Main Menu

Encampment stories

Started by Kal, March 28, 2008, 12:24:31 AM

Eclipse

Based on the comments this was probably a hairline fracture - the kind of thing that might even go undiagnosed
absent the right angle of the X-ray.  It's the subsequent injury that could have been a real problem - horsing
around in the barracks, trip over a broom, fall out of bed, whatever.

Then the questions start being asked about "Tuesday" and why the cadet was still there.

"That Others May Zoom"

LTCinSWR

Quote from: Eclipse on January 22, 2015, 12:28:10 AM
To punctuate the tale, their "diagnoses" was >wrong<, probably because they didn't have the appropriate equipment.
I don't know how old AFbrat is, but anyone with adolescent or pre-teen children knows how serious "minor"
injuries can be because of growth plates and related developmental problems.  BTDT.

I haven't seen an encampment with an X-Ray machine, nor are there any reports of a guy in tights and red cape flying by. If there is reduced motion, splint / sling and swath as appropriate and off to the ER they go!
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters

lordmonar

The applicable regulation is CAPR  160-1

Quote1-6. Medical Care Policy.
a. CAP is not a health care provider, and CAP members are not permitted to act in the role of health care providers during the performance of official CAP duties. Consequently, CAP members are not permitted to function as pharmacists, physicians, nurses, or in any other role that would permit the administration and dispensing of drugs under various federal and state laws and regulations.
b. Medical care within CAP is limited to emergency first aid and may be provided only by members with appropriate training and experience. Such care shall continue only until professional medical care can be obtained.
c. Any member can assist another member in distress in order to save the life of the member. Members are encouraged to inform activity leadership, health service officers, those in direct contact with the member of their condition, and critical information for support that may be needed. Should any CAP member be required by law to render aid by virtue of his or her professional credential or state license (such as a paramedic or emergency medical technician, for example), such CAP member in complying with his or her legal obligations shall be deemed to be doing so either as the agent of his or her employer or as an agent of the state agency that issued his or her license, but in no event as the agent of CAP.
d. CAP members providing emergency first aid will inform first responders, like emergency medical services, what they have done so that further care is not hindered. All occurrences must be documented in accordance with CAPR 62-2, Mishap Reporting and Review.]/quote]

While this reg and other differ in some of their language.....and while I did not see the events nor have all the information.   What was posted here gives the impression that 160-1 could have been violated.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Afbrat52

It is very rare for a fractured clavicle to not be displaced. I had an excellent range of motion, which is also very uncommon for a fractured clavicle. I believe that the medical staff acted correctly in icing it and putting it in a sling for a few days.

PHall

Quote from: Afbrat52 on January 22, 2015, 01:40:51 AM
It is very rare for a fractured clavicle to not be displaced. I had an excellent range of motion, which is also very uncommon for a fractured clavicle. I believe that the medical staff acted correctly in icing it and putting it in a sling for a few days.

No they didn't. They exceeded their authority. The rule today is if there is any doubt, it's off to Urgant Care/ER where the Doctors can make the call.

RogueLeader

2014 Wyoming Wing Encampment at Camp Guernsey.  A nice cool morning, with my legs flying barely 50' off the ground, moving around the canyons.  The Blackhawk ride was the best part, other than seeing the growth in the Cadets.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

LSThiker

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 23, 2015, 04:29:46 AM
2014 Wyoming Wing Encampment at Camp Guernsey.  A nice cool morning, with my legs flying barely 50' off the ground, moving around the canyons.  The Blackhawk ride was the best part, other than seeing the growth in the Cadets.

Oh Camp Guernsey.  My company started a wildfire there some years back.  Apparently, the range operations officer forgot to mention how dry the land was before we started a live fire convoy operation.  Apparently our 249s with tracers started the brush fire.  Some unfortunate engineer company and aviation company got the pleasure of putting it out for us after it got out of hand.  It was fun to watch the MEDEVACs carrying water buckets. 

go4spaatz

2013 OHWG Encapment. They cancelled the NCOS last-minute and I went back as a basic anyway. 2nd Day got pulled to replace Alpha Flt's Flight Sergeant. Last year of gender-specific flights, and Alpha was female. Apparently no one told my flight my first name, so every evening when they were preparing the squad bay for inspection, I sat on the floor and shined my boots/shoes while they guessed my name. They finally found out after graduation.

2013 was at Camp Ravenna, with long squad bays, and a cadet hurt himself (possibly broke his leg) falling out of the top bunk in the morning (no guardrails). Not funny then, but now it elicits a chuckle.
C/Capt Anand, CAP
OHWG CAC Vice-Chair

"There are an estimated ∞² threads about ABUs on CAPTalk"

CadetSnuffy

Quote from: go4spaatz on January 23, 2015, 06:37:29 PM
2013 was at Camp Ravenna, with long squad bays, and a cadet hurt himself (possibly broke his leg) falling out of the top bunk in the morning (no guardrails). Not funny then, but now it elicits a chuckle.
That's a big reason why KSWG encampment doesn't let cadets bunk on the top bunk.
There are two types of countries, those that use the metric system, then that one that has been to the moon.

go4spaatz

Quote from: CadetSnuffy on February 05, 2015, 02:54:11 PM
That's a big reason why KSWG encampment doesn't let cadets bunk on the top bunk.

We had tons of problems with no place to hang uniforms, we had to buy ~130 plastic totes because there were no footlockers or anything...OHWG has stuck with Wright Patterson AFB ever since.
C/Capt Anand, CAP
OHWG CAC Vice-Chair

"There are an estimated ∞² threads about ABUs on CAPTalk"

Afbrat52

The Texas Wing Winter Encampment had footlockers, but almost none of them had poles in them... Rope works wonders. Thankfully, our locker spacing wasn't counted when we didn't have a pole.

PA Guy

Quote from: Afbrat52 on February 06, 2015, 08:44:08 PM
The Texas Wing Winter Encampment had footlockers, but almost none of them had poles in them... Rope works wonders. Thankfully, our locker spacing wasn't counted when we didn't have a pole.

Don't confuse footlockers with wall lockers. Big difference.

Afbrat52

Sergeant_Setsuda

In my NCOS year at MIWG encampment, there was this cadet who every time they saw a staff member greeted them. In fact they greeted too much...enough that the lieutenants in charge of NCOS started to greet that airman as it became a race to greet each other. By the second to last day one of the lieutenants made a rule to prevent her from using further customs and courtesies. That cadet also fell out of her bunk at least 15 times.

C/CMSgt Allen

We were running the mile one morning and the guy in front of me decided he was going to puke and continue running while puking. Let's just say my clothes smelled like puke the rest of encampment.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: C/MSgt Allen on September 28, 2015, 07:48:18 PM
We were running the mile one morning and the guy in front of me decided he was going to puke and continue running while puking. Let's just say my clothes smelled like puke the rest of encampment.

Ah, yes, running and puking. That feeling you get after like "Ah, finally....power burst!"

Once watched a girl throw up running a two-mile and a dozen other people step in it as they ran. In the end, hey, at least you didn't quit, and, literally, kept chugging along...upchugging at that.  :P

Any chance you know what squadron the person was from?

SarDragon

Quote from: C/MSgt Allen on September 28, 2015, 07:48:18 PM
The trick here is to use visual clues, and stay out of his "wake" to avoid contamination.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

It's just common courtesy to pull off to the right if you plan on hurling without stopping.
Just sayin'. >:D

Spam

,,, into oncoming traffic?  Why, the blood splash would be bigger than the puke splash!

Cheers,
Spam

LSThiker

Quote from: Spam on September 30, 2015, 03:35:09 AM
,,, into oncoming traffic?  Why, the blood splash would be bigger than the puke splash!

Formation runs are conducted on the right side of the road.  So there should be no oncoming traffic to the right of the formation.