Another ranger program??

Started by NCRblues, October 08, 2010, 07:16:31 AM

RiverAux

Incidentally, the last time this issue came up I submitted a question to the KB and was told that these were supposed to be closed book.  I don't know if it ever made it in the KB itself (I've asked about 5 questions and none were ever actually placed in the KB for some reason).  So, I've got no proof of that answer, but ask them yourself if you'd like. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on November 13, 2010, 02:02:33 PM
Last time I looked there were about 20 GT tasks that could be handled by a written quiz.  Just about all of the GT3 tasks are included.  But, haow about O-0101?  Run across one of those snakes and you're not going to have time to dig the guide out of your backpack to figure out if it is dangerous or not.

Sure, there are a lot of ways things can be done - dog tasking - "stay away from the dogs".  Done.

See any snake, move away.  Done.

That doesn't mean because yo have decided to do things through a PME that the rest of the universe is required to.

Quote from: RiverAux on November 13, 2010, 02:38:59 PM
Incidentally, the last time this issue came up I submitted a question to the KB and was told that these were supposed to be closed book.  I don't know if it ever made it in the KB itself (I've asked about 5 questions and none were ever actually placed in the KB for some reason).  So, I've got no proof of that answer, but ask them yourself if you'd like.

No need.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: RiverAux on November 13, 2010, 02:38:59 PM
So, the KB says you can't use the task guide - but that response is not available to anyone but you. At the same time, the vast majority of the tasks say you can use the task guide in the evaluation instructions. Guess which one most members will use?

Hint - test says you can use book means it's open book, despite what someone at NHQ meant or what is supposed to be.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: RiverAux on November 13, 2010, 02:02:33 PM
Last time I looked there were about 20 GT tasks that could be handled by a written quiz.

You just reminded me. I'm working on that.

RiverAux

Quote from: arajca on November 13, 2010, 05:50:31 PM
Hint - test says you can use book means it's open book, despite what someone at NHQ meant or what is supposed to be.
And where the test says that, I agree with you.  But, it does not in many cases in the task guide (GT specifically - I haven't look at the others recently). 

husker

Quote from: RiverAux on November 12, 2010, 10:22:34 PM
Last I heard, NESA was allowing use of the task guide when students were being tested for their quals.  If that is still the case, then NESA most certainly is in the wrong.  As long as that is the case, I won't be attending and won't really be encouraging others to do so as their testing system is substandard as far as I'm concerned.

At least in GSAR, this is not true.  We do not allow the use of the task guide when evaluating either knowledge based or  practical tasks.
Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov

BTCS1*

If you have to look in a book to check, you don't know it. Simple as that.
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: BTCS1* on November 16, 2010, 01:48:22 AM
If you have to look in a book to check, you don't know it. Simple as that.

Really?  How do you identify the natural hazards?  Draw them from memory?

Have you ever seen a pilot use a checklist?

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2010, 01:50:32 AM
Well, you could perform the task test as required in the task guide -- obtain photos of 1 haz plant, 5 haz animals, and a drawing/picture of a haz terrain feature and have the student correctly identify all 7 and have them identify 2 ways of avoiding the hazards in 6/7 photos. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on November 16, 2010, 01:58:35 AM
Well, you could perform the task test as required in the task guide -- obtain photos of 1 haz plant, 5 haz animals, and a drawing/picture of a haz terrain feature and have the student correctly identify all 7 and have them identify 2 ways of avoiding the hazards in 6/7 photos.

If you have the task guide in your hand, you are already holding pictures of the hazardous plants and animals.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

There's a difference between a reference and finding the answer because you don't know it.

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on November 16, 2010, 02:06:09 AM
There's a difference between a reference and finding the answer because you don't know it.

Agreed, and if you can't tell the difference, you should not be an SET.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2010, 02:04:15 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on November 16, 2010, 01:58:35 AM

If you have the task guide in your hand, you are already holding pictures of the hazardous plants and animals.
"Cadet Smith -- look at this picture labeled "copperhead snake" and tell me what hazardous animal is pictured"
"Sir, that is a copperhead snake"
"Congratulation Cadet Smith, you know your natural hazards, where is your SQTR so I can sign it?"

Eclipse

I love you, man, value your service, and respect your contributions here.

"That Others May Zoom"

ranger_freak

Quote from: PA Guy on October 08, 2010, 11:19:15 AM
Training is seldom a bad thing.  The problem here is what seems to follow the "Ranger" training, the almost inevitable rush toward bling and developing the elitist attitudes.  Just call it SAR or GT training and move on.

Shouldn't you want an elitist attitude?  We as CAP members search for missing people.  If you were a missing person, would you care if your searchers called something "ranger training" or "ground team training"?  I don't think you would.  If calling it ranger gets more people involved then HOORAH!!!!!!

NCRblues

Quote from: ranger_freak on June 18, 2012, 06:24:59 PM
Quote from: PA Guy on October 08, 2010, 11:19:15 AM
Training is seldom a bad thing.  The problem here is what seems to follow the "Ranger" training, the almost inevitable rush toward bling and developing the elitist attitudes.  Just call it SAR or GT training and move on.

Shouldn't you want an elitist attitude?  We as CAP members search for missing people.  If you were a missing person, would you care if your searchers called something "ranger training" or "ground team training"?  I don't think you would.  If calling it ranger gets more people involved then HOORAH!!!!!!

First...holy necro batman....

Second...  ::) ranger that  ::)
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

ranger_freak

What do you mean?  Are you being racist?

Pylon

Quote from: ranger_freak on June 18, 2012, 06:44:28 PM

No.  He said "necro" short for "thread necromancy" as in "bringing back to life long dead threads."   See: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/thread_necromancy

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: ranger_freak on June 18, 2012, 06:44:28 PM

The dictionary is your friend, use it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: ranger_freak on June 18, 2012, 06:24:59 PMShouldn't you want an elitist attitude?  We as CAP members search for missing people.  If you were a missing person, would you care if your searchers called something "ranger training" or "ground team training"?  I don't think you would.  If calling it ranger gets more people involved then

Except the attitude fostered by this optional high adventure activity creeps into the required components of the  CP, which is unacceptable.

"That Others May Zoom"