you know your a SAR junkie when...

Started by SAR junkie, August 05, 2005, 11:01:57 PM

SAR junkie

yay.

someone shares the feeling. lol  :D

20. when you get bored waiting for a mission and you take pictures of your gear and refit it.  ::)
C/MSgt Caliguiri
C/CC
Centenary Composite Squadron ~KY058~

search and rescue all the way!

Matt

21. You're on a first name basis with reps at Pointer.
22. You're on a first name basis with reps who customize gear for FEMA's U-SAR teams.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Pylon

I split off the posts regarding cadets involvement in SAR into their own thread.  They are certainly a very good topic to discuss, and they were a bit off-topic from the original intent of this thread's discussion, so I gave them their own thread, here.

Discuss away!   :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: SAR junkie on August 05, 2005, 11:01:57 PM4. you miss a test in school because you were on a mission.

Is that actually possible for Cadets to be called out of school for SAR missions?

JaL5597

Quote from: CALcadet144 on January 22, 2006, 08:52:25 PM
Quote from: SAR junkie on August 05, 2005, 11:01:57 PM4. you miss a test in school because you were on a mission.

Is that actually possible for Cadets to be called out of school for SAR missions?

That one is up to the squadron commanders. 

MIKE

Quote from: JaL5597 on January 22, 2006, 10:52:03 PM

And parents, and the school.
Mike Johnston

JaL5597

Quote from: MIKE on January 22, 2006, 11:37:18 PM

I know.  I was thinking in terms of the squadron commander has to decide who gets the call and when.  It is possible for the decision to be made that cadets would not be called during school hours.  Then its a moot point.

The last time I was called for a mission it was 1 am on a Thursday morning.  That night at the meeting we were discussing the mission and the cadets were not happy about the fact that they were not called.  School was deemed to be more important than running out trying to find a nondistress target.

Xeno

Yes, I've been called out once, although It turned out to be a nondistress target. This was about a year ago, I think I was a C/SMSgt at the time.
C/1st Lt. Josh Sims
C/CC SWR-AR-095

121.5 -- If you crash, we will dash...

Matt

Quote from: JaL5597 on January 23, 2006, 03:48:29 AM
Quote from: MIKE on January 22, 2006, 11:37:18 PM

I know.  I was thinking in terms of the squadron commander has to decide who gets the call and when.  It is possible for the decision to be made that cadets would not be called during school hours.  Then its a moot point.

The last time I was called for a mission it was 1 am on a Thursday morning.  That night at the meeting we were discussing the mission and the cadets were not happy about the fact that they were not called.  School was deemed to be more important than running out trying to find a nondistress target.

The real trick is finding cadets who are homeschooled.  About 80% of our cadet body is in regular school, however, we lucked out with our ground team in the sense that the qualified Cadet GTMs are homeschooled and you have my ole butt who is out of school and my boss, to my knowledge, doesn't mind me running off and frolicing in airports  ;D

Fearlessleader01

Almost my entire sqadron is homeschooled (and GTM-1s). Mission capable 24/7. Pretty sweet.
C/Maj Joseph Trujillo
NER-CT-058 X0
CTWG CAC Chair
GTM-1, EMT-B

iowacap

In my state I believe there is a bill that passed not sure if it did I will have to check that for those members activated they are given same consideration as to the national guard relating from a mandatory absence without loss of pay or punishment. I know the last time I checked it was still in the state house but was expecting to pass.

isuhawkeye

that law was just passed in iowa.  we were written to the military non-discrimination act.

You know your a sar junky when....

you spend 6 days in july managing over 1,000 volunteers, air assetts from 5 different entities, "Dagger 1", LEA, dogs, horses, ATV's and it's the 4th of july...

you get named one of 2 SAR Experts by the state emergency management office

Marine Corps Gal

I'm homeschooled too -- it is indeed pretty cool.  My boss can call me in whenever I'm needed, knowing I can work my schooltime around my hours at work.  Same with CAP activities. 
OO-RAH.

A1Steaksauce

I gots a SAR story for y'all.......A small prop cargo plane crashed flying over southern Vt......The AF notified us and the telephone tree to all of the squadron staff began. The first to respond was Burlington Compsite Sqdrn. (Northernmost in the wing). After rying reaptedly to reach Rutland Composite Sqdrn. (Mid-wing) they e-mailed us and the Commander didn't recive it until 6hrs after the plane was located by Burlington. Thats the extent of Vermont Wing SAR for ya.......

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: A1Steaksauce on October 25, 2006, 11:53:40 PM
I gots a SAR story for y'all.......A small prop cargo plane crashed flying over southern Vt......The AF notified us and the telephone tree to all of the squadron staff began. The first to respond was Burlington Compsite Sqdrn. (Northernmost in the wing). After rying reaptedly to reach Rutland Composite Sqdrn. (Mid-wing) they e-mailed us and the Commander didn't recive it until 6hrs after the plane was located by Burlington. Thats the extent of Vermont Wing SAR for ya.......

I spent part of last week in VT during my honeymoon; I noticed that the pace of life in general was more than a bit different than what I'm used to as a resident of SE PA just outside Philly.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Matt

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on October 26, 2006, 04:07:31 AM

I spent part of last week in VT during my honeymoon; I noticed that the pace of life in general was more than a bit different than what I'm used to as a resident of SE PA just outside Philly.

BURN!

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: Matt on October 26, 2006, 09:17:52 PM

BURN!

???

Unless I'm out in the sun too long, I tend not to burn... thashould be obvious wityh a username like mine  ;D
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Matt

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on October 26, 2006, 10:12:01 PM
Quote from: Matt on October 26, 2006, 09:17:52 PM

BURN!

???

Unless I'm out in the sun too long, I tend not to burn... thashould be obvious wityh a username like mine  ;D

Doh!  (Burn: roughly translated from Kelso of That 70's Show means: ouch, good point, you got 'em)

Cobra_Bubbles

When you buy a case of Sour Gummy Worms, just to bring on the Mission Mo Jo!
Great leaders are the first to give the credit for successful results to the team.
These same great leaders are the first to accept the blame personally when the
team fails to perform.

Cobra_Bubbles

OR... When your Ground Team beats the aircraft to the target... and the flight crew was pre flighting the plane when you left the airport!
Great leaders are the first to give the credit for successful results to the team.
These same great leaders are the first to accept the blame personally when the
team fails to perform.