New 100-1 released

Started by Eclipse, August 03, 2012, 08:44:53 PM

Eclipse

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R100_001_162D77B8183A1.pdf

A few key things clarified...

ICUT upgrades:
g. Members who hold a valid ACUT qualification as of the formal  introduction of the
ICUT course will need to take the OP1 section of the ICUT course, IAW paragraph b above,
which is an orientation to the 21st Century CAP Communications system; however, they have
the option of not taking the ICUT sections about operation of VHF-FM radios (T1)  and radio
operating procedures (OP2).   The Learning Management System used for online ICUT
instruction and Ops Quals  are structured to reflect this option.  It is recommended that all
communicators take all sections of ICUT in order to be familiar with the training received by all
members.

ROA Cards no longer required:
5-4. CAPF 76.  The CAPF 76, Radio Station Authorization, is not required for CAP members to
operate CAP radio stations, as long as the ICUT training has been completed and documented in
OPS QUALS.  The card may be issued by communications managers, as needed, such as if local
law enforcement requires proof of authorization.  Only the current version may be used. In most
cases, a separate CAPF 76 is not needed because the record of Communications qualification is
found on the CAPF 101, Civil Air Patrol Specialty Qualification Card, found in Ops Quals.

Cell phones may not be used in flight:
9-15. Cellular Telephone Use.  In accordance with the FCC rules governing use of the cellular
telephone system, cellular phones may not be used in aircraft in flight on frequencies licensed
under Part 22.  Part 22 governs the 800 MHz band of cellular frequencies.  Part 24 governs the
1800-1900 MHz band of cellular frequencies and is not restricted from use in aircraft in flight. 
However, no currently-available consumer-grade cellular phone or data card can be restricted to
1800-1900 MHz. Therefore, standard cellular equipment shall not be used in flight with the
exception of  specially  modified  equipment authorized by National Headquarters.   Cellular
equipment includes voice, text messaging, wireless Internet and all other functions of cellular
phones,  data/air cards,  and  mobile devices that use  3G/4G, such as smart phones and tablet
computers. CAPR 60-3 may provide further guidance concerning use of cellular technology on
CAP missions.

"That Others May Zoom"

krnlpanick

Man - that's 4 reg updates in 2 days! They are on a roll! Thanks for the summary Eclipse!
2nd Lt. Christopher A. Schmidt, CAP

wuzafuzz

Other notable changes:

• The H-1 report is no longer required.   :clap:
  • We still can't release frequency data willy-nilly.
  • We have to hold annual communications effectiveness evaluations, but we can give advance notice now!  We were previously limited to no more than 12 hours notice.
  • CAP is only permitted to use 123.1 MHz in"coordinated search and rescue operations" for liaison communications...."  We can't use it for training or CAP internal ops.  "No other VHF-AM frequency is authorized for CAP ground station use unless requested and authorized by an FCC licensee."
  • Clarifies that "talkaround" is permitted on repeater output frequencies, but only for "calling" when CAPGUARD is not feasible.
  • A couple of sections state that potential allocation of frequencies, and experimentation with data modes, may be possible with permission from National.
  • Clarification on use of certain interoperability channels such as the IR channels and VFIRE##, VLAW##, etc .
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

krnlpanick

So the Regs were updated for ICUT, but I still don't see ICUT anywhere on the site. Anyone heard any updates on this?
2nd Lt. Christopher A. Schmidt, CAP

arajca

The latest is ICUT will be presented to the NB then released to the vast unwashed masses. This presumes, of course, the national comm team didn't break it when the IT folks turned it over to them.

AngelWings

Wait, does that mean if someone somehow has the ICUT training they can teach it to a class now? And the people can be qualified with ICUT?

SarDragon

Quote from: AngelWings on August 04, 2012, 02:32:50 AM
Wait, does that mean if someone somehow has the ICUT training they can teach it to a class now? And the people can be qualified with ICUT?

Just because you have sat through a training course once, doesn't mean that you are magically qualified to teach it. Other helpful skills include instructor training, and previously acquired subject matter expertise.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AngelWings

Quote from: SarDragon on August 04, 2012, 02:57:49 AM
Quote from: AngelWings on August 04, 2012, 02:32:50 AM

Just because you have sat through a training course once, doesn't mean that you are magically qualified to teach it. Other helpful skills include instructor training, and previously acquired subject matter expertise.
I'm sorry, I should've said instructor who has the ICUT training. Poorly worded on my part.

a2capt

As noted, BCUT us not mentioned anywhere at all except in the opening paragraph that ICUT is a replacement for it, and says that holders of ACUT can take just a portion of the ICUT to update to it, but nothing about BCUT...

If the BCUT people still get their two years or remaining .. or do they have to do it again. IOW, if a BCUT class is being conducted next week, is it a waste of time, certification wise?

Because hands on radio use and general knowledge is still good, but will they get to utilize their two years? Or will it vanish from eServices?

Eclipse

To my understanding, neither A, not B-Cuts expire, unless your wing decides they do.

In this case, based on the text, it appears only A's get the refresher and B's will have to do the full iCut, which makes sense, since there'd be a
cold mess if you started expiring A-Cuts and had to reel in a bunch of equipment.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

The beauty of it.......is that even if you have had your ACUT forever......it should not be a problem getting the ICUT modules done.  Just go online and get it done.

So...no need to grandfather anyone.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

Yeah, I'm not worried about converting my ancient ACUT to ICUT, even if it meant doing the whole thing, which I'll probably do. My concern is that BCUT not being mentioned at all, and for those who've done it, spent the time, etc.. that they lose what they have, does it fold with additions, etc. It's not mentioned at all. If that means they keep it, and the option for renew/refresh is ICUT, that's fine. but if the thing goes poof, then it's not.

AngelWings

:-X
EDIT: posted too quickly, I am really anxious for the ICUT to be released.

SarDragon

As posted in the ICUT thread:

Quote from: SarDragon on August 08, 2012, 03:51:52 AM
Quote from: spacecommand on August 08, 2012, 03:40:24 AM
No info though on BCUT being grandfathered in?  I just spent a Saturday not too long ago taking a BCUT course, with "outdoor practice" and doing different practice scenarios with an evaluator.   

Quote from: CAPR 100-1, para 5.2.b.b. Members authorized to operate on CAP frequencies on the issue date of this regulation, including for both Communications Program and ES Program, as well as other administrative reasons, must requalify within 3 years by taking the first module of the ICUT course, Orientation to the CAP Communications System, and completing the online test. Completion of the ICUT modules on operation of VHF-FM radios and standard radio operating procedures is optional for those previously qualified for a CAPF 76, Radio Station Authorization.

Essentially, everyone who currently has an ROA will need to upgrade. It would be best to do it ASAP.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: a2capt on August 10, 2012, 12:44:38 AM
Yeah, I'm not worried about converting my ancient ACUT to ICUT, even if it meant doing the whole thing, which I'll probably do. My concern is that BCUT not being mentioned at all, and for those who've done it, spent the time, etc.. that they lose what they have, does it fold with additions, etc. It's not mentioned at all. If that means they keep it, and the option for renew/refresh is ICUT, that's fine. but if the thing goes poof, then it's not.
So...they spend an evening on the computer adn be done with it.  Again the beauty is that NOW we don't have to wait six months and drive for an hour to get our BCUT.....just knock it out.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

I spoke with the Wing DC tonight.

The test is scheduled and expected to hit on 20 Aug.

All current card holders, both A- and B-, will have two years from the release to complete any update training.

"That Others May Zoom"