Countdown to Armageddon

Started by RiverAux, December 27, 2008, 03:53:30 AM

RiverAux

Less than a week until CAP loses approximately 40-50% of its total ES capability!  Well, at least based on what things are looking like in my Wing in terms of the reports on those that have completed the required NIMS training. 

The surprising thing to me is that the biggest problem isn't in the highlevel courses, but in the easy to complete internet courses.  IS-800 seems to have the lowest completion rates in my area. 

My longstanding prediction that there would be a last-minute reprieve on this date hasn't come true yet, but lets see what happens next weekend....

isuhawkeye

is it really that bad??

If there is anyone in the midwest that needs help please do not hesitate to e-mail.  I would be available to help with some training. 

Eclipse

I don't think it is - we can't do much about the in-residence classes, but by me I believe it is more an issue of improper recording of the completion.

For those specialties that require IS-700 and haven't done it, at worst there will be an eye-opener day and they will knock it out at mission base, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Half the ES folks in my unit are lacking 700, the most critical need for us.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: RiverAux on December 27, 2008, 03:53:30 AM
Less than a week until CAP loses approximately 40-50% of its total ES capability!

Well I "punched this ticket" so to speak back in May 2008 & October 2008 for the 100/200/700/800 on line ones -- One sitting at the computer was for about 5 hours-- Not much fun, somewhat interesting information.  Still got to find a "local" weekend 300 course after the first of the year.      

Since I think CAP is in "the numbers game", so to speak, I'd be very surprised IF they pull the plug on "CAP qualified", capable ES types, and show such a large decrease in ES qualified personnel on their reports to outside agencies.  Even from a practical mission response standpoint, geographically you've got to have some ES types close to the area to respond.   It would be nutty to send a UDF team for example from 100-125 miles away, just because the local team (15 miles from the potential incident) didn't complete all the ICS requirements.
I do think that there were problems in getting enough in residence classes set up in the 300/400 series in at least some wings.

Perhaps though, this entire drill will show actually who really is interested in CAP emergency services both cadet & senior wise.  Maybe the potential 25-50% reduction in ES staffing capability is the harsh reality.
RM

♠SARKID♠

As of Nov 30, 516 courses still have to be completed in WIWG.

IceNine

They aren't "pulling the plug"  Everyone needs to understand this.

They are SUSPENDING your qualifications NOT revoking them.

This means that you will have 2 stars next to the suspended qual's on your 101, and anyone who views your records will see that you are suspended.

As far as showing in national reporting numbers or whatever it won't show a decrease as far as mission resources until these qual's expire from non-compliance.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on December 27, 2008, 05:19:37 AM

Is that 516 of the currently ES qualified, or is that 516 of the wing total bodies do not have the courses?

All of the active ES-ers in my squadron have complied - even some of us not interested in ES.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on December 27, 2008, 05:26:23 AM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on December 27, 2008, 05:19:37 AM

Is that 516 of the currently ES qualified, or is that 516 of the wing total bodies do not have the courses?

All of the active ES-ers in my squadron have complied - even some of us not interested in ES.

It includes all the members who will lose ratings if they do not finish their courses, and its "courses that need to be taken", not "bodies".  Some of those numbers are the same person needing multiple classes.

Also, I found a more recent document, its down to 271

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: IceNine on December 27, 2008, 05:23:06 AM
They aren't "pulling the plug"  Everyone needs to understand this.

They are SUSPENDING your qualifications NOT revoking them.

This means that you will have 2 stars next to the suspended qual's on your 101, and anyone who views your records will see that you are suspended.

As far as showing in national reporting numbers or whatever it won't show a decrease as far as mission resources until these qual's expire from non-compliance.

So Let me understand this  ???.  Example:  An ES mission tasking for your squadron comes up e.g. UDF ELT mission.   IF a member is suspended qualification wise than technically he/she can't participate in the mission, correct?

Again, IF you are suspended than you are NOT available for ES missions & thus shouldn't be reported at the group, wing, national level as being a "resource".   Wouldn't that be the honest, reality results  of the NB policy implementation?
RM

IceNine

^ You are correct with a skew.

You aren't reporting anything.  The system simply doesn't modify the resource reports for suspended qualifications.

This is of course based off of the assumption that the system works exactly as it does now.

I went in a few days ago to play with things and see what happened if I suspended my deputy's qual's and the numbers on my resource reports remained the same.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on December 27, 2008, 02:42:10 PM
So Let me understand this  ???.  Example:  An ES mission tasking for your squadron comes up e.g. UDF ELT mission.   IF a member is suspended qualification wise than technically he/she can't participate in the mission, correct?

Its not "technically".  Stay home, don't call us, and we won't call you until you get your stuff done.

I'm making this point because I know that this is going to be the next round of uncomfortable conversations we commanders are going to have, as despite the months of advisories, weeks of warnings, and days of desperate emails sent by ESO's all over the country, plenty of Goobers will make they excuse that they "didn't know" or "didn't have time".

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

So just confirming, for pilots, its ICS 200 and 700?

IceNine

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

drcomm

David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

drcomm

Found the problem.  The link had an"l" after the ".pdf".  Try this link:

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/2008_04_10_NIMS.pdf
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

smj58501

I am uploading study guides for 100, 200, 700, and 800.

Maybe some folks will find these handy, and perhaps accelerate their learning process a bit. They are in essence a more "to the point" reference to assist you in getting through what you need to know to achieve course standards.

I recommend you take 700 first, then move on to the others you may not have "mastered" yet.

Good luck. Happy Ctrl+F 'ing  :)
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on December 27, 2008, 04:41:05 AM
but by me I believe it is more an issue of improper recording of the completion.

I know that has been a problem.  Some folks have gotten the (wrong) idea that if they take the online courses that they automatically get posted in e-services -- they don't. 

Eclipse

Big surprise, I know - the testing site appears to be slammed...

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on December 27, 2008, 04:53:04 PM

Its not "technically".  Stay home, don't call us, and we won't call you until you get your stuff done.

I'm making this point because I know that this is going to be the next round of uncomfortable conversations we commanders are going to have, as despite the months of advisories, weeks of warnings, and days of desperate emails sent by ESO's all over the country, plenty of Goobers will make they excuse that they "didn't know" or "didn't have time".

Gee, I've been told by a long time/very high ranking CAP member that historically it takes a lot longer to implement things in CAP than one would think & that's the way it is.  Basically giving everyone only 8 1/2 months (April 2008 policy letter)  to complete all the on line as well as the (especially)l ICS 300 in residence seems a bit aggressive.  Perhaps it should have been 1 year for the on linee courses, 18 months for ICS 300 in residence, & 2 Years for ICS 400 in residence.

There's nothing in AF current Policy or Regulations, regarding AF Assigned Missions to CAP that require these courses.   Personally, I've successfully got all the on line FEMA training done; BUT frankly I can't undestand WHY CAP would start to limit mission staffing resources availability because a few on line courses hadn't been completed, especially when your primary missions are from a customer that could care less whether these courses are completed or not  ???
RM