Emergency Lights on Vehicles

Started by DBlair, October 01, 2010, 06:14:59 PM

DBlair

I remember back in NJWG during the 1990s (not sure if this is still the case), CAP members were authorized by the state to display blue emergency lights on their vehicles during a mission if they were in positions of Mission Coordinator (now 'Incident Commander'), Mission Pilot, or Ground Team Leader.

I was curious if other Wings have any such agreement with the state. If not, are there any non-state regulated practices used in your Wing? For example, I've heard that yellow caution lights are used in some Wings, etc.

This came up in a recent discussion and it seems to be an interesting and somewhat unique situation. Any thoughts?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

manfredvonrichthofen

Indiana used to have red and blue lights in 99-03, but that went out the window. I would think that blue light boxes would be ok, but the red could just be done without. We aren't fire or police. Now the only thing that is allowed in Indiana is yellow and/or white.

Eclipse

Quote from: DBlair on October 01, 2010, 06:14:59 PMI was curious if other Wings have any such agreement with the state.

Yes - we agree not to put lights on our vehicles and the state police agree not to arrest us.

There are a few members with orange magnet strobe lights, but beyond that the wing does not and cannot authorize blue or red lights for our members.  The few who show up with blue or red are doing so under their association with some other agency and are not allowed to use them during CAP operations.

We've also had a few "issues" with this, as you can imagine.

((*sigh*))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk1qQU836XQ

"That Others May Zoom"

CommGeek

Is it worth the average 3 minutes that you would gain running 'Emergency'?

We are not first responders.  We have nothing to gain with lights.

When was the last time you saw an ambulance or firetruck at a red light, with all its lights a sirens flashing, and then some stupid driver 'not see it' and keep going?  What good would a single blue or red light due on a POV?  Its more dangerous than good! CAP is in now way able to accept the liability!  too much risk!

I can see a CAP yahoo with their red lights not even stopping at a traffic light and going right through....not good!

ELTHunter

I'm just wondering why a Mission Pilot would need a blue light....on a ground vehicle any way.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

CommGeek

They have a red light on their plane!  hahaha

The meaning of red and blue differ from State to State...  FL   Blue = Law, Red = everyone else

CommGeek

Quote from: ELTHunter on October 01, 2010, 06:32:24 PM
I'm just wondering why a Mission Pilot would need a blue light....on a ground vehicle any way.

So they can blow through stop lights, and get to the plane 3 minutes faster than they normally would...
... Just so they can wait 20 min for the rest of the crew!   

DBlair

Quote from: Eclipse on October 01, 2010, 06:21:54 PM
Quote from: DBlair on October 01, 2010, 06:14:59 PMI was curious if other Wings have any such agreement with the state.

Yes - we agree not to put lights on our vehicles and the state police agree not to arrest us.

We've also had a few "issues" with this, as you can imagine.

lol I remember back then, the most common issue were members with blue lights driving into states where blue = law enforcement. The police didn't seem to like that very much. lol Also, as with EMS, Fire, etc, of course there were a few members who seemed to stretch things considerably in liberally using their lights. This has probably been the case in other states as well, haulting any such light authorizations.

I just figured I'd ask as this came up in a conversation recently and it seemed to be a unique situation of blue lights being authorized and so I was curious.

Just for clarification... in NJ, red lights = police, blue lights = Fire, EMS, etc.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

EMT-83

Quote from: CommGeek on October 01, 2010, 06:23:17 PM
Is it worth the average 3 minutes that you would gain running 'Emergency'?

Three minutes is probably stretching it. A lot.

CommGeek

Our Dept did a study over a  1 year period...County wide...so that also included the City and Rural.

bottom line is its not worth it.

cap235629

I see a need for a yellow/amber mini-light bar on ground team vehicles to help with visibility at night (have nearly been run down DFing). I also can see a use for a public address system like most sirens have, but NOT a siren.  We have many missing person searches here and the ability to project a voice louder than yelling can really be useful.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

PHall

Other then some yellow "please don't hit me lights" on Ground Team vehicles to be used when you're parked on the side of the road, I can not think of a reason why a CAP vehicle would need lights.

I work for AT&T and I am at the side of the road all the time. Heck, some times we're in the middle of the road!
And the only flashing lights we have are the four-way flashers and a single yellow-orange strobe light.
Seems to work for us...

You want a bit more visibility at the side of the road, get some orange traffic cones. 3 or 4 should be enough.
The 12 or 18 inch size works pretty good. Most come with reflective tape on them too.
You can find them at most home improvement stores (Lowes, Home Depot, etc...).

SarDragon

Having a yellow light helps with airfield operations, too.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Jerry Jacobs

My County SAR Team is authorized to drive Code 3 (With lights and sirens), but only In the event of heavy traffic and it is believed the saved time would be critical in life saving. That being said, we still have to follow the speed limit, stop at lights and stop signs and follow the rules of the road.

From a CAP perspective I do not see any use of Code 3 lights except when driving on tarmacs, on the side of the road in visibility and MAYBE in a Disaster relief setting. We have no need for Code 3 driving

Eclipse

This is all CAP members need on their POV's.

(FYI, Google that term at your own risk!)

"That Others May Zoom"

Tubacap

I have found a yellow rotating strobe useful for when I am on the side of the road at night and on airports.  The emergency flashers are good, but the strobe makes people actually slow down and pay attention.  4 way flashers do not always have the same effect on people.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on October 02, 2010, 12:45:15 AM
This is all CAP members need on their POV's.

(FYI, Google that term at your own risk!)

Sadly, the tower flowers will not accept that lighting for driving around on the airfield. Over half of the missions I've been on have been on an airfield. Having my little cigarette lighter powered yellow light has made my job easier.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Custer

Quote from: DBlair on October 01, 2010, 06:14:59 PMI remember back in NJWG during the 1990s (not sure if this is still the case), CAP members were authorized by the state to display blue emergency lights on their vehicles during a mission if they were in positions of Mission Coordinator (now 'Incident Commander'), Mission Pilot, or Ground Team Leader.

I was in JJ Wing in the 70's.  Back then everybody could display blue.  Only red was restricted for law enforcement use.

later in California sometime in the early 80's I remember listening on on the radio net where we were told we had to have all light bars covered until further notice - that never came.

a2capt

Quote from: SarDragon on October 02, 2010, 01:04:45 AMHaving my little cigarette lighter powered yellow light has made my job easier.
Yup... push roof glass button, reach out and place light. Makes airport people happy. Flashers don't. .. around here.

Lord of the North

CAPR 77-1 paragraph 10f

Marking of rescue vehicles must conform to federal, state, and local laws. The type of light bar used on
vehicles must be approved in writing by the wing commander (region commander if a region vehicle) and must
follow the narrowest guidelines established by the resident state and all surrounding states. The colors used on
approved light bars will be amber or amber/white.. The colors red and blue on light bars or the use of sirens are not
authorized for use on any CAP vehicle.