Air Branch Director

Started by Full time cadet, November 18, 2015, 02:03:50 AM

Flying Pig

Quote from: JeffDG on November 18, 2015, 05:50:34 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on November 18, 2015, 05:43:54 PM
Nowhere did I ever say it can't happen.
Really?
Quote from: Flying Pig on November 18, 2015, 05:20:17 PM
Can you cite where CADETS in CAP are authorized to make command decisions over Senior Members?

And I've cited circumstances where that is explicitly authorized, as well as implicitly authorized.

However a cadet will never be held liable in CAP for decisions in a legal sense
And I've asked, and you've failed to provide, a citation for that assertion.

<<Editted to add>>
In fact, if a cadet MP prangs an airplane, will it be the Senior member observer who is subject to legal action by the FAA?  Will that Observer have to undergo an 44709 ride with the FAA, or will the cadet MP who was the PIC for the flight be subject to liability in the legal sense for his/her decisions as PIC?

Not even the same issue.   

Flying Pig

That's the FAA taking action on a certificate.  Being a member of CAP is irrelevant in your scenario.

JeffDG

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 18, 2015, 06:06:26 PM
Really?
Can you cite where CADETS in CAP are authorized to make command decisions over Senior Members?

And I've cited circumstances where that is explicitly authorized, as well as implicitly authorized.

<<Editted to add>>
In fact, if a cadet MP prangs an airplane, will it be the Senior member observer who is subject to legal action by the FAA?  Will that Observer have to undergo an 44709 ride with the FAA, or will the cadet MP who was the PIC for the flight be subject to liability in the legal sense for his/her decisions as PIC?

Not even the same issue.

You said "a cadet will never be held liable in CAP for decisions in a legal sense "

FAA certificate actions are, most definitely, "a legal sense".  Far more "legal" than any CAP regulatory infractions will ever be.  And, again, you've yet to cite your regulatory authority for your assertion, while Phil Hirons, Jr has clearly provided citations that contradict your assertion.

Flying Pig

Their status with the FAA has no bearing with their membership in CAP.

JeffDG

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 18, 2015, 06:12:22 PM
Their status with the FAA has no bearing with their membership in CAP.

Regardless, their status with the FAA is certainly a liability that they have in "a legal sense" to use your words.

Also, what happens if you issue property to a cadet who is 18-20 years old and they, through negligence, lose or damage it?  CAPR 174-1 (2-15c) only requires parental co-signature for cadets under 18, so certainly, a cadet over 18 can be assessed for negligence in such matters, and that's certainly a "CAP consequence" that attaches to a cadet.

Still waiting for that citation of yours.

Flying Pig

So you really don't understand the context of a cadet making a decision as an AOBD vs a cadet making a mistake as an FAA rated pilot resulting in damage?

JeffDG

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 18, 2015, 06:27:59 PM
So you really don't understand the context of a cadet making a decision as an AOBD vs a cadet making a mistake as an FAA rated pilot resulting in damage?

You're the one who claimed that cadets can never be held responsible, in a legal sense.  I'm simply pointing out the absurdity of your assertion.

You persist in sticking to this Old Wive's Tale that cadets cannot ever command seniors, and after repeated requests, you cannot back it up with a citation.  Citations to the contrary have been provided, yet you stick to your OWT.

Flying Pig

And I'm waiting for you to show me where cadets can command senior members with full authority.  The regs themselves cite that adult members may exercise command authority over cadets even when the adult is in a subordinate position.  So cadets are absolutely never in complete command. There is a provision that adult members can step in and over ride.   Does that sound yo you like any command you've ever heard of? 

JeffDG

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 18, 2015, 06:49:52 PM
And I'm waiting for you to show me where cadets can command senior members with full authority.  The regs themselves cite that adult members may exercise command authority over cadets even when the adult is in a subordinate position.  So cadets are absolutely never in complete command. There is a provision that adult members can step in and over ride.   Does that sound yo you like any command you've ever heard of?

Stick to your OWT.

Flying Pig

JeffDG

I guess, since if MGen Vasquez were to give me an order  and I thought it would be an extreme risk I can refuse it, he's not really the National Commander then.  Good to know.

SarDragon

OK, kids, back it down. The OP is probably gone, and you've turned this into a urinating competition.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

Quote from: JeffDG on November 18, 2015, 07:02:58 PM

I guess, since if MGen Vasquez were to give me an order  and I thought it would be an extreme risk I can refuse it, he's not really the National Commander then.  Good to know.

Uhh, yes. You absolutely could if it posed an extreme risk to you or anyone else.  Glad I could clarify that for you. But that's not even the same context.   The regs I was citing specifically addresses the senior / cadet interaction.

JeffDG

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 18, 2015, 07:21:04 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on November 18, 2015, 07:02:58 PM

Uhh, yes. You absolutely could if it posed an extreme risk to you or anyone else.  Glad I could clarify that for you. But that's not even the same context.   The regs I was citing specifically addresses the senior / cadet interaction.

Yet, that's the standard where a subordinate senior can step in and exercise command discretion...why is it different?

Flying Pig

That Reg specifically denotes "adult member" when subordinate in position to a cadet.  Not member over riding member.  The fact that they specify the relationship of adult vs cadet is the key.

JeffDG

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 18, 2015, 07:41:20 PM
That Reg specifically denotes "adult member" when subordinate in position to a cadet.  Not member over riding member.  The fact that they specify the relationship of adult vs cadet is the key.

The Adult-Cadet relationship is incidental to that rule.  The "extreme risk" is the key phrase there, but stick to your OWT.

Larry Mangum

Really?

<<Editted to add>>

Jeff, you are arguing FAA Rules versus CAP rules, they are not the same thing and you know it.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Flying Pig

Is there any Reg that states a cadet member can exercise "command authority" over an adult member regardless of whether or not that cadet is in a subordinate portion to the senior where they took steps to specify membership status?   Seriously, I don't know.  In this case I read it as CAP ultimately giving an adult a legal way out from command of a cadet as well as granting that adult the command authority to take control.  But not the other way around.

JeffDG

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 18, 2015, 07:47:05 PM
Is there any Reg that states a cadet member can exercise "command authority" over an adult member regardless of whether or not that cadet is in a subordinate portion to the senior where they took steps to specify membership status?   Seriously, I don't know.  In this case I read it as CAP ultimately giving an adult a legal way out from command of a cadet as well as granting that adult the command authority to take control.  But not the other way around.

So, now you're arguing that if a Senior Member orders you to do something that is "extremely risky", you are obligated to follow that order, but if a cadet does so, you're not?

You just made the case for only having cadets in positions like branch director to preserve the ability of members to avoid extremely risky taskings.

JeffDG

Quote from: Larry Mangum on November 18, 2015, 07:45:34 PM
Really?

<<Editted to add>>

Jeff, you are arguing FAA Rules versus CAP rules, they are not the same thing and you know it.

I'm arguing "in a legal sense" which is the standard proposed by FP.  I've also cited CAP rules that say that Cadets can have authority over senior members, and that cadets can be held responsible in CAP for negligent content.

Flying Pig on the other hand has cited nothing but repetition of an OWT.