nurse officer tech rating

Started by 8416w, July 16, 2014, 12:53:50 PM

8416w

I am a new nurse officer (RN-BSN), and I need assistance in finding information about how to achieve my tech rating for level 2.

Thank you

arajca

LSThiker

There is no Health Services specialty pamphlet.  Years back, NHQ stated that the award of the rating in health services was up to the commander and generally followed a 6 months, 1 year, 18 months timeframe.  However, that guidance has been removed and replaced with the "we are working on a specialty track".  Do not hold your breath though.  The recommendation to create a specialty track was made in 2004.  In 2011, the committee "approved the specialty track", but in April 2011, it was reported the track was under revisions.  No reports on the progress have been since that I am aware of.  Quite frankly, I do not see the current Chief Medical Officer or even the last few seeing it as a priority. 

For health services officers, you are not required to complete the Senior Member professional development tracks for promotion.  It is strongly recommended, but not required.  If you want to complete the tracks, it is recommended to follow it in another specialty (CP, safety, admin, etc) as well. 

Ultimately, it is up to your commander and wing commander regarding the guidance. 

8416w

Thank you for the information.  For clarification, I will not be able to receive a "nurse officer" tech rating that will count towards my level2? I have been approved to hold the HSO nurse officer position by the commander.

LSThiker

Quote from: 8416w on July 16, 2014, 01:33:40 PM
Thank you for the information.  For clarification, I will not be able to receive a "nurse officer" tech rating that will count towards my level2? I have been approved to hold the HSO nurse officer position by the commander.

Generally speaking, that is correct.  It is best to clarify this with your unit commander, the wing health services officer, and ultimately the wing commander.

catrulz

Interestingly, EServices will allow a commander to apply Tech, Senior and Master ratings to this specialty track.  But as indicated above there is no criteria for assignment, nor is it requitred for promotion.

CAPR 35-3 5-4a.(1) Professional Promotions:  Health service personnel are exempt from senior member professional development after Level I.

However, CAPR 50-17 4-2. Specialty Track Training. Except for professionals in law or medicine who join specifically to perform these functions, members select specialty tracks based on their personal interests and the unit's need, as determined by the unit commander.

In my experience most CAP SM's hold multiple functions in the unit.  If you are performing the job, you should be assigned in the Duty Assignment and Specialty Track area in E-services.  If your intent is to be HSO only, then L2-5 is not applicable.

LSThiker

Correct.  Commanders should assign their HSOs within the 220 Specialty Track.  This "allows" NHQ to recognize that the person is an HSO and thus allow the exemption in PD for finalizing promotions.

Commanders were "allowed" to assign Tech, Senior, and Master.  NHQ has never baulked at this.  Further, as I said, the 6, 12, 18 month was given out by NHQ as guidance, although unofficially.  In fact, they expressively recognize the fact in CAPR 160-1:

QuoteThe regulation also specifies how HSOs with specialty track ratings previously awarded by commanders are handled.

Oddly though, CAPR 160-1 never addresses the issue despite it being in the summary of changes.  This is why I say talk with the Wing Health Services Officer and the Commanders.  As such it is their decision whether or not to give the 220 Specialty Track ratings. 

8416w

Thank you again for the information. My secondary track is operations. I am a licensed private pilot and my goal is to become a mission pilot.