Earning the Ranger tab outside of Hawk

Started by xray328, August 03, 2018, 05:17:09 PM

xray328

Can a cadet earn the ranger tab outside of going to Hawk? Who can certify that training and is it documented somewhere?  What's required above GTM3 for Ranger 3rd class?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jester

Yes. Go to the HMRS page and look for Stan-Eval. There are testing sheets for each Ranger proficiency grade and contact info to get you specific answers.

xray328

What are the two required "sanctioned ranger program activities"?

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/056b63_6fd6bb9ad41d454db230c8b169daceb0.pdf

darkmatter

xray328

So you can't earn the tab without attending one of their courses then?

Jester

Ranger-sanctioned activities basically need some approval by Stan-Eval. KYWG runs an in-state Ranger training program that awards Ranger 3rd Class. I'd start with them for more info.

GroundHawg

Quote from: Jester on August 04, 2018, 04:16:01 PM
Ranger-sanctioned activities basically need some approval by Stan-Eval. KYWG runs an in-state Ranger training program that awards Ranger 3rd Class. I'd start with them for more info.

Many wings run a sanctioned Ranger training program, email staneval@capranger.org to see if anyone around you can and will be willing to set up a class.
I have gotten many to summer school with their R3 so they could come back R2 or Field Medic their first year. Good luck!

sarmed1

Quote from: darkmatter on August 04, 2018, 12:27:24 PM
The summer and winter ranger courses

In Pennsylvania any of the HMRS activities lised on their calander count as sanctioned Ranger activities.  Most Wing oraganized activites outside of PA as "Ranger" trainnig count (though those I would verify with the HMRS stan/eval address before "counting it")

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

DakRadz

Quote from: GroundHawg on August 08, 2018, 01:42:58 PM
Quote from: Jester on August 04, 2018, 04:16:01 PM

Many wings run a sanctioned Ranger training program, email staneval@capranger.org to see if anyone around you can and will be willing to set up a class.
I have gotten many to summer school with their R3 so they could come back R2 or Field Medic their first year. Good luck!
Now that would be nice. And KYWG is adjacent... Hmmmm.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Spam

Quote from: sarmed1 on August 21, 2018, 01:58:23 PM

In Pennsylvania any of the HMRS activities lised on their calander count as sanctioned Ranger activities.  Most Wing oraganized activites outside of PA as "Ranger" trainnig count (though those I would verify with the HMRS stan/eval address before "counting it")

MK

So, our recent summer Encampment ran a week long (separate) advanced field medic course, Certified instructor, full purchase of training package, etc... Aside from the obvious benefit to the individuals, their units, and their communities (*ahem, foot stomp for PTC Sqdn.) should I brace myself now for a flood of requests to authorize tabs and rockers and other uniform stuff (which we don't recognize)?

V/r
Spam

PHall

Quote from: Spam on September 05, 2018, 09:32:13 PM

MK

So, our recent summer Encampment ran a week long (separate) advanced field medic course, Certified instructor, full purchase of training package, etc... Aside from the obvious benefit to the individuals, their units, and their communities (*ahem, foot stomp for PTC Sqdn.) should I brace myself now for a flood of requests to authorize tabs and rockers and other uniform stuff (which we don't recognize)?

V/r
Spam

So what kind of certification did the graduates receive? And I'm not talking just CAP either.

Spam

Quote from: PHall on September 05, 2018, 11:11:05 PM
Quote from: Spam on September 05, 2018, 09:32:13 PM

MK

V/r
Spam

So what kind of certification did the graduates receive? And I'm not talking just CAP either.

It was a CPR/BBP refresh coupled with WFA, same standards/texts as ALWG Wing ES School and NESA.

"Certification" is irrelevant, really, for anything beyond the training required for GTM3 self aid (since there is no such position as "Field Medic"). This really is an NCSA uniform thread, hence my question about the potential for this NCSA to start granting credit for outside work.

V/r
Spam

sarmed1

Sorry I totally missed the question you posted in that.  Flood?  I assume not.  HMRS's program max's out at 25 students, and that's mostly about available time and student to instructor ratios; so I don't see a "flood".  You will always get a couple that try and argue separate pieces to produce a "workaround".  The "medic" rating from HRMS is only awarded for course/program completion which includes multiple elements of both a base certification and additional SAR relevancy; including an end of course written and practical examination.  There closest to and 'equivalency" program is a Bridge program they occasionally run.  This takes members that hold and existing pro level certification (EMT, Paramedic, RN, MD etc) and teaches them the basic SAR and Wilderness content then they participate in a practical field exercise supporting a weekend activity as monitored candidates followed up with the and same EOC testing requirements for the full course to award the HMRS Medic Rating. There is no other way currently to receive the Field Medic Award than those 2 options (Full week course or bridge program)
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

jb3

I know they run a course at Fort Benning, GA that awards graduates a Ranger tab. That's where I earned mine at least. Kind of an easy course though, you might want to stick with HMRS if you want quality training.

raivo

Quote from: jb3 on March 16, 2019, 12:06:30 PM
I know they run a course at Fort Benning, GA that awards graduates a Ranger tab. That's where I earned mine at least. Kind of an easy course though, you might want to stick with HMRS if you want quality training.

I see what you did there...

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

N6RVT

So if you go to Hawk in the winter can you sew the tab on with white thread?

BHeck73

Quote from: raivo on March 16, 2019, 08:36:37 PM

I see what you did there...

I love what he did there :P.....