you know your a SAR junkie when...

Started by SAR junkie, August 05, 2005, 11:01:57 PM

thefischNX01

Quote from: jbaker

When your Ground Team beats the aircraft to the target... and the flight crew was pre flighting the plane when you left the airport!

;D

That's just not fair, dude...
oh well...

Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing
http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

Chris Jacobs

you know you are a SAR junkie when...

Your ground team leader calls you and the first words out of his mouth are "do you want to play."
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

CadetProgramGuy

SAR Junkie....

You have more shirts that say "Search & Rescue" then anything else.
Your dog gets excited when he sees you put on your uniform (SAR Dogs)
Your dog lets your children play dress up, because 'he' thinks he's getting new gear.
Your favorite colors are Blaze Orange and Safety Yellow

**True story**  You are on an actual looking for a missing student, and they give you the worst known possible turrain to cover, knee deep in mud, the civvies with you are complaining about how nasty it is, and you are laughing at them.....

SARChick

Quote from: J_Baker on October 31, 2006, 10:09:02 PM
When you buy a case of Sour Gummy Worms, just to bring on the Mission Mo Jo!

we havent done that in a while!

you know you're a SAR junkie when this:

is your random alarm clock!! (or a cell phone or house phone w/e) and it gets ur butt in gear! HOOAH

Quote from: J_Baker on October 31, 2006, 10:15:02 PM
OR... When your Ground Team beats the aircraft to the target... and the flight crew was pre flighting the plane when you left the airport!
was i on that one? i want to say i was!! because it sounds so familiar!
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear."
-Ambrose Redmoon

9.11.2001 Never Forget

flyguy06

as far as the army thing goes...it was a mission @ 300am and we were going to turn off an ELT in a black hawk. we had to wait for the first sgt. to get there to unlock the bird. and one of the guards and i were talking. he told me that my gear was cool...and that he thinks search and rescue is cool. now him tellin me that my gear is cool comes to me as envy..if even a lil bit. we talked for a good hour so he said more stuff about it..and be4 it was over i was taking apart my gear so he could see it. good fun
[/quote]

AT 3 am, the First Sergeant is at home in the bed. Why would he need to come out and unlock it when you have a CQ and staff NCO? No 1SG is going to get out of bed at 3 am. The duty NCO has keys to everything

Cobra_Bubbles

Yes SAR Junkie, you were there. High Bird even got a bit miffed when he called IC to report that he had just started to get signal.... as we got out of the Van. Told us that we couldn't be there yet since he hadn't told us where to go. LOL
Great leaders are the first to give the credit for successful results to the team.
These same great leaders are the first to accept the blame personally when the
team fails to perform.

Cobra_Bubbles

Quote from: thefischNX01 on November 01, 2006, 12:51:30 AM
Quote from: jbaker

When your Ground Team beats the aircraft to the target... and the flight crew was pre flighting the plane when you left the airport!

;D

That's just not fair, dude...
oh well...

We had been to the same Army Reserve Base for the same Black Hawk two nights before. SARSAT hits were just too close to be anywhere else. Army gives us a lot of business.
Great leaders are the first to give the credit for successful results to the team.
These same great leaders are the first to accept the blame personally when the
team fails to perform.

Matt

Quote from: J_Baker on November 01, 2006, 06:32:40 PM
Yes SAR Junkie, you were there. High Bird even got a bit miffed when he called IC to report that he had just started to get signal.... as we got out of the Van. Told us that we couldn't be there yet since he hadn't told us where to go. LOL

Been there: done that.  Was on a SARCAP, driving down the road to the nearest airport of the "merge" we were given.  So, sitting on 121.775, cruisin' along, get about 1/4 from the airport, nothing.  Drive past the airport, get a signal, 1/8 mile -- gone.  Switch over to 121.5: loud and clear; 243, same story.  Off before RCC ever knew about it, and the way the mechanics said it, it wasn't on more than 5 minutes before we actually acquired it: he had just replaced the battery about 15min before we talked to him...
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

SARChick

you know you're a SAR junkie when you have to get your SAR gear out of your car to seat the additional three people that your car can hold. (sry boys i dont drive a truck...YET!)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear."
-Ambrose Redmoon

9.11.2001 Never Forget

isuhawkeye

bump

you know your a SAR junkie when your dog has taken over your spot in the bed

you know your a SAR junkie when you maintain a website dedicated to the subject.
(shameless plug)

Stonewall

I have to go with this one....

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on November 01, 2006, 02:38:58 AM
SAR Junkie....

You have more shirts that say "Search & Rescue" then anything else.

Everytime we (CAP) trained with local SAR groups like Shenandoah Mountain SAR or Tidewater SAR in VA, it was their thing to wear as many SAR conference, training schools, competition or whatever shirts during the event.  I kid you not, they would show up in the morning wearing one shirt; come back after lunch in another and for dinner, throw on a fresh new shirt.  Again, something identifying them as a SAR geek.

I call it being ate up.
Serving since 1987.

Michael

You know you're a SAR junkie when...

you get called up for a find ribbon at a banquet and didn't know which one of your numerous missions it was on.

Bill Coons, C/Capt

SJFedor

You know you're a SAR junkie when....

The mission pilot has to drive out to the middle of nowhere to pick up the Ground team, who's ghetto corporate van hooptie broke down.

True story, during a training mission this past fall, we had a GT working in a mountainous area, en route to the "victims" and their van broke down. The victims only had one of the Ford Expeditions, and couldn't drive out all the GT people. So, they sent me, the MP that JUST landed from working with the GT, up there to go pick them up and wait for the tow truck.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: whatevah on August 08, 2005, 09:36:17 PM
Quote from: SAR junkie on August 05, 2005, 11:01:57 PM
2. when u go on a military base to shut off an ELT and the army guys envy your SAR gear
and you know this, how?  they walked up and said "dude, your gear is better than ours"?  Most people carry gear they don't need, which is just dead weight.  The military survival gear (not SAR) rarely has anything you don't need.

Actually I have been on base for a SAREX and had AD types approach and comment that they hate the mollie and wish they still had my ALICE. Not the same exactly but close.  ::)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: isuhawkeye on January 03, 2008, 05:04:15 AM
bump

you know your a SAR junkie when you maintain a website dedicated to the subject.
(shameless plug)

Really? I call it good business sense.

I think SARKID said it best in his sig: when you dream of little beeping boxes
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

♠SARKID♠

QuoteI think SARKID said it best in his sig: when you dream of little beeping boxes

I think I took that from matt

Quote from: Matt on August 11, 2005, 03:46:36 PM
14. When you alerting officer simply says, "Wanna go play" at 2200

You did it to me at 0200

Quote from: SJFedor on January 03, 2008, 08:44:06 PM
So, they sent me, the MP that JUST landed from working with the GT, up there to go pick them up and wait for the tow truck.

That almost happened last Sat on a training mission.  Snow made the exit of a parking area at Jackson Marsh look wider than it was.  Down went the Expedition into the ditch.  Luckily a guy in a truck passed by a few secs later and pulled us out with some straps.

How to know you're a SAR junkie:
You check 121.5 on a regular basis
The alarm on your PC is set as the ELT sweep tone
MREs are fine quizine
Your license plates reflect your SAR status
You've ever explained to a homeowner why you and your team are searching their yard at all hours of the night
You can call yourself a "target" and not worry about being shot at
When you see a plane, you note its colors, engine count, wing fix, heading, and altitude in preparation for a witness report
When you hear a plane, you drop everything and look up to find it
The sound of an ELT sweep gets you all excited and hot to trot
The bow on you're Christmas present was made of flagging tape
You have two pairs of boots.  One for awards ceremonies and one for the field
You know the MOUs of every organization involved with your own, by heart
Just as cows lay down when they sense impending rain, you start filling canteens when your gut feels impending mission
^You're gut has been right
You know for a FACT that if you plan a training mission, an actual will occur within 8 days of the training date.

W3ZR

Robert Montgomery, soon to be former Captain, CAP

Matt

When a voice in your head (while traveling to a SAREX) says, "Check 121.5" and you find there is a nice harmonic ELT sweep on the end when you do...
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Pace

...you're flying with your student pilot and see someone else land "just a little too hard" and check 121.5 in the air.

Caught one so far.  Too bad I can't get find credit for it. :'(
Lt Col, CAP

JRChristenson

When you converted the internet .wav file to an mp3 so you can use it on your cell phone as a ring tone for fellow CAP members.  And within 24 hours you had given it to several of your CAP friends.   :)

Quote from: K3BM on January 04, 2008, 10:59:38 AM
Your incoming mail sound is an ELT siren.

http://www.avionicswest.com/elt.wav

Jonathan Christenson, 1st Lt, CAP
Springfield Regional Composite Squadron NCR-MO-070