Encampment policy reminders - 2019

Started by Eclipse, July 10, 2019, 05:14:51 PM

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Toad1168 on July 16, 2019, 02:20:26 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 16, 2019, 03:24:53 AM
Quote from: PHall on July 15, 2019, 06:53:32 PM
There have been some notable examples of some wings not complying with the "new" (over two years old now) rules in the past year.

"Two"? How about more like "eight"?

A significant number of cadets and seniors have joined and left CAP in that time
never exposed to the "old" curriculum, yet the wives tales and olde schoole ways persist.

Old habits die hard.  Cadets pass down "the way its always been" from year to year and the cycle never breaks.  Unfortunately, most senior members who get involved in cadet programs, although well intentioned, do not take the time to read and understand the regs.  Then, they sit silently while the bad, and many times against regulations, behaviours continue instead of speaking up. If they do, many times they are ignored, so they do not return.

It takes dedicated CPOs to read the regs, enforce them, and break the cycle.  Unfortunately, its harder to retrain behaviour than it is to teach it initially.

The route we're taking with our Wing going into planning next year's Encampment is "The curriculum already exists, and that's what we should be following. We shouldn't have to deviate or restructure. If there is a reason to deviate, it needs to be a good one that actually makes logical sense and benefits everyone."

We've seen a lot of cadet staffs in the past trying to develop planning teams to fill the role of what squadron commanders and other cadet officers should already be doing. And it's a very big "Why?"

Eclipse

^ We get that every year, sometimes in the "we should have a...", etc., etc.

One of the things we try to get across is that every moment on the bench they spend
reinventing or adding wheels, is one less they have to do the actual job they are their for,
which is making better cadets.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on July 16, 2019, 06:42:43 PM
^ We get that every year, sometimes in the "we should have a...", etc., etc.

One of the things we try to get across is that every moment on the bench they spend
reinventing or adding wheels, is one less they have to do the actual job they are their for,
which is making better cadets.

Exactly the Encampment-related topic of our last staff meeting.

PHall

Quote from: Toad1168 on July 16, 2019, 02:20:26 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 16, 2019, 03:24:53 AM
Quote from: PHall on July 15, 2019, 06:53:32 PM
There have been some notable examples of some wings not complying with the "new" (over two years old now) rules in the past year.

"Two"? How about more like "eight"?

A significant number of cadets and seniors have joined and left CAP in that time
never exposed to the "old" curriculum, yet the wives tales and olde schoole ways persist.

Old habits die hard.  Cadets pass down "the way its always been" from year to year and the cycle never breaks.  Unfortunately, most senior members who get involved in cadet programs, although well intentioned, do not take the time to read and understand the regs.  Then, they sit silently while the bad, and many times against regulations, behaviours continue instead of speaking up. If they do, many times they are ignored, so they do not return.

It takes dedicated CPOs to read the regs, enforce them, and break the cycle.  Unfortunately, its harder to retrain behaviour than it is to teach it initially.

Sounds like you're making excuses. It's simple, the rules changed, either comply or don't participate. It's that simple.

Fubar

Last year there was such a problem with encampments and NCSAs it warranted a letter from the National Vice Commander to all of the wings reminding them about appropriate intensity. This year I noted the push to cross-pollinate seniors across wings, although that too can suffer from self-nominated "experts" who cause more problems than they solve when visiting someone else's encampment. I'm not sure the program to have seniors visiting other wings had much success this summer or not.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Fubar on July 17, 2019, 05:25:30 AM
Last year there was such a problem with encampments and NCSAs it warranted a letter from the National Vice Commander to all of the wings reminding them about appropriate intensity. This year I noted the push to cross-pollinate seniors across wings, although that too can suffer from self-nominated "experts" who cause more problems than they solve when visiting someone else's encampment. I'm not sure the program to have seniors visiting other wings had much success this summer or not.

Do you actually believe that the ones making the visits were "...self-nominated experts...")?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Fubar

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on July 18, 2019, 09:29:31 PMDo you actually believe that the ones making the visits were "...self-nominated experts...")?

I don't recall a vetting process, just a call for volunteers.

PHall

Quote from: Fubar on July 19, 2019, 02:15:13 AM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on July 18, 2019, 09:29:31 PMDo you actually believe that the ones making the visits were "...self-nominated experts...")?

I don't recall a vetting process, just a call for volunteers.

Volunteers who were then vetted.

Fubar

Quote from: PHall on July 19, 2019, 03:41:20 AMVolunteers who were then vetted.

That's better than I remember, so that's good. What was the vetting process?

Eclipse

Updated Guide link: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Encampment_Guide_2017_3285B33361E56.pdf

It's that time of year again - reminding those on encampment staff of the rules,
regs, and policies NHQ has provided.

Every year we see something new to remind or announce.

On deck for 2019:

"Contraband shakedowns are a senior-only activity". (Page 10)

"Inspections are to be respectful, no 'trashing rooms' or 'tossing belongings' (Page 35 ยง6.4d)

The sheer number of comments and questions cadets make both here and in other online
venues is indication that while NHQ has worked hard at getting the proper messages out, and
even in some cases intervening, there are still far too many C/Amn who are "afraid" of encampment,
and far too many Cadre and Senior Staff either unaware of the proper procedures, or willfully ignoring them
in favor of "WIWAC" and "TIHWADI".

"That Others May Zoom"