are we now the civil patrol?

Started by starshippe, October 27, 2011, 02:37:44 PM

davidsinn

Quote from: NCRblues on October 27, 2011, 06:09:35 PM
Wow...

Didn’t it take congress until April to pass the last budget? So, grounded from Oct-Apl?

The congress has not passed a budget in three years. They have failed at one of their few mandated duties.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

lordmonar

So....we are grounded for everything but "real world", GF and Falcon Virgo missions.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NCRblues

Quote from: lordmonar on October 27, 2011, 07:07:42 PM
So....we are grounded for everything but "real world", GF and Falcon Virgo missions.

Hope everyone has a good book, its going to be a long winter.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Spaceman3750

Since ground ops without a CAP vehicle don't incur maintenance and therefore don't obligate federal money, can you still run ground training on a C number?

a2capt

But their Board Meeting will go on, with half a hotel full of $100+/night rooms, and platters of food. Just great.
As for hotel bookings, you say it's a week away? Every hotel i've ever stayed at was either the day before, or with most being as late as the afternoon that the reservation starts, to cancel with a phone call. So..  start callin'.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: a2capt on October 27, 2011, 07:34:58 PM
But their Board Meeting will go on, with half a hotel full of $100+/night rooms, and platters of food. Just great.
As for hotel bookings, you say it's a week away? Every hotel i've ever stayed at was either the day before, or with most being as late as the afternoon that the reservation starts, to cancel with a phone call. So..  start callin'.

I thought that the NEC meeting was at Maxwell... Shouldn't they be staying in VOQ?

a2capt

..and if they hadn't have gotten so picky with Member Owned aircraft, some of us are more than willing to fund gas to fly, and eat our own maintenance time. After all, the airplane is there, fly it or not, it's still gonna cost you..  might as well do some good with it, and fly cadets. Instead.. we can't.

For an organization that was founded on contributions and participation, it sure is amazing how they've turned their backs to it in the name of a paint scheme.

Eclipse

For the record, and who knows how tings will shake out, the message posted by FW only covers about 3 weeks, a period of time generally slow
because of funds being on hold in the new fiscal year, and past that we are into Thanksgiving and end of year holidays - a time many units
don't even meet.

That doesn't make this any more "fun", and it sure looks dark on paper, but the effect for most units and activities will be negligible into early next year. (Though people with stuff scheduled for the next few weeks, obviously, will be greatly impacted, we have missions this weekend that are
up in the air at least as of right now).

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on October 27, 2011, 07:36:10 PMI thought that the NEC meeting was at Maxwell... Shouldn't they be staying in VOQ?
D'oh! So it's about half.  I've got NB meetings on my mind instead, having discussed the Baltimore one recently.

Spaceman3750

In my unit we're most concerned about FCU and new member packets - if it only goes to November 18 it's not a big deal but if history repeats itself it could be way longer than that.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on October 27, 2011, 07:48:07 PM
In my unit we're most concerned about FCU and new member packets - if it only goes to November 18 it's not a big deal but if history repeats itself it could be way longer than that.

Our wing is also counting on training funds to ramp up for the next eval in February.  Not looking forward to trying to drum up
interest with no money over Christmas, so "fingers crossed".

"That Others May Zoom"

Mark_Wheeler

The same letter is now posted as the first thing you see when you open up WMIRS.

Mark

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on October 27, 2011, 07:54:09 PM

Our wing is also counting on training funds to ramp up for the next eval in February.  Not looking forward to trying to drum up

Hence why I asked about unfunded C training on the ground side... I've actually got a strong run at a ground team going and I don't want to lose that because Congress can't stop squabbling.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on October 27, 2011, 07:56:15 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 27, 2011, 07:54:09 PM

Hence why I asked about unfunded C training on the ground side... I've actually got a strong run at a ground team going and I don't want to lose that because Congress can't stop squabbling.

At least as of today, the all-stop says everybody.  That doesn't stop a unit from going to play in the woods, but they can't get mission credit, at least for now.

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

Does anyone know if the halt on new member kits includes the membership card, or just the binder and pamphlets?  I'm wondering if I should tell a couple potential members that are about ready to join to hold off on sending their checks until this is resolved since they're not going to get much benefit out of CAP for the next little while...  Might as well have their year start when they can do something...  Thoughts? 

After speaking with commander today, we are planning to use this time to conduct classroom training...  Our SAREX that was supposed to be on the 19th (we're assuming at this point we will not have funding for a while, if we get it we'll reevaluate then) is now going to be a classroom A/BCUT class.  We're going to do scanner/observer, MSA and MRO courses.  We're not looking at this as dead time, rather as a chance to get people trained up and ready to go when the funding for sorties comes back. 

Al Sayre

I may hold up the plastic membership cards, but the new members can (and should) print a temporary ID card from e-Services as soon as they pop up on the roster.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Spaceman3750

I love public affairs spin...

QuoteCAP continuing Air Force-assigned missions despite federal budget uncertainty

lordmonar

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on October 27, 2011, 10:35:24 PM
I love public affairs spin...

QuoteCAP continuing Air Force-assigned missions despite federal budget uncertainty
Spin?

It let's the customer know that we are still flying SAR and DR missions even though we have stopped other operations.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on October 27, 2011, 04:41:15 PM
Happens every year in some form or another.
Oh, it isn't that unusual for some form of slow down to happen in September, which is the end of the federal fiscal year, as agencies try to figure out exactly how much they have left so that they don't overspend.  But this seems a bit more extreme than a normal occurrence.  Cutting out sending materials to new members?  What are we talking about here, maybe a few thousand dollars if that?  Worrying about maintenance costs associated with C missions?

NCRblues

Quote from: RiverAux on October 27, 2011, 11:25:34 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 27, 2011, 04:41:15 PM
Happens every year in some form or another.
Oh, it isn't that unusual for some form of slow down to happen in September, which is the end of the federal fiscal year, as agencies try to figure out exactly how much they have left so that they don't overspend.  But this seems a bit more extreme than a normal occurrence.  Cutting out sending materials to new members?  What are we talking about here, maybe a few thousand dollars if that?  Worrying about maintenance costs associated with C missions?

The reason for the "gutting" is because of a lack of prior planning on the corporations leadership fault.

A corporation this size should have a good chunk of change put away for instances just like this.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC