Rack Builder Updated

Started by baronet68, November 22, 2018, 08:51:28 AM

baronet68

It's been long overdue, but I finally put some effort into updating some details on my rack builder site:

http://www.mcchord.org/rack_builder/

Please feel free to test/break it and let me know what you like or dislike.

I know there is a pop-up window that occasionally makes an appearance (related to my page counter code) so getting an updated counter is on the to-do list.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

jb3

Great work. I appreciate your dedication to keep this resource current.

Eclipse

This has always been the best!

"That Others May Zoom"

foo

Excellent resource. Thank you!

Shawn W.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

This is by far one of the better CAP rack builders that I've seen.

Cheers!

SarDragon

Quote from: Shawn W. on November 24, 2018, 12:39:46 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

This is by far one of the better best CAP rack builders that I've seen.

Cheers!

FTFY. Show us a better one!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

Thank you for updating, I've used this for a decade at least. Right?

Observation: on the leadership ribbon, when you have a silver star and bronze star clasp, why is the bronze star abnormally larger than the others?  Or is it that the silver star is abnormally small? I've wanted to ask this for years, but didn't want to be THAT guy (see my rack below).
Serving since 1987.

dwb

Thanks, Michael! I've been waiting for that AFOEA ribbon to make an appearance.  :)

baronet68

Quote from: Stonewall on November 24, 2018, 12:18:26 PM
Thank you for updating, I've used this for a decade at least. Right?

Longer than that... it's been online for almost 15 years, now.

Quote from: Stonewall on November 24, 2018, 12:18:26 PM
Observation: on the leadership ribbon, when you have a silver star and bronze star clasp, why is the bronze star abnormally larger than the others?  Or is it that the silver star is abnormally small?

It's an optical illusion... you can see below that pixel-by-pixel the stars are exactly the same size but the black outline around the silver star seems to create a more contrast than the border on the bronze star, tricking the eye to see the silver star as smaller. 

I'll play a little with the graphics and see if maybe I can do something differently. On the back-end, there are more than 450 individual images that make up the rack builder so even a small change can be real labor of love.

OldGuy

One of the best resources here - used regularly and often - thank you!

Holding Pattern

Quote from: baronet68 on November 22, 2018, 08:51:28 AM
It's been long overdue, but I finally put some effort into updating some details on my rack builder site:

http://www.mcchord.org/rack_builder/

Please feel free to test/break it and let me know what you like or dislike.

I know there is a pop-up window that occasionally makes an appearance (related to my page counter code) so getting an updated counter is on the to-do list.

Thank you for taking note of the pop-up. Keep in mind it serves up malware. I reported it to WAWG IT informally at the beginning of the year, and formally on April 18 2018. I'd strongly suggest just throwing google analytics at it and retiring the counter, but definitely retire that counter ASAP.

Phoenix114

Thank you for taking your time to update. Messing around with it, I've come across the following.

1. On some of your device updates it breaks after you use them. I was messing with the NCC Ribbon (Green one) after putting 4 silver stars it breaks and places a "unspecified error page. Likewise with IACE, Robb Wilson, and Find as a combination.

2. In reference to the Color guard competition ribbon. 
CAPP 39-3
Quotec. National Color Guard Competition Ribbon.----Awarded for participation in the National Color Guard Competition. Senior Members who earned this ribbon as a cadet may continue to wear the ribbon.(1) The basic ribbon will be worn by cadets who are the winner of the wing competition and/or cadets selected to represent the wing at a region competition. A bronze star will be affixed for the winners of the region competition, and a silver star will be worn by the sweepstakes winner of the national competition. Repetitive awards may be recognized by wearing additional stars in the appropriate competition level.
[/i]

There is no specification or drop down to demonstrate/show those who have won multiple Wing/Region Competitions. The regulation mentions that Clasps are to be used to denote multiple awards. Yet, it doesn't specify on 39-3. In other words, multiple winners of wing may not be able to show how many they have won or participated in. Example, A cadet who has won two wing competitions and one Region competition, would have a bronze star, but cannot demonstrate they have been won or been to two WING competitions.

Would they wear a Bronze Clasp on the right of the star? (Similar to the Commander's commendation ribbon who use a similar format for stars and clasps?)

Again, thank you to you and any others who devised this powerful tool for all of us here in CAP.

baronet68

Quote from: Phoenix114 on November 25, 2018, 05:33:28 AM
Thank you for taking your time to update. Messing around with it, I've come across the following.

1. On some of your device updates it breaks after you use them. I was messing with the NCC Ribbon (Green one) after putting 4 silver stars it breaks and places a "unspecified error page. Likewise with IACE, Robb Wilson, and Find as a combination.

Occasionally, when several people are using the page at the same time, the script locks up.  Using the browser's back arrow and resubmitting the form will usually show the images.  I was also hacking the tool this evening, adding some display options for miniature medals, and it's possible the page was momentarily off-line as I uploaded changes.

Quote from: Phoenix114 on November 25, 2018, 05:33:28 AM
2. In reference to the Color guard competition ribbon. 
[snip]
Would they wear a Bronze Clasp on the right of the star? (Similar to the Commander's commendation ribbon who use a similar format for stars and clasps?)

CAPR 39-3 has very specific instructions for the placement of authorized attachments for each activity/participation ribbon and I've done my best to match those instructions exactly. 

One example of possible omission (which proves unpopular with some members) is the IACE ribbon.  CAPR 39-3 simply states is awarded for participation but has no provision for repeated participation. 

The instructions for the Cadet Competition and Color Guard Competition ribbons seem to indicate that repetitive winners at the Wing level would simply wear the basic ribbon and that the only way to gain any attachments is to win the competition at either the Region or National levels.

Phoenix114

Baronet68, thank you so much for the speedy response.  :)

Shuman 14

I know it's fast approaching obsolesces, but isn't the Wartime Service Medal/Ribbon still an authorized ribbon the CAP Uniform?

With that being said, there were also CAP members awarded Air Medals during WWII too, just wondering if these two awards were intentional left off the Rackbuilder or an oversight?
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Eclipse

Nine members received the air medal, most are likely deceased, and I would hazard none of them are updating their
racks on a regular enough basis to need an online rack builder.

Same goes for the WTSM, considering that the youngest recipients would be ~92.

Edit: Pretty impressive, though, that there per the National WWII Museum, there are still ~310,000 US WWII vets still alive.
A hearty breed, for sure.

In 2016, the museum estimated that we lose ~372 WWII vets per day.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

From a CAP historical archive:

Air Medal

The Air Medal has been presented in two actions to members of the Civil Air Patrol. In the first action, Captain Hugh R. Sharp, Jr. and Lieutenant Edmond I. Edwards where awarded the first Air Medals for their heroic actions in the challenging rescue and saving a life of a fellow pilot Lieutenant Henry T. Cross (Learn More). The presentation of the Air Medal was conducted by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

In a second action, a total of 824 Air Medals were awarded by Executive Order of the President for service in the Coastal Patrol. The airmen who served the Civil Air Patrol during the Coastal Patrol operation and having flown an excess of 300 hours were each awarded the Air Medal with a citation signed, as ordered, by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Captain Hugh R. Sharp, Jr. and Lieutenant I. Edwards by this order received their second Air Medal which is denoted by a cluster on the medal or ribbon. Captain Sharp and Lieutenant Edwards are the only two members to receive the Air Medal twice.

The following list has been complied from the works of the 1984 Civil Air Patrol Historical Committee as published in Civil Air Patrol Historical Monograph No. 2: Air Medals and General Order No. 12, 14 April 1948 through General Order No. 17, 21 April 1948 from the Department of the Air Force.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Shuman 14

Major Bowles,

Good stuff, thanks for posting.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

baronet68

Quote from: shuman14 on November 25, 2018, 10:21:34 PM
I know it's fast approaching obsolesces, but isn't the Wartime Service Medal/Ribbon still an authorized ribbon the CAP Uniform?

With that being said, there were also CAP members awarded Air Medals during WWII too, just wondering if these two awards were intentional left off the Rackbuilder or an oversight?

In almost 15 years, nobody has ever asked for the Wartime Service Ribbon.  I've toyed with the idea of adding the Air Medal but figured it would just be an academic exercise... then again, I'm not against doing things "just because". 

baronet68

By popular demand...

I've added awards to cover our wartime-era members.  8)