GIIEPS - CAP goes high tech

Started by RiverAux, January 27, 2011, 08:22:27 PM

SARJunkie

Why dosent cAP invest in a few BGAN or VSAT satellite internet systems.   They dont work from the air, but they do when you land at the airport. Everyone else and their brother have them....
Ex CAP Guy!

Major Lord

Quote from: A.Member on January 31, 2011, 10:13:40 PM
Quote from: Major Lord on January 31, 2011, 08:56:07 PM
Narrow band frequencies provide a narrower "tube" though which the data must pass. To send the same amount of information will require more time over a narrower channel. Most CAP people are probably not into SSTV, since its a little outdated, but it is roughly comparable to sending a FAX. Given enough time, you can send any resolution and size photo you want.

Major Lord
Agree that it is antiquated.  However, what it does offer is the ability to transmit and receive images over a frequency when other technology may not be available (ie cell service, internet, etc.).  As such, it's a technology that can be beneficial in a real emergency, even if it's not particularly glamorous.

Preaching to the choir! I love SSTV, and it is cheap and easily adaptable to our current gear. There is a company selling a combined camera and SSTV camera about 2 inches square that could literally be built into a Com Microphone.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

davidsinn

Quote from: SARJunkie on January 31, 2011, 10:36:39 PM
Why dosent cAP invest in a few BGAN or VSAT satellite internet systems.   They dont work from the air, but they do when you land at the airport. Everyone else and their brother have them....

With modern data sizes it would literally be faster and cheaper to fly and hand deliver a thumb drive with pictures to nearly anywhere in the country.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SARJunkie

Not really.  200 bucks a month will get you 1Mb upload by 2Mb Download Via satellite.

What if you dont have internet, and need 'real time' photos?
Ex CAP Guy!

Spaceman3750

Quote from: SARJunkie on January 31, 2011, 11:36:39 PM
Not really.  200 bucks a month will get you 1Mb upload by 2Mb Download Via satellite.

What if you dont have internet, and need 'real time' photos?

$2400/yr for one unit, which in many places would sit on the shelf at wing HQ?

Whatever happened to SDIS?

SARJunkie

Why would it sit on the shelf?  how many times have you been to an activity that dosent have sufficient internet?  SAREX's, Cadet Special Acts, Encampments.....  The usage is endless. and of course REDCAPS and DR Missions.

SDIS is dead, Globalstar craped the bed, and dosen't have enough birds in the sky for any decent coverage.
Ex CAP Guy!

Spaceman3750

Quote from: SARJunkie on January 31, 2011, 11:52:45 PM
Why would it sit on the shelf?  how many times have you been to an activity that dosent have sufficient internet?  SAREX's, Cadet Special Acts, Encampments.....  The usage is endless. and of course REDCAPS and DR Missions.

In short? GOBs & hoarders. I'm not aware of those types in my area/wing but I am confident they're out there.

SARJunkie

GOB's?

Horders?  im not following?
Ex CAP Guy!

a2capt

The hoarders who like 'trophies' to stay with them, and make it too hard to get at by establishing hoops and hurdles to get to it.

..and the GOBs who apply that logic above only to people outside their "network".

SARJunkie

Easy...FIRE THEM!

Tell them to fly a kite!

Ex CAP Guy!

JoeTomasone

Narrow band frequencies provide a narrower "tube" though which the data must pass. To send the same amount of information will require more time over a narrower channel. Most CAP people are probably not into SSTV, since its a little outdated, but it is roughly comparable to sending a FAX. Given enough time, you can send any resolution and size photo you want.

Major Lord
Agree that it is antiquated.  However, what it does offer is the ability to transmit and receive images over a frequency when other technology may not be available (ie cell service, internet, etc.).  As such, it's a technology that can be beneficial in a real emergency, even if it's not particularly glamorous.

It's also not geographically diverse; i.e. the aircraft will have to fly close enough to the intended receiver and loiter in order to transmit the data.   If you're gonna do that, why not fly somewhere that cell service IS available, land, and transmit more in a shorter period of time while not burning fuel?

bosshawk

Perhaps attach the GIIEPS to the kite?  Determine whether or not there is enough weight allowance to attach ARCHER and SDIS to it, also.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SARJunkie

Im sure they would all lmake a great wheel chock! 
Ex CAP Guy!

A.Member

Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 01, 2011, 01:14:16 AM

Major Lord

It's also not geographically diverse; i.e. the aircraft will have to fly close enough to the intended receiver and loiter in order to transmit the data.   If you're gonna do that, why not fly somewhere that cell service IS available, land, and transmit more in a shorter period of time while not burning fuel?
That would take much longer.  You make it sound as if transmission takes hours.  It doesn't - not even close.  We're talking minutes.   

The longest transmission of a single photo I've seen is about 3 min. or so and that was a higher resolution photo.  In most cases, a quick, lower resolution image (quicker transmit time) is good enough to determine whether additional info is needed.  If it is, a higher res. image can be sent (note:  the photo does not need to be retaken).  Resolution was good enough for all DR assessments I've seen (real world).   High birds can be used as repeaters.  Again, this is not cutting edge technology but cutting edge is not always needed.   Fact is that it works, plain and simple, and that's what it's really about.  A low cost, practical solution that meets the demand - isn't that really CAP?!
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

SARJunkie

So you take the pic and send it via slowscan.  you still have to have a ground receive station within LOS of the bird.  How does the ground station get the image to the client?  they still need internet access...
Ex CAP Guy!

A.Member

Quote from: SARJunkie on February 01, 2011, 03:41:18 AM
So you take the pic and send it via slowscan.  you still have to have a ground receive station within LOS of the bird.  How does the ground station get the image to the client?  they still need internet access...
Ground station only has to be LOS from the final send.   Again, high birds can serve as repeaters to extend range.   As a result, the ground station can be a looong way from the target/originator.

In the real world cases I've worked, CAP had a comm center co-located in or adjacent to a command center with the client (other local, state, and federal agencies).  There was no need to send the image elsewhere.  Decision makers were there, on-site and could review the images immediately.  No internet required.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

JoeTomasone

Quote from: A.Member on February 01, 2011, 03:20:16 AM

The longest transmission of a single photo I've seen is about 3 min. or so and that was a higher resolution photo.  In most cases, a quick, lower resolution image (quicker transmit time) is good enough to determine whether additional info is needed.  If it is, a higher res. image can be sent (note:  the photo does not need to be retaken).  Resolution was good enough for all DR assessments I've seen (real world).   High birds can be used as repeaters.  Again, this is not cutting edge technology but cutting edge is not always needed.   Fact is that it works, plain and simple, and that's what it's really about.  A low cost, practical solution that meets the demand - isn't that really CAP?!

For Deepwater Horizon, hundreds of pictures of the coastline PER SORTIE were taken.   For FLWGs RECON program, it could be dozens.   Now, if all you have is one picture to transmit, SSTV might work for you - but if we're talking about lots of images, that's not going to cut it - and lets not forget that SSTV requires an active operator on the other side to receive, unlike one of the several methods you could transfer files over the internet.   

Please elaborate on what set of circumstances a highbird would reasonably extend the comms range of another aircraft in which it would not be more expeditious to have the aircraft simply fly to the recipient and transmit.   I can't come up with any.

A.Member

Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 01, 2011, 04:16:55 AM
For Deepwater Horizon, hundreds of pictures of the coastline PER SORTIE were taken.   For FLWGs RECON program, it could be dozens.   Now, if all you have is one picture to transmit, SSTV might work for you - but if we're talking about lots of images, that's not going to cut it - and lets not forget that SSTV requires an active operator on the other side to receive, unlike one of the several methods you could transfer files over the internet.
So, think about those scenarios for a minute.   Are the resources on the receiving side, ie the client, truly able to evaluate/analyze hundreds of pictures per sortie near real time even if you could get them there?  I highly doubt it.  So, in that case, I agree with you.   It's best to simply RTB and bring the card with you.  Again, use the right solution for the situation.

As for the operator, you already have people in comms anyway.   That said, it doesn't require an "active operator" any more so than any other solution with file transfer to the internet (as a matter of fact, the way ours is set up, all transmitted images are picked up by a repeater and automatically loaded to secure webpage).  Regardless, in either case, somebody on the receiving end will want to confirm the images were received.

Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 01, 2011, 04:16:55 AM
Please elaborate on what set of circumstances a highbird would reasonably extend the comms range of another aircraft in which it would not be more expeditious to have the aircraft simply fly to the recipient and transmit.   I can't come up with any.
I can come up with many.   The DR situations I've been involved with (ex. flooding, high winds) had very specific sorties with multiple targets.  I had photos (typically 4) taken of a target, then transmitted them while in route to the next target.  These target could 60 miles apart.   Do you honestly think a 172 can RTB, land, hand off images, take off again, and move to a new target quicker than the image transfer?   You can't really believe that.

N Harmon

Yeah, I can't see needing real time imagery for 99% of the missions we fly. So having a few kits like this would be a good idea. But I think it would be better if we assigned them to specialized teams and then moved the teams around with the equipment. That way it doesn't arrive on someone's doorstep who has never used it before.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Major Lord

If the need for airborne imagery is purely strategic, the technique of dropping off an SD card or memory module is the probably the best way to provide high res images. I think its important to distinguish between the relatively low grade of imagery involved in video, compared to the generally superior still image from film or high res digital imagery. If we have a need for video, its most likely to be purely tactical (i.e. giving Ground teams real-time data concerned with team movement and hazards...like zombies) Sending high resolution video in real time is a tall and pricey order!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."