Radiological Monitoring

Started by MIKE, February 15, 2006, 06:19:51 PM

MIKE

Looks like MIMS has started crediting anyone with GES with supervised trainee status for ARM and GRM.  Weird.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Yeah, I noticed that too.  That seems pretty arbitrary.   ::)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SarDragon

Where are you seeing this? I just went into my record and don't see an entry there.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

pixelwonk

Quote from: SarDragon on February 17, 2006, 08:29:36 PM
Where are you seeing this? I just went into my record and don't see an entry there.

Look at your 101 card online

MIKE

Quote from: SarDragon on February 17, 2006, 08:29:36 PM

Looks like they took it off.  It was listed on Personal CAPF 101 the other day.  
Mike Johnston

BlueLakes1

I had qualified as an RM, the other day my 101 showed with RM and trainee for GRM and ARM. Next day, the RM was gone, GRM permanent and ARM gone. Don't know what the change is about.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

desert rat

What is the actual training required for a ground radiological monitoring.  I can't find a training task guide anywhere, or what outside CAP training suffices for thequalification.

mmouw

My AF job does RM. I also took the FEMA course and if your state has training then that is also required. There isn't a whole lot of us out there. I decided to do it to help make us more marketable for missions. I will say that if I am ever called on to perform this mission, a whole lot of things have gone wrong. State and Federal personnel will be put in first.
Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing

Eclipse

Quote from: desert rat on February 15, 2007, 07:34:46 AM
What is the actual training required for a ground radiological monitoring.  I can't find a training task guide anywhere, or what outside CAP training suffices for thequalification.

Quote from: CAP Knowledgebase
CAP does not have a nationwide radiological monitoring program, though some wings do support local agencies with appropriately trained personnel. Your wing will need to recognize your qualifications and have an existing program before utilization and award of a rating...

...The Aerial Radiological Monitoring Patch is awarded for completion of any state or FEMA radiological monitoring course. Individuals who complete such a course should provide a copy of the completion certificate to your professional development or personnel officer for inclusion in your records. The patch may be ordered from CAPMart/Vanguard Item 0839 AERIAL RADIOLOGICAL PATCH.

http://tinyurl.com/2b8586

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

I don't think they're so much looking for emerency response as regular monitoring.

ThorntonOL

Which FEMA courses are required?
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

ThorntonOL

also, how do you find out if your state requires addtional training?
NY-292

Short Field

I don't believe there is a on-line FEMA course covering Radiological Monitoring. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Frenchie

Years ago I attended a Radiological Monitoring training class (not through CAP).  The last day of the class included an easter egg hunt for some radioactive cobalt using a radiation dosimeter.  Big fun.

CAPLAW

I took the state course in Florida, so does this mean I get to wear the patch? I was hrough the state f radation control dept.

ThorntonOL

I was yahooing it just now and it looks like Texas wing had it at one time. (RM program)
You needed IS 3 and 301 plus a couple of other requirements including GT, GES, and one RM mission or training to get qualified.
NY-292

arajca

Your best source for information is you wing director of operations. Only a couple of wings have a radmon program.

I've completed the ARM course twice (once in IL as a cadet, once in OK as a senior). I am currently a hazmat technician with a specialty of radioactive materials.

wingnut55

In the 1950s and 1960s CAp was one of the first responders for aerial radiological monitoring, ground crews were trained to decontaminate the aircraft and equipment. I remember it clearly because my dad was a CAP pilot and a Civil defense officer, as a federal employee they had a lot of reading material.

The philosophy in the 1960s was changed to MAD mutual assured distruction so they gave up for CAP or just about anyone trying to survive (Thankyou Government ). but with terrorist threats and the possibility of small yield weapons The Feds need our help again. but we have many Ignorant uneducated people who think monitoring means flying through a mushroom cloud, What is need is ways to monitor the very small alpha and bets particles and their movement in the upper atmosphere. With UAVs that will be the best way. because with no one on board we need little protection. yet we do need people to take the FEMA classes to become familiarized AND EDUCATED. A few years ago the Homeland security created special Guard units posted around the States. These guys have the completely sealed self contained breathing devices filters on the Aircraft. I did some of it in the Air Force, radiation has not changed much, but we sure are lacking in radiological protection in the USA,.

indeed some states still use CAP in there MOU for radiological help, but for ust to do it we need to be back under the guidance of homeland security on those missions, another good mission for the Archer as a instrument platform.

lordmonar

DOE maintains a fleet of aircraft and personell for the aerial monitoring.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

arajca

Alpha particles are relatively large and are stopped by a piece of paper. The problem with alpha particles is if they are inhaled/injested. The common radmon equipment will not detect alpha particles.

Beta are a little more dangerous, but still an easily delt with threat. Most common radmon equipment can detect beta and some can even measure it.

When I went through ARM, the premise was to find the boundries of a radioactive area.

Nowadays, despite what some seniors think, cadets most likely will not be utilized in a radmon role. Not because they are uncapable, but because no parents will let them. I sat in on a GRM class where the instructor flat out said he'd take a trained cadet over an untrained senior for a GRM mission any day. He refused to consider that the trained cadet most likely would not be available due to parental involvement.