Online NIMS 700 & 800

Started by 0, May 05, 2008, 04:42:48 PM

Jolt

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on August 06, 2008, 05:08:51 AM
Personally speaking at a minimum you should get ICS 100, 200, 700, 800.

Then go get the Professional Development Series doen. There is useful knowledge in all of it.

Personally I have completed 34 of the FEMA courses.

I lost interest after completing two, but I finished three because I was required to.  I cannot imagine doing 34 FEMA courses.  That just seems painful.

CadetProgramGuy

SilverEagle2

Well, I completed the IS200, IS700, and IS800.B yesturday and updated the Single-Person Acheivement Screen.

My IS100 went active pretty quick after I did that as I recall.

Anyone know who the approving authority is for the Pending Verification IS acheivements?

They seem to do a good job of staying on top of things.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Al Sayre

Squadron Commanders verify for IS 100, 200, 700, & 800.  Group or Wing DOS for ICS 300 & 400
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Ricochet13

Quote from: Al Sayre on August 06, 2008, 04:42:43 PM
Squadron Commanders verify for IS 100, 200, 700, & 800.  Group or Wing DOS for ICS 300 & 400

Where did you see that Group or Wing DOS verify for ICS-300?

Completed ICS-300 two weeks ago and submitted through eServices.  As I'm commander, could not verify myself and so made copy of certificate for my personnel file and referred it to Squadron Deputy Commander.  He approved and it appeared on my 101 card.   

Just double-checking.

Eclipse

Sounds like you have some sort of circular approval relationship going in eServices.

As a unit CC, no one should be approving >your< "anything" but the Group CC (or designate).

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

Quote from: Ricochet13 on August 06, 2008, 06:41:31 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on August 06, 2008, 04:42:43 PM

Where did you see that Group or Wing DOS verify for ICS-300?

Completed ICS-300 two weeks ago and submitted through eServices.  As I'm commander, could not verify myself and so made copy of certificate for my personnel file and referred it to Squadron Deputy Commander.  He approved and it appeared on my 101 card.   

Just double-checking.

That's just how they've been popping up in my inboxes...

And like Bob said, I verify/approve all the ES stuff for all the unit commanders except myself, which eServices routes to my squadron ESO for unit verification and then to the WG/CC or WG/CV for approval (we don't have Groups in MS).
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

MikeD

Quote from: Eclipse on August 06, 2008, 03:05:26 AM
iCC's NIMS Memo, see attached:

Awesome, thank you.  Working on 700 now...

*Edit:  Don't take this class after your brain's fried from a week of Autocad classes.....

isuhawkeye

Just an FYI.  the Emergency Management Institute recently updated several of their courses.  IS-100, and 200 now have the ".b" designator behind the course title.  This new course is fully NIMS compliant. 

There is no requirement to re take these courses if you have already completed them.

Also there is a new EOC interface course.  this may be a good course for command staf to consider.

RRLE

Some other FEMA courses to consider:

IS15A Special Events Contingency Planning for Public Safety Agencies. I took this one since my ARES/RACES group does get involved with providing comms for parades. If CAP does something similar it couldn't hurt to take the course.

IS-702 National Incident Management Systems (NIMS) Public Information Systems

Two weather related ones on the 'to be done' list:

IS-271 Anticipating Hazardous Weather & Community Risk
IS-324 Community Hurricane Preparedness

As CAP gets more NIMS compliant, the following might be helpful. There are even more courses but I think these are most related to what CAP does.

IS-701 NIMS Multiagency Coordination System (MACS) Course
IS-703 NIMS Resource Management This gets into the, soon to be important, resource typing issue.
IS-706 NIMS Intrastate Mutual Aid - An Introduction
IS-801 Emergency Support Functions (ESF) #1 - Transportation This is a very new course.
IS-802 Emergency Support Functions (ESF) #2 - Communications This is a very new course.
IS-809 Emergency Support Function (ESF) #9 – Search and Rescue
IS-860 National Infrastructure Protection Plan (NIPP)

I think this is the course that isuhawkeye mentioned: IS-775, EOC Management and Operations

Ricochet13

Quote from: Eclipse on August 06, 2008, 06:52:35 PM
Sounds like you have some sort of circular approval relationship going in eServices.

As a unit CC, no one should be approving >your< "anything" but the Group CC (or designate).

I'll have to check and see if the Group/CC approved, but not sure eServices routed it to him.

Ricochet13

Quote from: RRLE on August 08, 2008, 12:55:20 PM
Some other FEMA courses to consider:

IS15A Special Events Contingency Planning for Public Safety Agencies. I took this one since my ARES/RACES group does get involved with providing comms for parades. If CAP does something similar it couldn't hurt to take the course.

IS-702 National Incident Management Systems (NIMS) Public Information Systems

Two weather related ones on the 'to be done' list:

IS-271 Anticipating Hazardous Weather & Community Risk
IS-324 Community Hurricane Preparedness

As CAP gets more NIMS compliant, the following might be helpful. There are even more courses but I think these are most related to what CAP does.

IS-701 NIMS Multiagency Coordination System (MACS) Course
IS-703 NIMS Resource Management This gets into the, soon to be important, resource typing issue.
IS-706 NIMS Intrastate Mutual Aid - An Introduction
IS-801 Emergency Support Functions (ESF) #1 - Transportation This is a very new course.
IS-802 Emergency Support Functions (ESF) #2 - Communications This is a very new course.
IS-809 Emergency Support Function (ESF) #9 – Search and Rescue
IS-860 National Infrastructure Protection Plan (NIPP)

I think this is the course that isuhawkeye mentioned: IS-775, EOC Management and Operations

Just completed the IS-802 and IS-809 courses this afternoon.  FEMA-EMI suggests a 30 minute timeframe to complete each course and that seemed very adequate time to go through the presentations without rushing.  Both are, of course, "Big Picture" in nature and help to fill in and reinforce other ICS courses.  And as a note, Civil Air Patrol and AFRCC were included in the IS-809 course.

RiverAux

That inclusion will probably end up giving CAP more exposure in the local emergency management community than anything else we've done in recent decades since more than likely anyone that has anything to do with SAR will probably be taking that course.

isuhawkeye

very true.  It's an honor to the organization

Ricochet13

Quote from: RiverAux on August 09, 2008, 12:29:56 AM
That inclusion will probably end up giving CAP more exposure in the local emergency management community than anything else we've done in recent decades since more than likely anyone that has anything to do with SAR will probably be taking that course.

Agree with you on that.

Incidentally, the "non-CAP" instructor of the ICS-300 course I took was very specific to mention CAP in the discussions and to recommend inclusion of CAP in any IAP planning.   

Also a good sign!

Tubacap

Mine was too in the ICS-300 level course. 

By the way, once you get the initial stuff out of the way, a lot of the previously mentioned FEMA courses are great.  I would definitely recommmend the Professional Development Series (PDS) for anyone that is looking to become more involved in the planning of missions or SAREXs.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Short Field

Just FYI:  Don't confuse Validation with Approval.  A lot of people in the organization can "Validate" something - like a ICS course.  It just means "Yes, I saw the certificate for the course and his name was on it".  You validate ICS courses, FAA Medical Certifcates, etc.  It is a no brainer. 

Approval means the person has (1) met the qualifications and (2) has your approval to get the rating/qualification.  A IC3 candidate might meet all the qualifications but the Wing/CC (or anyone else in the approval chain) might consider them a total flake and not approve them to be a IC3.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

MikeD

Would Ground Teams and UDF teams be considered a Strike Team under ICS?

isuhawkeye

no,

ground teams, and udf teams are single resources.  Much like a fire engine has 3-5 people attached to its single resource status.

Now, if you deploy multiple ground teams to search a park for a missing camper, they could work as a strike team. 

If you throw an aircraft into the mix it would be a task force

Eclipse

Correct, the "team" itself is the resource, not the people in it, because independently they aren't allowed to operate, so in that capacity they aren't a resource.  Usually 3-5 of the same resource make up a strike team.

However a combination of UDF and GT's, could be considered a task force as they are actually different types of resources, especially if you assigned an aircraft as part of the TF.

I've lit up Strike Team Leaders very effectively for larger, more complex missions with multiple teams operating in the same area.  There is only so much a GBD can do to coordinate a search from the ICP.

"That Others May Zoom"