Main Menu

Cadet to Senior Member

Started by ZackN, April 13, 2010, 10:17:41 PM

ZackN

Howdy all,

I'm currently a 20 y/o Cadet who recently got Married and joined the State Guard. I know this disqualifies me to be a cadet, which is okay because I'm turning 21 next month anyway. However, I had a quick question regarding the transition from Cadet to Senior.

I just had my fingerprints taken and sent to the FBI for employment with a Fire Department. I have the report in my possession that the FBI mailed back to me detailing my file (or lack there of). Can I mail a copy of this with my application to transfer membership from Cadet to Senior, instead of having to send off for another set? The record is new within the last month and I'm not sure if it matters or not, but I've already completed Lvl 1 and CPPT.

Thanks

lordmonar

1) No.  NHQ wants your finger print card...not the FBI Background Check.

2) You cannot have completed Level I as you are not yet officaly a senior member....currently you are offically NOT in CAP as of the day you were married.

Get your application form with finger print card in ASAP.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

davidsinn

Quote from: lordmonar on April 13, 2010, 10:22:05 PM

2) You cannot have completed Level I as you are not yet officaly a senior member....currently you are offically NOT in CAP as of the day you were married.

I thought they got kicked to patron status like 21 year old cadets?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ZackN

Does local PD still do the fingerprints? Or do I have to get a FAST finger print card done like I did for the State Guard? Also, HQ send me a renewed Membership card, and I still have a file, so I would venture to say I'm probably still a member...?

lordmonar

Quote from: davidsinn on April 13, 2010, 10:25:15 PM

I thought they got kicked to patron status like 21 year old cadets?
Well NHQ does not even know unless the squadron tells them so they don't automatically get kicked to patron status.

I would assume that if the squadron were on top of their game they would just do transfer to patron...but the reg does not implicatly state that.

For ZackN.

I think NHQ will accpet a FAST card...but I have not actually seen it done.  You should talk to your SQ/CC or Admin officer to see what their standard procedure is.

As for you still being a member.....like I said before NHQ does not know you got married.  When you got married it is an automatic termination according to the reg.  So technically you are not a member.  Just get your finger print card and application form in ASAP so you don't linger in LIMBO and/or create a legal issue.

Welcome to the GRAY SIDE!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Joining the Guard or reserves does not disqualify you from being a cadet unless you go on active duty.

As to local PD still doing ink - some do, some don't, but most are using Livescan and will have to pull their fingerprint
kit out of the "backup" drawer.

There is no requirement that PD do the prints, and lots of units do them themselves.  Its an art, but its not rocket science.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Quote from: Eclipse on April 13, 2010, 11:38:04 PM
Joining the Guard or reserves does not disqualify you from being a cadet unless you go on active duty.

He said State Guard, which is not quite the same thing as the Army or Air National Guard proper.  For CAPs purposes the marriage is the only relevant membership issue.
Mike Johnston

Cecil DP

You are required to use the CAP fingerprint card. When you have completed the fingerprinting send it in with a CAPF 12 with a notation on the top stating "CADET TO SENIOR" That will carry your senior membership until it's time to renew again. Along with the CAPF12 attach a copy of your Mitchell or higher award. That way you can be appointed to a Flight Officer grade without waiting the minimum of 3 months. When you're twenty one the TIG as FO counts towards your next promotion.
Quote from: MIKE on April 14, 2010, 02:03:33 AM

He said State Guard, which is not quite the same thing as the Army or Air National Guard proper.  For CAPs purposes the marriage is the only relevant membership issue.

The State Guard as compared with the National Guard is not a federal entity, so it doesn't have any impact on membership.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Slim

Actually, CPPT does carry over, assuming the OP took it within 6 months of turning 18, and has been promoted since.  Also, If he reached the Mitchell, he's already credited for completing level I.  It just won't show up in eServices until the member turns senior.

As to local PD still doing ink - some do, some don't, but most are using Livescan and will have to pull their fingerprint
kit out of the "backup" drawer.

Most departments can do a Livescan/AFIS print to the FBI volunteer card that we've always used.  Just need to make sure it contains the proper ORI (originating/requesting agency)for CAP, which was preprinted on the cards we used to get from NHQ.

Slim

SarDragon

FD258s are still available from NHQ through the online Form 8. Restricted App available to commanders, admin and pers folks, and a couple of others I don't recall.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Nick

Quote from: ZackN on April 13, 2010, 10:36:47 PM
Does local PD still do the fingerprints? Or do I have to get a FAST finger print card done like I did for the State Guard? Also, HQ send me a renewed Membership card, and I still have a file, so I would venture to say I'm probably still a member...?
You shouldn't have any problem with the LiveScan -- give them the ORI ALAFCAP00 to enter into the system when they do the prints, and give NHQ/DPX a call the next day to give them a heads up that your prints were submitted by LiveScan and the cadet to senior paperwork is en route.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus