News of the Force=USAF Northcom Gives CAP new Assignment: Surrogate Predator

Started by wingnut55, September 06, 2009, 02:11:14 PM

Flying Pig

Our camera that I use for work is mounted on the pilots side of the fuselage.  It makes things a little more in line.  I thought it was odd that the mounted it on the wing.  We can pan 360 and straight down as well on the Gyrocam system at work. Oh well, I guess they didnt ask me.  But here is the pilots view of the CAP version.

[attachment deleted by admin]

davidsinn

Thanks. What's that doofer between the main mounts? It looks too big to be a Becker.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Flying Pig

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

If people can't click a link themselves, I'm not too disposed to take more of my time to help them out.  Disregard.  Thought Eclipse was replying to me, not Flying Pig.

Flying Pig

Hmmm.  OK.  Ive been attaching photos the same way since Ive been here.  Oh well.  It was a good picture.

lordmonar

Quote from: davidsinn on September 13, 2009, 10:12:56 PM
Thanks. What's that doofer between the main mounts? It looks too big to be a Becker.

That is the antenna they use to send the video back to base or the ground team.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

davidsinn

Quote from: lordmonar on September 14, 2009, 03:07:13 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on September 13, 2009, 10:12:56 PM

That is the antenna they use to send the video back to base or the ground team.

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 14, 2009, 11:52:21 AM
Looks like that is going to require a LOT of right rudder...

That's the same thing I was thinking, and that the wing is going to be heavy as well - perhaps this is the reason they want two pilots initially.

There's also the issue of what you do with these aircraft when not flying a video mission, or when none of these aircrews are around.  If the device is user-removable, you have the issue of who will be the first wing to forget the locking pins and drop one, if not, will these aircraft become low-use airframes?

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

System overview:

There's a lot more technical information as well as example photos on their web page.

"That Others May Zoom"

Thom

Quote from: Eclipse on September 14, 2009, 12:52:00 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on September 14, 2009, 11:52:21 AM
Looks like that is going to require a LOT of right rudder...

That's the same thing I was thinking, and that the wing is going to be heavy as well - perhaps this is the reason they want two pilots initially.

There's also the issue of what you do with these aircraft when not flying a video mission, or when none of these aircrews are around.  If the device is user-removable, you have the issue of who will be the first wing to forget the locking pins and drop one, if not, will these aircraft become low-use airframes?

These are DEDICATED airframes, that will only support the Surrogate Predator program.  Although, you should have seen the Ops and Maintenance wing guys faces when they announced that the wing still owns the maintenance on the airframe!

The initial ops tempo plans will have the planes used as much or more than any other in the LA Wing inventory, so I don't think they will be 'hangar queens' with low time.

The Army guys are practically salivating over having these available, and my guess would be that, if the project proves out as successful and practical, these will be very busy airframes.

Just in case it wasn't clear, the USAF is putting a LOT of money into this project.  Now CAP needs to step up and deliver.

Thom Hamilton

RiverAux

Is there some sort of hard cover that can be locked over the sensor ball when on the ground and not in use?  I'd be a little bit worried about people walking by and getting nose prints on the glass. 

Thom

Quote from: RiverAux on September 14, 2009, 02:42:19 PM
Is there some sort of hard cover that can be locked over the sensor ball when on the ground and not in use?  I'd be a little bit worried about people walking by and getting nose prints on the glass.

I haven't been up to see it now that it has arrived, but I assume there is a cover of some sort.

HOWEVER, you also seem to assume it will actually be somewhere that people can simply walk up to it.  Not likely, at least in the immediate future.  Forget about security and opsec, the cost of fixing the darn thing if someone breaks it makes keeping it safe the number one priority.

I'll be interested to see how maintenance is handled, though it is co-located with the LA Wing maintenance facility.

Thom Hamilton

SarDragon

Quote from: RiverAux on September 14, 2009, 02:42:19 PM

Most of the military ball style units I've been around have a "Stow" position, where the windows are out of harm's way.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

^ There is no cover.  The lenses stow facing up, protected by the gimbal.

blackrain

Has anyone on here actually flow this aircraft yet? My concern would be how the ball effect crosswind perfomance.

Hey I know.......let's balance it out with Hellfires on the right wing ;D
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy