Emergency Care and Safety Institute

Started by pdjd7428, June 12, 2011, 06:48:37 AM

pdjd7428

I am the Health Services Officer for my squadron and am starting a first aid and CPR training program for my unit. I am an AHA BLS instructor, but the AHA doesn't teach first aid. I was referred to the Emergency Care and Safety Institute (ECSI) by another HSO. I signed up my squadron as an Education Center and myself as an instructor. They certified me as an instructor due to my EMS licensure. The training organization is run as a cooperative by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American College of Emergency Physicians. In going through the process of certifying my squadron and myself, it doesn't seem as robust a certification process as when I went through the AHA. I am wondering if anyone else teaches using this program, and if so, is it quality material and is the ECSI a worthwhile organization to be certified through?
1st Lt. Jermaine Down, EMT-I
Health Services Officer
Southwest Region
SWR-SWR-001
HM3(FMF) US Navy 2002-2006

fyrfitrmedic

I've taught at my home unit and elsewhere using various ECSI materials ranging from CPR through emergency medical responder and a bunch of stuff in between. ECSI is partnered with the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons and the American College of Emergency Physicians, both of which oversee and approve content.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

lordmonar

Personally I think that a Wilderness First Aid Course is the most appropriate for Ground Teams.

As a former Red Cross First Aid and First Responder instructor the ARC courses are good....but their assupmtions is aimed more at URBAN areas with a fast EMT response.  CERT is a close second...but again it assumes that help is on it's way.

NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) teaches four levels of Wilderness First Aid.  I have not taken their course but have their book and it is very good. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SARDOC

ECSI is a program that I've seen used and it meets the needs of the regulation.  They also tend to be cheaper than the others

Eclipse

Whether this is acceptable will be up to your wimg's eso or designate, better ping him before spending too much time or money on this.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: pdjd7428 on June 12, 2011, 06:48:37 AM
but the AHA doesn't teach first aid.

Check with your AHA TC - the ones around here teach Heartsaver First Aid.

That said, I second lordmonar's WFA course recommendation. I sat through a good portion of one last weekend as I'm getting ready to bridge into teaching it - it teaches good skills such as assessment and evacuation decisions & procedures, etc.

GroundHawg

We use ECSI and have had no problems with the curriculum's whatsoever. It comes down once again to the instructor and how the materials are presented. I will agree with lordmonar that a wilderness focused course is in need. I have taken a NOLS course, and have not found better training anywhere.

sarmed1

I have found the ECSI courses to be the best option around for CAP.  The AAOS books that they use are first rate.  A number of EMS programs in my area use their texts for EMT & Paramedic.  You cant beat them as far as cost.  You need to have an instructor tool kit for each course you teach.  You only pay cost of supplies (ie text book; they prefer each studen to have one to keep, but its not a requirement) and for additional  certification cards. (I think $5 per card.....sheet of 6 cards) f you are set up as a teaching center, there is a reduced cost of publications as well as a >5 (I think) price reduction.  They equivilent most medical related certifications to their instructor status.

The WFA program they have is modular:  it provides for a 8 hour basic , 16 hour intermediate or 36 hour advanced options. 

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

GroundHawg

Quote from: sarmed1 on June 13, 2011, 03:27:41 AM

The WFA program they have is modular:  it provides for a 8 hour basic , 16 hour intermediate or 36 hour advanced options. 

mk

I wish anyone remotely close to my squadron offered this option. I guess I could always do a train the trainer...

Larry Mangum

The WFA course offered by ECSI is what is used by NESA.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

sarmed1

Quote from: Larry Mangum on June 13, 2011, 08:24:41 PM
The WFA course offered by ECSI is what is used by NESA.
It is also the base certification for HMRS medical program (36 hour option)

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

cap235629

Just received the Wilderness First Aid Teachers Package.  Very impressed.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé