Mixed messages about medical services

Started by RiverAux, May 13, 2010, 07:42:12 PM

RiverAux

As most of us know, CAP has tried its best to devise language that makes it pretty clear that we're not here to provide medical care for anyone, but at the same one of our reasons for being here is responding to emergencies  that have the potential need for CAP members to provide care for those who have been injured.  Personally, I don't think they've come up with a rational approach to this whole situation, but lets look at a specific example that cropped up on VolunteerNow: http://www.capvolunteernow.com/news.cfm/nev_cadets_call_on_emergency_skills_at_scout_expo?show=news&newsID=7619

In this case, dozens of CAP members performed a roving "safety patrol" at a Boy Scout encampment and apparently had "first aid response teams" that were called when needed.

Does this sound like a proper duty for CAP members given our regulations regarding first aid?  In this case we're looking at a planned non-CAP event where CAP members were tasked with being first responders in incidents where first aid might be necessary. 

That is worlds apart from happening to be at someone else's event and spontaneously responding to an emergency which I think is what CAP would really prefer.

The applicable langauge from 60-3 would seem to be this:
QuoteCAP is not an emergency medical care or paramedic organization and should not advertise itself as such. CAP will not be the primary provider of medical support on missions or training events though qualified personnel can be used to support such activities.

One might claim that CAP was just supporting the camp nurse and therefore would be covered, but that would be a close call in my book.

To be clear, I actually think CAP should be able to provide advanced medical care and I think this sort of thing is a great mission for CAP, but it seems to me that it goes against what CAP wants us to do, yet here it is being trumpeted by our PA folks. 

Incidentally, shouldn't the Boy Scouts have had plenty of their own folks with First Aid merit badges walking around?

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on May 13, 2010, 07:42:12 PM
Incidentally, shouldn't the Boy Scouts have had plenty of their own folks with First Aid merit badges walking around?

As I read that all I could think was how many noses were out of joint that CAP was the responder in that situation.  I know I'd have an
"opinion" if Boy Scouts were helping CAP members at an airshow or something - it doesn't really make any sense.

I don't think they were really over the line, but I don't understand why we were there to start with.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Reminds me of that deal when the CAP cadets were driving around assisting stranded motorists a couple of years ago. I think some people just want to help way to much.

SJFedor

Yeahhhh. That's a huge liability right there. Ambulance services can provide standby EMS crews for these types of events, who are licensed and insured to provide these services. Not a good call.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

JayT

"Emergency First Aid Response Teams" sounds like an emergency medic or paramedical response.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Short Field

Or maybe a PAO is just a little too good at trying to write an exciting news story...

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Short Field

CAP is very clear about what we can and cannot do.  There is no mixed message except in the minds of people who don't want to be restrained in their actions.
Wilson #2640

AirAux

Might have evolved out of a combination CAP/BSA squadron??

RiverAux

Quote from: Short Field on May 13, 2010, 11:45:14 PM
Or maybe a PAO is just a little too good at trying to write an exciting news story...
Well, I don't entirely discount that as a possibility, but in this case they would have had to radically mistate or make up the statements of concern.
QuoteCAP is very clear about what we can and cannot do.  There is no mixed message except in the minds of people who don't want to be restrained in their actions.
By this do you mean that you believe that having CAP members specifically tasked to be available to perform first aid at a non-CAP event falls within our regulations? Or are you saying that it was clearly not allowed and they messed up by taking on that task?

JayT

Quote from: RiverAux on May 14, 2010, 12:31:09 AM
Quote from: Short Field on May 13, 2010, 11:45:14 PM
Well, I don't entirely discount that as a possibility, but in this case they would have had to radically mistate or make up the statements of concern.
QuoteCAP is very clear about what we can and cannot do.  There is no mixed message except in the minds of people who don't want to be restrained in their actions.
By this do you mean that you believe that having CAP members specifically tasked to be available to perform first aid at a non-CAP event falls within our regulations? Or are you saying that it was clearly not allowed and they messed up by taking on that task?

Having CAP memebers specifically tasked with "emergency first aid responders" is pretty clearly against the regulation.

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Short Field

Quote from: JThemann on May 14, 2010, 01:22:33 AM
Having CAP memebers specifically tasked with "emergency first aid responders" is pretty clearly against the regulation.
Especially considering that neither of the cadets had first aid training, BCUT, or any of the FEMA courses.  One cadet did have his GES qualification.  This is from Ops Quals.

Quote from: RiverAux on May 14, 2010, 12:31:09 AM
but in this case they would have had to radically mistate or make up the statements of concern.
Oh, someone passes out, a distress call goes out, and the CAP command post sends out a C/AIC and a C/SrA to take care of the situation - neither of whom has any first aid training. No CAP adult supervision was provided?  The cadets made an initial medical assessment and then called a nurse?  The nurse is asking the cadets "What should you do next?".   Yep, you are right, this had to have happened exactly as written without any exaggeration at all. 
Wilson #2640

Gung Ho

Sure sounds like two cadets responded without any adult members with them. With the way I understand what CAP does not want us to do this doesn't sound right at all. I'm not saying it might not be a good mission for CAP but they don't want us doing this for our own people why would they let cadets do it for anybody else? And then to put it up on a web page for all to see

High Speed Low Drag

I noticed that the PAO was from the same squadorn as the Sq. CC and wrote this:  "Capt. David Henderson, commander of the Jim Bridger unit, led the 36-cadet safety team with organization and precision."   I agree with an earlier poster that this is a lot of extra hype; you would have thought Capt. Henderson was preparing for an OER.

My big question:  Why the heck did VolunteerNow even publish this news given how far agianst regulations it was?  I have more of a beef with that then I do the original "story."
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

RiverAux

I don't think anyone blames the cadets as in this case they were pretty clearly doing what they were told to do. 

Redbird Leader

I'm pretty impressed with the First Aid Response Team acronym.  What would the patch look like?
Commander, Redbird Cadet Sqdn (MO-801)
Captain, USAF (Ret)
Prior, never ex, cadet (Mitchell unnumbered Jul 71)

AirAux

Motto could be, "There she blows". hehe..

Short Field

Lots of clouds and lighting bolts on the patch?
Wilson #2640

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Short Field

Brown is ok but they need to make sure they don't put a torch on the patch to help light the way...
Wilson #2640

High Speed Low Drag

Torch would actually be good if they have a long blue flame on the other side.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"