical condition? I mean it would be an excellent representation of CAP, what we REALLY stand for. Not only looks good for CAP, but good for their/our own personal health.

lordmonar

What we really stand for?   

That we look good?

I thought we were doing missions for America. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Storm Chaser

Being fit is not a bad thing, especially those working in Emergency Services.

Pace

When CAP starts hiring employees instead of recruiting volunteers, I think the organization will be poised to require adult members to be in a particular physical state. Until then, many units are lucky to get the adult volunteers they currently have.
Lt Col, CAP

CAPDCCMOM

More exercise and less pizza is always a good thing, we all know that. However, we must keep in mind that we are all volunteers. When we start putting on more "requirements" rather than "encouragements", we could lose even more of our members than we are already. As I recall, NHQ put a priority on retention. Telling anyone you can't be here if you aren't as fit as you could be will not retain members.

It also will depend on your role. If you are on Ground Teams, yes you must have a certain level of fitness. But some other very valuable places in the Emergency Services area may not need as high of a level of fitness. Should we encourage, ABSOLUTELY!! Can we force a volunteer, NO.

"You lead by example, not by Force" Sun Tzu's Art of War

THRAWN

Quote from: Pace on February 26, 2016, 06:59:00 PM
When CAP starts hiring employees instead of recruiting volunteers, I think the organization will be poised to require adult members to be in a particular physical state. Until then, many units are lucky to get the adult volunteers they currently have.

I don't know about that. There are plenty of volunteer organizations that require a level of physical fitness. I've said it before, if you want to organize voluntary physical fitness activities for SMs, have a ball. I don't see the need for mandatory all hands group PT.

That being said, anybody interested in the Presidential program? DesertRat got me all aflutter about it and then stopped posting...we could motivate eachother, laugh at eachother and have some fun with it. PM me if you're in...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

CAPDCCMOM

^^^^If this a legitimate opportunity for laughing at each other, SIGN ME UP!!!! Just as soon as I finish this Krispy Kreme >:D

William K. Bolan

something as simple as walking at least. Im not talking vigorous exercise. We can do our missions better if we are in good shape. Im not talking hard core abs or big muscles, at minimal be healthy.

We do missions for america. whoever put that in a post. NOT mandatory, but you know, as something they can choose to do. disregard me saying making it a req'd