Firearms on Ground team

Started by Sergeant#40, April 19, 2014, 05:56:48 PM

Sergeant#40

Why are firearms prohibited on ground team missions?
"Do or do not; there is no try."

lordmonar

We don't want Ground Teams shooting themselves....or anyone else.

Next question.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Walkman

I don't know the entire background, but I expect it has to do with the Posse Comititus Act. We are prohibited from performing law enforcement actions while on CAP duty. Another aspect of this is as none of our missions require firearms, there is no CAP firearms training or qualifications to make sure that anyone carrying is competent.

Eclipse

CAP is fully capable of shooting itself in the foot already, no need for firearms.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Walkman on April 19, 2014, 06:09:26 PM
I don't know the entire background, but I expect it has to do with the Posse Comititus Act. We are prohibited from performing law enforcement actions while on CAP duty. Another aspect of this is as none of our missions require firearms, there is no CAP firearms training or qualifications to make sure that anyone carrying is competent.
I think you are reading too much into it.    I just don't see a need to be armed....and lots of reason not to be armed.

Sergeant#40

I'm not thinking of law enforcement. I'm thinking about protection from wild animals. As Tarzan said, "It's a jungle out there," and you don't know if or when a Ground Team might get attacked by an animal. I'm not saying the percentage is very big, but never-the-less, there still is a possibility.  As for training and qualifications, in my opinion, only senior members should be eligible to carry a firearm while on a mission. I would never trust another Cadet with a firearm.... That's my take on it.

Storm Chaser

I think one part of it is the liability. The other part is our role as instrumentality of the government, yet still a volunteer, civilian, benevolent, non-profit organization. And did I mention the liability part...?

Sergeant#40

Sure it's a liability. But personally, I'd rather be a liability than come face-to-face with a charging Grizzly without any means of defense.

Eclipse

If you're in an area with a legitimate threat of bear attack, the ORM is probably too high for you to be there.

I seem to recall AKWG had special dispensation to carry a firearm in the aircraft in the case that they crashed, might be a hallucination.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

In my experience, ground teams are usually making enough noise to cause most of the wildlife to be running away from, and not towards, the team.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

sarmed1

The AKWG provision went along the lines "....carried in survival gear when required by law...." or some variation there of.
Personally I am ok with the theory abstractly;  however the practical application ( ie what real humans do is never quite so
black and white)
For every 5 members with a conservative firearm stored concealed or otherwise stowed securely in their gear will be 1 with a desert eagle or taurus judge in a drop leg holster with 100000000 cp tac light laser combo and holographic sight....and that's the guy that will be right in front of the camera showing it off to buba.....and pops one thru the vans door....

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Sergeant#40

I do agree that you would make enough noise to scare other animals away.  However, I have seen rabid animals before that wouldn't run away from humans, and trust me I wouldn't want to have a stare-down with a rabid animal. Again, this
brings up my point of you never know. You don't have to be in an area with a legitimate threat of bear attack; it can happen to anyone, anywhere.

Walkman

In our long history, is anyone aware of an incident of injury or death from an animal attack while on a GT mission?

Eclipse

Quote from: Walkman on April 19, 2014, 11:05:17 PM
In our long history, is anyone aware of an incident of injury or death from an animal attack while on a GT mission?

Camelot Composite had some issues.

Monty Python-Killer Rabbit

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

You guys do know you're arguing with a 14 year old, right? ::)

lordmonar

Quote from: Sergeant#40 on April 19, 2014, 09:55:29 PM
Sure it's a liability. But personally, I'd rather be a liability than come face-to-face with a charging Grizzly without any means of defense.
Really?   How many bear attacks has CAP had in its life time?   I do know of at lease one incident where one CAP guy shot another CAP guy on accident.

So.....no.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on April 19, 2014, 10:02:18 PM
If you're in an area with a legitimate threat of bear attack, the ORM is probably too high for you to be there.

I seem to recall AKWG had special dispensation to carry a firearm in the aircraft in the case that they crashed, might be a hallucination.
I heard rumors from people who participated in AKWG activities...that they would have a "bear box" that had a rifle in it.

It was one of those heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy sort of things.

But like you said.....if the ORM is that high.....I think maybe we should try something else.....or maybe team up with others to support us.
But allowing CAP to carry guns.........I'm not comfortable with that.   We have shown in the past that we can't handle ATVs, under 21 driving CAP vans....and competent pilots pushing their own aircraft into hangars.

So again.......NO

Spaceman3750

Ordinarily, I am not opposed to properly licensed people carrying firearms, but in CAPs case the goober factor cannot be ignored, and as the country song goes, "there's one in every crowd".

Then again, Illinois doesn't have grizzlys.

Ed Bos

Quote from: lordmonar on April 20, 2014, 12:26:47 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 19, 2014, 10:02:18 PM

I heard rumors from people who participated in AKWG activities...that they would have a "bear box" that had a rifle in it.

It was one of those heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy sort of things.

But like you said.....if the ORM is that high.....I think maybe we should try something else.....or maybe team up with others to support us.
But allowing CAP to carry guns.........I'm not comfortable with that.   We have shown in the past that we can't handle ATVs, under 21 driving CAP vans....and competent pilots pushing their own aircraft into hangars.

So again.......NO

Just a rumor. Not something that happens in AKWG any longer.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

lordmonar

Quote from: Ed Bos on April 20, 2014, 12:57:58 AM
Just a rumor. Not something that happens in AKWG any longer.
I was pretty sure that was the case.....but you know how those rumors are.....they make it sound like it was last week.  :)