IMU2 - only able to run in Local mode...

Started by jayleswo, February 05, 2008, 11:39:02 PM

jayleswo

Hi All,

I installed IMU2 today on a desktop PC running Windows Visa Home Premium. When I launch IMU2 using IMUserver.exe, it only allows me to start in Local mode. The radio buttons for LAN, Virtual and Archive are grayed out. Here's how I installed:

Downloaded and installed Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Redistributable
Downloaded and installed IMU2 2.1.2.46
Ran the DoD Certificate installer
Created a IMUdb folder in my Public folder and shared it
Used WMU to create and download the Wing database

Pete Anderson says it is a Vista permissions issue of some kind, that others have run into this and solved it, but that he doesn't know what they did and he doesn't have Vista to test this on. I disabled my firewall (Norton 360) and it makes no difference. I did sucessfully install it on a laptop with Windows XP and it works fine with the ability to select LAN, Virtual and Archive.

Anyone know how to solve this?

John Aylesworth, Lt Col, CAP
Commander, PCR-CA-151
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

floridacyclist

I'm not so sure about it being a Vista problem, as I seem to have the same exact problem on my XP laptop when connected via my cellphone. I haven't tested it yet on the LAN.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

mynetdude

Ah finally someone asks the question all of us IMU2 users have been banging our heads with.

I too have talked with Pete, again I'm not sure that his reasons are even correct as one member said it happens on windows XP, I have seen it happen with all of them XP, win2k, Vista it has to do with the IMU2 itself  TBH that isn't to say I know it all but I've had a lot of dealing with a variety of computer systems and IMU2 issues.

I contacted Col Miller in Nevada wing and he says his IMU2 works on Vista just fine, I did EXACTLY what the OP said and Col Miller's instructions are the SAME (except the DoD root certificate, you don't need that for IMU2 as it is used for uploading the data to WIMIRS).

My squadron commander has two laptops, one with win2k, the other with Vista both of them have the same problem it only works in local mode.  I have a laptop and desktop PC both of them run IMU2 just fine.

Heck, I've had to troubleshoot an issue on win2k where the IMU2 would tell me the database on the local machine didn't match the virtual host or the LAN host (depending which mode I was in) and I know that this error would come up if you didn't download the latest database prior to starting up the IMU (sometimes the IMU will update this on its own) and he would tell me that windows OS needed some updates and blah blah blah... when all I did was uninstall and reinstall and it worked.

I have computers at our squadron that just doesn't like the IMU2, they have worked before and tend to only work after each OTHER subsequent updates Pete makes to the IMU2 software itself.

If anybody has ideas/solutions about making it work on Vista my commander will be SO ESTATIC since he is bummed he bought a laptop with windows Vista and can't get it to work :(

floridacyclist

I just tried mine on dial-up and LAN today and it still would only let me in on local mode (using XP SP2). Any ideas?
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

Lancer

Quote from: floridacyclist on February 23, 2008, 03:19:51 AM
I just tried mine on dial-up and LAN today and it still would only let me in on local mode (using XP SP2). Any ideas?

You could always download MS Virtual PC and setup an XP VM and run it from there.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

Eclipse

Are you a god-user on all the machines connected? 

I would start there - if you can connect shares and open files across the machines then you can rule out network issues.  Even if you have to back-down access later, make the IDs full admins for troubleshooting.

Vista Home has limitation one might not expect from a "real" OS.  My suggestion would be dump it in favor of XP.

"That Others May Zoom"

Matt

I have the identical problem with my lil forest at our hangar...  All of the machines work fine except the Vista ones, or so it seems.  I can run it fine in LAN, Distributed or Local on the server, but when it comes to my laptop containing the new virus operating system, it a.) takes its time to start, b.) starts in local only...
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

jayleswo

Well, inexplicably, after playing around with the sharing and permissions settings for the IMUdb folder and *then* installing the newest release of IMU2, I can now get all 4 modes on Vista. Don't know why. Check to make sure the folder isn't marked read only and that Everyone and You have all permissions. Then, for fun, try reinstalling.  -- John

Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

Eclipse

quote instead of edit for a typo - sure wish we could delete posts...  :-\

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

Quote from: jayleswo on February 23, 2008, 08:17:27 PM
after playing around with the sharing and permissions settings for the IMUdb folder and *then* installing the newest release of IMU2, I can now get all 4 modes on Vista. Don't know why. Check to make sure the folder isn't marked read only and that Everyone and You have all permissions. Then, for fun, try reinstalling.  -- John

I vaguely remember some machines (mainly XP operating systems) - to include mine - had the same problem when we were setting up a bunch of them for a training session.  Your fix reminded me that setting the correct permissions was the key to getting them pass "Local" only.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

floridacyclist

I was just coming back in here to say the same thing. Make sure that the c:\imudb folder is shared and that network users have change rights on it. The program checks for network access by going out onto the network and looking back at that folder.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

Short Field

Quote from: jayleswo on February 05, 2008, 11:39:02 PM
Anyone know how to solve this?

Jayleswo,

Getting the solution to this problem posted is going to save a lot of time and frustration for a lot of folks.  I love what the IMU does for base ops, but it can get frustrating trying to troubleshoot some of the problems.

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

jayleswo

You bet! I just taught a class on IMU2 (combined with Mission Staff Assistant) yesterday and had a student run into the same problem and I couldn't solve it. Using Vista of course. I thought it had something to do with the share name and permissions, but ran out of time to troubleshoot it. If I figure it out for sure, will post the solution here. -- John

Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

mynetdude

was talking to a friend about how I didn't like using Vista because I would be using a piece of software for CAP since he is not a CAP member I could not say much but explained the problem.

He says to to turn off UAC and use "run as administrator on both the imuserver.exe and the shortcut this might work in vista.

denok

I had the same problem with Windows XP. I had to share both the IMU folder and the "wing" IMU file. It has been an issue with a couple of our laptops.

Let me know if you have any luck with this fix.

Dean K